Opinions on clutch selection for fast paced woods application

I'm looking for opinions from guys that are riding their 450's in the single track. I'm looking for a clutch that can handle heat and won't need a ton of adjusting during a ride. My OE clutch was pretty damn good surprisingly but before I go and drop money on another OE or expensive aftermarket I'd like to hear some reviews. I am asking this because my stock clutch slips under a load, not because I have any kind of problem with heat its just that the fibers are simply wearing out and getting thin. All I want to know is, should I just stick with the oem clutches or is there an even better alternative out there from an aftermarket supplier. Also if there is an aftermarket clutch out there that is not up to the task I would like to know what NOT to buy. I'm not asking if I have the right bike or if my bike is set up wrong.... thank you

You can skip the adjustment issues by going to a hydraulic clutch actuation like the Magura Clutch Jack. Though if you are having to slip the clutch a lot on a bike like a 450, perhaps the problem is not the clutch but the gearing.

I have thought about going to a magura but like I said I don't currently have a problem with a fading clutch, just don't want to acquire one. I am currently 13/50 and on a yz450f that's as far as you want to go. The bike already has nothing for top speed

The Magura will not make a difference on clutch fade or wear, it will make it self adjusting and retain a consistent feel.

Right, when I say fade I'm speaking of a fading lever that requires constant adjustment due to heat and expansion. A magura would be great for that if I was having a problem with it. My only issue is a clutch that has some time on it and is starting to slip slightly under a load.

3 minutes ago, Woodsweapon350 said:

Right, when I say fade I'm speaking of a fading lever that requires constant adjustment due to heat and expansion. A magura would be great for that if I was having a problem with it. My only issue is a clutch that has some time on it and is starting to slip slightly under a load.

Not a lot you can do about that except measure your clutch parts and replace what is out of spec. If it is wear from excessive slipping, not much you can do about it other than ride fast enough where you do not have to slip the clutch.. A YZ is far from a single track bike, let alone a 450. It is akin to using a top fuel dragster engine on a lawn tractor.

• Like 1

Not a lot you can do about that except measure your clutch parts and replace what is out of spec. If it is wear from excessive slipping, not much you can do about it other than ride fast enough where you do not have to slip the clutch.. A YZ is far from a single track bike, let alone a 450. It is akin to using a top fuel dragster engine on a lawn tractor.

I feel as though you are completely missing what I am saying. And as far as the YZ450 not being a good woods bike, my friend I can tell you that it's all about the rider and preference. The day I sold my 2016 250xc and made my 450 my primary woods bike was great day. Thanks anyway for you help

OEM clutch parts have the best feel.

For single track you need nothing else/more.

Nothing beats the Yamaha clutch for consistent disengagement and feel. 

Hinson and Barnett are for agressive racing under full throttle; they have a more agressive/stiffer clutch feel, and a grabbier engagement.

I like the shorty ARC lever or the ARC full lever and perch for less hand fatigue.

Make sure your basket and hub are notch free.

I use my '16450FX for single track, and the suspension and power are unbeatable. MY '13 KTM sucked for anything but feet on the ground single track. Suspension and power were severely lacking even on a 500...

My '16 BETA430 works pretty good too, kind of like a whimpy Yamaha.....but lighter.

3 hours ago, Woodsweapon350 said:

I am currently 13/50 and on a yz450f that's as far as you want to go. The bike already has nothing for top speed.

Well I hate to be that guy, but you've got the wrong bike ?
(I have the same problem)

If you're constantly on the clutch for the majority of the riding you're doing just to keep the bike going, the gearing is simply wrong.
Yes, you'll sacrifice some "top speed" by going lower, but from the sounds of it most of your riding is in the woods where you'll rarely get out of 3 or 4th gear?

I've been running 13/52 and it's been about perfect for the majority of the riding I do.
Lands me right in the mid-bottom of second gear for most trails.
Leave 1st to drop down to if I get slowed down, and plenty of room in second for little sprints between corners.

Previously I was 13/50 and it was in an annoying spot.
2nd gear was too low in power band to be useful and I ran out of 1st almost immediately.
So I was constantly clicking between 1st and 2nd and riding the clutch in slow spots.

So solution was to go even lower!
Yea I can't go as fast as others on the fire roads, but it sits perfect for the type of trail riding I do.

When you're riding an MX bike in single track, there's only so much you can do, as you only have 5 short ratio gears to work with.
I don't do much high speed riding, so dropping the gearing a bit wasn't a big deal.

Try it, a new back sprocket is cheap!

Edited by MCahill

Well I hate to be that guy, but you've got the wrong bike [emoji6]

(I have the same problem)

If you're constantly on the clutch for the majority of the riding you're doing just to keep the bike going, the gearing is simply wrong.

Yes, you'll sacrifice some "top speed" by going lower, but from the sounds of it most of your riding is in the woods where you'll rarely get out of 3 or 4th gear?

I've been running 13/52 and it's been about perfect for the majority of the riding I do.

Lands me right in the mid-bottom of second gear for most trails.

Leave 1st to drop down to if I get slowed down, and plenty of room in second for little sprints between corners.

Previously I was 13/50 and it was in an annoying spot.

2nd gear was too low in power band to be useful and I ran out of 1st almost immediately.

So I was constantly clicking between 1st and 2nd and riding the clutch in slow spots.

So solution was to go even lower!

Yea I can't go as fast as others on the fire roads, but it sits perfect for the type of trail riding I do.

When you're riding an MX bike in single track, there's only so much you can do, as you only have 5 short ratio gears to work with.

I don't do much high speed riding, so dropping the gearing a bit wasn't a big deal.

Try it, a new back sprocket is cheap!

Man you guys have a tough time reading and comprehending.... what don't you and the other guy understand about the words "I don't currently have an issue"? I'm not riding the wrong bike and it is set up exactly the way I like it. I'm not abusing the clutch to compensate for anything at all, these plates and fibers have over 200 hours. The bike is exactly what I want. Please go back and read and you'll see that all I have is a clutch with a lot of time on it and slightly slips under extreme load.... ITS OLD. I asked this question to prevent myself from buying a new clutch pack that can't handle heat. Not all plates and fibers are made equally

OEM clutch parts have the best feel.
For single track you need nothing else/more.
Nothing beats the Yamaha clutch for consistent disengagement and feel. 
Hinson and Barnett are for agressive racing under full throttle; they have a more agressive/stiffer clutch feel, and a grabbier engagement.
I like the shorty ARC lever or the ARC full lever and perch for less hand fatigue.
Make sure your basket and hub are notch free.
I use my '16450FX for single track, and the suspension and power are unbeatable. MY '13 KTM sucked for anything but feet on the ground single track. Suspension and power were severely lacking even on a 500...

My '16 BETA430 works pretty good too, kind of like a whimpy Yamaha.....but lighter.

Thank you kran that's what I'm looking for. My Yamaha is exceptional at what I'm using it for, I love everything about it even when the trees have you at just about a stand still. I currently have the protape xps lever and I am very pleased with it. My basket, hub and plate are in good shape too so all is well there. OEM it is

I agree the stock discs and metals do the best Job. The Hinson being the next in line however it is almost the same as stock zero improvement. Look to see if they make a factory clutch pack complete. It will be less if they do. 

Unfortunately I have to buy them all separately but it still comes in at 140 which is 10 bucks cheaper than my price on a Hinson FSC kit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodsweapon350 said:

Man you guys have a tough time reading and comprehending.... what don't you and the other guy understand about the words "I don't currently have an issue"? I'm not riding the wrong bike and it is set up exactly the way I like it. I'm not abusing the clutch to compensate for anything at all, these plates and fibers have over 200 hours. The bike is exactly what I want. Please go back and read and you'll see that all I have is a clutch with a lot of time on it and slightly slips under extreme load.... ITS OLD. I asked this question to prevent myself from buying a new clutch pack that can't handle heat. Not all plates and fibers are made equally

Somebody's panties are in a wad... ?
You just whined for a full paragraph, your original post is a whopping 3 sentences asking for advice because your clutch can't "hand the heat" in single track.
If you specifically didn't want advise on something than just include that in the original post...

Some people man...

You don't have to personally attack someone for giving you advice for a problem you just openly asked about. ?

Edited by MCahill
  • Like 3

Somebody's panties are in a wad... ?

You just whined for a full paragraph, your original post is a whopping 3 sentences asking for advice because your clutch can't "hand the heat" in single track.

If you specifically didn't want advise on something than just include that in the original post...

Some people man...

You don't have to personally attack someone for giving you advice for a problem you just open asked about. ?

Go back and reread the original post please, maybe if you read it again you will clearly see that I NEVER said my clutch can't handle anything,maybe you missed the part that days my OE clutch was pretty damn good......some people man

13 hours ago, Woodsweapon350 said:

I'm looking for opinions from guys that are riding their 450's in the single track. I'm looking for a clutch that can handle heat and won't need a ton of adjusting during a ride. My OE clutch was pretty damn good surprisingly but before I go and drop money on another OE or expensive aftermarket I'd like to hear some reviews.

Really man... ?