Drz400 bulletproofing

So I'm on of those guys that mod thire bikes until it's perfect for them I now am trying to bulletproof my drz I already have case savers, skid plate eliminate side stand switch and clutch safety l switch IMG_1429.jpg[attachment=440245:IMG_1967. I want to eliminate the stock vacuum petcock and put on some radiator guards, manual cam chain tenchiner and add a kick starter what else is out there for bulletproofing lastly my dirt wheels have heavy duty tubes any suggestions would be appreciated

• Like 1

Turkey baster mod in case you drop it on the stock reservoir.

Free power mod to help you not kill your battery.

LED lighting (and relay) to draw the least power.

Modding your wire harness to run just ignition and speedo in P mode, no lights at all.

Lithium battery.

Steering stabilizer.

Tubliss or mousses if you really hate flats.

Disc and caliper guards.

Keep on top of your normal maintenance, eg valve clearance, regular oil, air filter, lube cables, lube chain...

I also eliminated my rear brake light switch because it's pretty useless.

• Like 1

Who's the creepy stalker in the woods ? lol

Handguards, front fender brace.

That was a dual sport ride there was a crowd watching people getting stuck I didn't tho drz for the win
  • Like 1

So I'm on of those guys that mod thire bikes until it's perfect for them I now am trying to bulletproof my drz I already have case savers, skid plate eliminate side stand switch and clutch safety l switch IMG_1429.thumb.jpg.a9d59ff06cdfd30601504ece668a19e1.jpg[attachment=440245:IMG_1967. I want to eliminate the stock vacuum petcock and put on some radiator guards, manual cam chain tenchiner and add a kick starter what else is out there for bulletproofing lastly my dirt wheels have heavy duty tubes any suggestions would be appreciated

Is the skid plate in the first picture the one you are still running? If yes, I would upgrade to a solid aluminum model that protects the frame rails and case sides.
  • Like 2

x2 i was gonna say if you can find a tonns skidplate those are the best IMHO

also smooth the back of the shifter near the folding tip it has kind of a sharp edge that can still damage thru the case saver

Edited by RetroRanger
  • Like 2

x2 i was gonna say if you can find a tonns skidplate those are the best IMHO
also smooth the back of the shifter near the folding tip it has kind of a sharp edge that can still damage thru the case saver

The skid plate is moose carbon fiber an I have a warp 9 shifter I'd doesn't have sharp edges
  • Like 3

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I would call a carbon skid plate bulletproof (even though it may actually stop bullets) but I'm a bit jaded, my 1/4 inch thick aluminum skid plate looks like it just spent some quality time in an elevator with Ray Rice. I'm not sure a carbon plate would survive on one of my trail bikes but if you think it will handle what you have in mind I'm sure it will be fine.

• Like 3

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I would call a carbon skid plate bulletproof (even though it may actually stop bullets) but I'm a bit jaded, my 1/4 inch thick aluminum skid plate looks like it just spent some quality time in an elevator with Ray Rice. I'm not sure a carbon plate would survive on one of my trail bikes but if you think it will handle what you have in mind I'm sure it will be fine.

I have an aluminum plate on my xt350 and this carbon fiber plate on my drz400 it hugs the engine and frame really nice both have taken many hits in places called the rock garden I'm very hard on my stuff I don't baby anything both have been high center on logs and rocks. Both seem to do the same thing no cracks or dents lots of scratches still protecting the engine in my opinion the do the same thing
  • Like 3

I'd say you're very close.  Your problem is function vs weight.

A few areas:

Electrical - Free Power Mod, LED head light, silicone grease in every electrical connector.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1193375-led-headlight-install-write-up-with-pictures/#comment-13203914

Engine - I suspect you're jetted, if not consider the JD Jetting Kit.  Keihin CVK40 or FCR39 carbs give better throttle response and few more RWHP.   The following spread sheet has various DRZ configurations and jetting info.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HNSB3DrqJqHTInjVDKKS4HNSHZPbdK0ElbfNI5HxuZg/edit?hl=en#gid=1172546203

General prep - Safety wire (hard core), add wire rope from frame to brake and shifter (keeps stuff from getting wedged).  There's a agri tube for farm equipment maintenance forms.  Room for tire spoons n such.  Don't trust the existing mounting tabs.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1163550-finally-finished-my-agri-tube-tool-tube-and-roll/#comment-12786536

• Like 1

I have the Moose IIRC , "carbon Fiber" skid plate , it's not really carbon fiber just plastic with a fake fiber finish . Was the biggest P.I.T.A. plate I've ever put on anything and won't be going back on when I take it off next unless I come up with better front clamp system . It'll hold up good , will take plenty of abuse , just nothing I'm going to mess with again.

Edited by jjktmrider

I have the Moose IIRC , "carbon Fiber" skid plate , it's not really carbon fiber just plastic with a fake fiber finish . Was the biggest P.I.T.A. plate I've ever put on anything and won't be going back on when I take it off next unless I come up with better front clamp system . It'll hold up good , will take plenty of abuse , just nothing I'm going to mess with again.

Definitely not plastic IMG_1859.jpgIMG_1860.jpgIMG_1861.jpgIMG_1862.jpg
  • Like 1

I'd say you're very close.  Your problem is function vs weight.
A few areas:
Electrical - Free Power Mod, LED head light, silicone grease in every electrical connector.
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1193375-led-headlight-install-write-up-with-pictures/#comment-13203914
Engine - I suspect you're jetted, if not consider the JD Jetting Kit.  Keihin CVK40 or FCR39 carbs give better throttle response and few more RWHP.   The following spread sheet has various DRZ configurations and jetting info.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HNSB3DrqJqHTInjVDKKS4HNSHZPbdK0ElbfNI5HxuZg/edit?hl=en#gid=1172546203
General prep - Safety wire (hard core), add wire rope from frame to brake and shifter (keeps stuff from getting wedged).  There's a agri tube for farm equipment maintenance forms.  Room for tire spoons n such.  Don't trust the existing mounting tabs.
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1163550-finally-finished-my-agri-tube-tool-tube-and-roll/#comment-12786536

Bike is Jetted how's my problem function vs weight I have a yz250 if I want to ride something light I'm not to concerned about weight trying to make my drz light in not my goal
  • Like 2

Mines got rad guards, stout skid plate, Acerbis knock off hand guards and, well.......the thing is bullet proof otherwise, as-is.

Mine happens to be a '00 that has been beaten retarded every time I've swung a leg over it from day one. It's been crashed, it's been submerged, it's been hammered WFO in the woods, on the highway and on the track by a complete hooligan.

Hell, I haven't even washed it in years. Still going. 

• Like 4