Beta RR electric start when cold out...

Just noticed that this sometimes happens with my 17' 250RR.  When I attempt to use the electric starter for the first time of the day when its cold out (35-40 degrees or so) it sounds like it just spins and doesnt catch at all (the bendix).  Kinda of a spinning / humming noise.  After a few attempts it will eventually catch and start the bike fine.  So usually i just kick it for the first start of the day when its cold out.. And once its warmed up the E-start works as normal.  During the spring and summer i don't notice this and the electric start works perfect every time.  Just curious about this and any info is appreciated.

Have you ever pulled the ignition cover and cleaned it out and changed the oil for the bendix?  I'd recommend this be done once a year. 

5 minutes ago, Danceswithtrees said:

Have you ever pulled the ignition cover and cleaned it out and changed the oil for the bendix?  I'd recommend this be done once a year. 

Other than the time i destroyed my ignition cover on a rock, no i haven't taken it apart.  That time however, i did add oil to the bendix cavity as it suggested in the manual.  I think it was around 10ml or so if i remember.  That was about 50 hours ago. 

also just discovered that this little black plastic piece was broken on the starter and the bolt was loose on the connecting wire.  

IMG_7248.JPG

Clean out the ignition area. Flush Bendix with contact cleaner, dry, and submerge in a cup of synthetic ATF. Reinstall and fill cavity with the same ATF. Use more than 10ml. Fill to the top,of the well. New gasket with dressing so moisture stays out. The ATF is light and will not slow Down the Bendix like heavier oil can. It's also compatible with winding insulation.

Bad connection wonk help either. Clean, tighten, and cover with RTV or liquid tape. Also, if you have a LiOn battery, when it's cold they do not reach capacity until internally warmed up by applying a load.