High idle, exhaust smoke

2015 WR250f with 61 hrs full FMF exhaust, comp ecu, Twin Air power flow kit, otherwise it's stock. Checked valves last week and all were in spec. Closed it back up and ran it with no issues. Today went to ride, warmed up while changing, idle no problem just like normal. Shut it off for a few minutes then started it up. Took off and it bogged hard, thought I was in too high of a gear so shifted down and same thing. Idle jumped to 5000 rpm and smoking like mad, not oil smoke, like it's rich. No codes on the tuner, changed the ecu back to stock, no change. Pulled negative from battery to reset but nothing changed. Gas is 2 weeks old. I'm at a loss.

I've owned it for the last 41 hrs with no issues, maintained as it should be.

On November 5, 2017 at 10:51 PM, tmac1366 said:

2015 WR250f with 61 hrs full FMF exhaust, comp ecu, Twin Air power flow kit, otherwise it's stock. Checked valves last week and all were in spec. Closed it back up and ran it with no issues. Today went to ride, warmed up while changing, idle no problem just like normal. Shut it off for a few minutes then started it up. Took off and it bogged hard, thought I was in too high of a gear so shifted down and same thing. Idle jumped to 5000 rpm and smoking like mad, not oil smoke, like it's rich. No codes on the tuner, changed the ecu back to stock, no change. Pulled negative from battery to reset but nothing changed. Gas is 2 weeks old. I'm at a loss.

I've owned it for the last 41 hrs with no issues, maintained as it should be.

Have you necked oil and coolant levels?

10 hours ago, BoxcarWilly said:

Have you necked oil and coolant levels?

Yes, before and after each ride.

11 minutes ago, tmac1366 said:

Yes, before and after each ride.

Since it started acting up? Is gotta be burning something if it's smoking so bad, did you accidentally pour mixed gas in it? (I've done this)

23 hours ago, BoxcarWilly said:

Since it started acting up? Is gotta be burning something if it's smoking so bad, did you accidentally pour mixed gas in it? (I've done this)

Since it started acting up right before my last ride, yes I checked the fluids, all two of them. Well three if you include gas. As I stated before it's maintained as it should be. Burning something? Actually it's not burning gas completely, plug is wet and black, smells like gas. Too much fuel and no it's not a fuel pump issue. Tested and it's fine. Pretty sure I did not pour mixed gas in it, don't own any two stroke engines.

Over oiled air filter?

Pinched breather hose from when you put cam cover back on?

Odds on something you did during re-assy after valve check so check everything around that area

Edited by GuyGraham

I use a spray on filter oil so it shouldn't be over oiled, there's never any oil seeping into the air box. Although it looks like the previous owner may have over oiled as I cleaned a bunch of oil/dirt mix from under the air box which is directly over the throttle body. I've re-assembled it so many times now and re-checked every electrical connection and hose/tube, nothing is out of place. Could be a bad air sensor but I don't show any codes on the tuner nor is my check engine light staying lit. Going to pull the injector and have it checked and cleaned, other then that I'm lost. :excuseme:

The air pressure sensor is known to play up without any codes / engine light coming on so dont rule it out

Yep. MAP sensor

On 11/11/2017 at 8:42 AM, GuyGraham said:

The air pressure sensor is known to play up without any codes / engine light coming on so dont rule it out

On 11/11/2017 at 5:04 PM, Enduro R Rider said:

Yep. MAP sensor

Finally some answers besides checking the fluids, I was hoping someone had or has heard of this issue. I never ruled it out but not having any code and the check engine not coming on it wasn't high on the list to check. Something is telling the ECU to dump fuel so now I'll check it and go from there. Getting to it involves some disassembly so there's another reason I was hoping it was something else. 

Nope, not the air pressure sensor. Just install a New one and no change. Idles fine but give it gas and it climbs to 5500 rpm. Next up is the TPS.

Nope, not the air pressure sensor. Just installed a new one and no change. Idles fine but give it gas and it climbs to 5500 rpm. Next up is the TPS.