Looking for tips and tricks on winter dirt biking

Hi Everyone, 

My son and I are taking an MX trip up to Horn Rapids MX park in Richland, Wa next weekend.  I'm wondering if some folks on here would share tips and tricks for winter riding.  Both cold and wet.  Forecast is calling for rain and 45 - 50F.  We just started riding this summer and haven't been out in the wet and mucky.   We're longtime mountain bikers and we ride in the wet all the time, but the speeds are so much slower, we're usually under cover of the forest, etc.... 

Any advise on clothing and gear, and even bike would be much appreciated!

My advice/experience:

I find keeping my body warm actually fairly easy, the hard part is staying dry.  I typically dress in lightweight layers so I can shed layers and put them in my pack if I get hot.  A thermal undershirt, jersey, and then breathable rain jacket are typically all I need.  My chest protector and pack hold in a lot of heat.  I never have a problem with my legs getting cold, so just my standard pants are typically enough.  The boots, knee pads, and armor shorts I wear hold in plenty of heat.

Keeping hands and feet warm and dry is another matter.  My current, inexpensive, strategy is latex gloves under my riding gloves and water proof socks.  The latex gloves actually make my hands sweat and thus wet, but warm and wet is better than cold and wet.  I got a pair of waterproof socks off of Amazon, and wear them over my riding socks.  They are a bit weird, but work well.  There are other strategies guys use, but I find these to be cheap and good enough for me.

Two other tips:

If its really cold I wear a dust mask with a breather valve.  It looks dumb, I know, but it keeps my face warm, is cheap, light, and easy to carry in my pack.  The valve helps vent and prevent as much condensation building up.

The other battle is fogged up goggle lenses.  I have a pair of Scott snowmobile goggles.  They are very similar to dirt bike goggles, but have dual pane lenses.  The dual pane lenses do not fog nearly as fast as regular single pane goggles.

• Like 2

Horn will take almost all the water you can throw at it lol, track conditions should be pretty good as long as the rain this week doesn't turn into snow

long Johns under the gear always helps me and a turtleneck sweater\ under shirt

• Like 2

Multiple gloves and eyewear. Safety glasses.  Humidity makes it very hard to see.  Ask me about my single track helmet, I dare you...it’s almost like it’s from Idaho. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:00 PM, Haney126 said:

Horn will take almost all the water you can throw at it lol, track conditions should be pretty good as long as the rain this week doesn't turn into snow

long Johns under the gear always helps me and a turtleneck sweater\ under shirt

Make sure the under garments are:

1. synthetic. not cotton ( cotton stays wet and cold against your body)

2. tight ( like yoga pants/ underarmour) so they don't constantly rub your skin raw ( you will feel like you have sunburn then).

I agree with the dual pane lenses and even remove upper and lower foam on goggle for a winter only use pair, as well as the over the boot pants.

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe
  • Like 3

I would add one of those ninja mask balaclavas. I prefer the thin nylon over the thicker material. Essentially it keeps the cold from hitting your skin directly but still breathes. Not super warm but it make a world of difference on the chin and neck. Also, I start out with thicker gloves (Fox Polar Paw) and usually end up switching back to regular once my hands get warm. Other than that, good breathable base layer and add layers from there as needed. Avoid cotton anything. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

even remove upper and lower foam on goggle for a winter only use pair, as well as the over the boot pants.

The best for winter riding. Been doing this mod for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

get a snowbike. no more water problems. :) bone dry white powder.. its like crack and I'm hooked

38219310991_2a9a860cce_h_d.jpg

• Like 5

get a snowbike. no more water problems. bone dry white powder.. its like crack and I'm hooked

No dollars for that yet....
  • Like 1

Make sure the under garments are:
1. synthetic. not cotton ( cotton stays wet and cold against your body)
2. tight ( like yoga pants/ underarmour) so they don't constantly rub your skin raw ( you will feel like you have sunburn then).
I agree with the dual pane lenses and even remove upper and lower foam on goggle for a winter only use pair, as well as the over the boot pants.

Joe

Thanks for the “Joe in yoga pants” visual.
  • Like 2

get a snowbike. no more water problems. bone dry white powder.. its like crack and I'm hooked

Hey Chris, what brand kit are you running?
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheSnide said:

@trailmeisterjoe @ricky racer  so are you guys saying to cut out the upper and lower foam but leave the sides? 

I remove the foam from my upper and lower vents. Nothing works as good IMO and its free! I have winter goggles and then summer goggles.