Cracked engine case, REPAIR?

Hello riders out there, today was my last race of the season, also for my 450X. Unfortunately, the transmission housing is cracked, the right side or the clutch side will be replaced as it is too much damage. But on the back side near the suspension spring there is also damage but it is less. As I say the case of the right side will be replaced because it is also very committed because there is the kick itself so it is very likely that if it repairs it will break again, but I have a doubt with the back because the damage is not so serious. My question is there is some way to repair the dañana area that is close to the shock or it is better to buy both case. Thank you very much for the help that everyone has given me in my questions, greetings and happy rides!

crank.jpg

crank 2.jpg

crank 3.jpg

crank 4.jpg

crank 5.jpg

Hello riders out there, today was my last race of the season, also for my 450X. Unfortunately, the transmission housing is cracked, the right side or the clutch side will be replaced as it is too much damage. But on the back side near the suspension spring there is also damage but it is less. As I say the case of the right side will be replaced because it is also very committed because there is the kick itself so it is very likely that if it repairs it will break again, but I have a doubt with the back because the damage is not so serious. My question is there is some way to repair the dañana area that is close to the shock or it is better to buy both case. Thank you very much for the help that everyone has given me in my questions, greetings and happy rides!
crank.thumb.jpg.8a39efdf0ff2d6d749e4f33752e2cb3a.jpg
59ffc51fd667f_crank2.thumb.jpg.e09a21d6b93a415ff036fe2c5037d9f1.jpg
59ffc5281da6c_crank3.thumb.jpg.a81ddc228217d7cdf8af7aabe90bacb5.jpg
59ffc529aad83_crank4.thumb.jpg.80750f42c004838e477a7c44e07458fb.jpg
59ffc52af1673_crank5.thumb.jpg.9426dca94382052255237b030fc23ca3.jpg
I think if it were me I'd replace both sides. But it's hard to tell how deep and long it really is until it's all removed. How did it break?
  • Like 1

I agree that you are going to need to replace both cases.  I have seen a lot of cracked cases but never one like that.  Please enlighten us on how this happened.

CAMM

• Like 2

Hi, I've welded  already nasty cracks with my tig welding unit ( oldtimer an new timer ), but  this indeed looks like an difficult job  if there are axes to be aligned properly

ps not all aloys can be welded  an intersting site for welding is wwwNil.nl and an interesting youtube chanel is welding tips and tricks :

23 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Replace the cases.

BTW, how on earth did that happen?  I don't think I've ever seen that.

This is a fairly common failure on CRF450X's. If the engine kicks back during the kick start, it can be violent enough to crack the case exactly as seen here. Good thing they have e-start! Basically you should only use the kick starter on these bikes as a last resort. The electrical system and starter motor are robust though - usually no need to kick start. 

Just now, Grahamlin said:

This is a fairly common failure on CRF450X's. If the engine kicks back during the kick start, it can be violent enough to crack the case exactly as seen here. Good thing they have e-start! Basically you should only use the kick starter on these bikes as a last resort. The electrical system and starter motor are robust though - usually no need to kick start. 

But isn't that basically the same case as the R?  I've never seen that happen on an R.

On 5/11/2017 at 7:06 PM, 16Raptor said:
On 5/11/2017 at 6:14 PM, Desert-Racer74 said:
crank.thumb.jpg.8a39efdf0ff2d6d749e4f33752e2cb3a.jpg
59ffc51fd667f_crank2.thumb.jpg.e09a21d6b93a415ff036fe2c5037d9f1.jpg
59ffc5281da6c_crank3.thumb.jpg.a81ddc228217d7cdf8af7aabe90bacb5.jpg
59ffc529aad83_crank4.thumb.jpg.80750f42c004838e477a7c44e07458fb.jpg
59ffc52af1673_crank5.thumb.jpg.9426dca94382052255237b030fc23ca3.jpg

I think if it were me I'd replace both sides. But it's hard to tell how deep and long it really is until it's all removed. How did it break?

I really do not know how it happened, but maybe it was in a section of rocks where the motorcycle dies and did not want to start with the starter, so I started kicking it and I remember well that one kick came back very hard because it hurt my ankle.

On 6/11/2017 at 5:40 AM, William1 said:

Yeah... that is pretty bad. I too, would p-lay it safe and replace both cases. High stress areas and the breaks are not from a engine internal failure.

Thanks man!

On 6/11/2017 at 7:08 AM, cjjeepercreeper said:

Replace the cases.

BTW, how on earth did that happen?  I don't think I've ever seen that.

Grahamlin have your answer, I was always afraid that something like this would happen to me and finally it happened

19 hours ago, CAMM said:

I agree that you are going to need to replace both cases.  I have seen a lot of cracked cases but never one like that.  Please enlighten us on how this happened.

CAMM

Of course! By now I buy the new right part. I will disassemble the whole bike to see if we can repair the rear near the starter welding with tig, I will post updates

11 hours ago, lodola235 said:

Hi, I've welded  already nasty cracks with my tig welding unit ( oldtimer an new timer ), but  this indeed looks like an difficult job  if there are axes to be aligned properly

ps not all aloys can be welded  an intersting site for welding is wwwNil.nl and an interesting youtube chanel is welding tips and tricks :

Thank you bro! Let's see what we can do!

On 7/11/2017 at 8:33 PM, BoxcarWilly said:

Don't do this. For the amount of preparation and effort involved in prepping and welding cast aluminum just replace both cases. 

Thank you bro, one case is on the way right now, we will see about the other one

5 hours ago, Desert-Racer74 said:

Thank you bro, one case is on the way right now, we will see about the other one

Dang someone should have already mention to try and get matching cases as they are cast together and there could be alignment issues.