Happier than...

Let me start by stating that I am not an Orange KoolAid drinker, in fact I puked KTM KoolAid in 1986 with a 500 MXC and swore never to own another KTM (Never say never). I was looking to get a dual sport that was light and could go on the road and handle single tracks, my options were limited. The Jap options were underpowered little pigs or underpowered dinosaurs, Beta dealerships were far away and would not trade, Husky? Nah! they have come and gone too many times, might as well give KTM a shot. Picked up my new 500 EXC and the first thing I nothiced is how light this thing was. Pushing it to load it in the truck felt like pushing a 125, at first I though the sales guy was helping pushing. Once at home it fired up right away and took it for a spin, this thing was light and slim, felt like riding a 250 MX.. The power was almost electric, it pulled smoothly from crawling speed to high speeds with no hesitation , shifting was a bit notchy but am sure it will smooth out. Going downhill I purposedly chopped the throttle to check for backfiring, not a pop. The suspension felt great in stock form and I didn’t mess with the clickers or sag. On the highway it easily cruised at 70 mph, without excessive vibration, the wheels will probably need balancing. Needles to say I love this thing, it’s the best bike that I have ever owned. Well, the orange Koolaid tasted good, and I am happier than a maggot going up a dead cows ass.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Dirtbug26 said:

.... The Jap options were underpowered little pigs or underpowered dinosaurs, Beta dealerships were far away and would not trade, Husky? Nah! they have come and gone too many times, might as well give KTM a shot. Picked up my new 500 EXC and the first thing I nothiced is how light this thing was. Pushing it to load it in the truck felt like pushing a 125, at first I though the sales guy was helping pushing. ....

. Needles to say I love this thing, it’s the best bike that I have ever owned. Well, the orange Koolaid tasted good, and I am happier than a maggot going up a dead cows ass.

There is only one 400+ Jap option, and that is the Suzuki DRZ.  What a pig!

When I picked up my '14 500, I just about dropped it when I was pushing it in the parking lot.  I was so used to moving my DRZ pig that I pushed it hard and it just about got away from me fell to the ground!  A sudden chill ran up my spine, and a HUGE smile came over my face.  I couldn't wait to ride this thing!

I'm not for sure about the maggot thing, LOL, but the Koolaid does taste good!!!

Yea, 4oz to balance each wheel, I couldn't see with my googles vibrating so much at 65mph

I went through the same buying process as you and made the same decision, great bike!

now that cool-aid tastes good huh ? my early Husabergs and KTMs were bad, heavy ,weird didn't handle so I too went to the Japanese imports for a short time and quickly realized only the Yamas/hondas were decent but heavy and all the others sucked.