Extra resistance when rolling the bike in gear

I just noticed today that my bike is more difficult to move when its in gear AND the clutch is pulled in.  I immediately tried adjusting the clutch cable and couldn't get rid of the resistance.  Then i tried moving it in neutral and there was no resistance. 

After that i started the bike holding the brake expecting it to lurch forward but nothing strange happened, the clutch works just fine and the idle isn't affected at all.  The amount of resistance i am experiencing is close to having the clutch engaged 3/4 of the way, there is so much resistance that i question if the bike would even be able to roll down a hill without a rider on top of it. 

Any ideas on what it could be and where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm that's an odd one, to troubleshoot, here's a few things;

When did you change your oil last? 

When was the bike ridden last? 

Did you take it for a ride to get it up to temp and try again? 

I read this earlier and tried it on my own bike (after doing an oil change.. again. Damned fuel) it was warm, but wasn' very much resistance in gear with clutch in whilst bike was off. There was a small noticeable difference but not enough to be of any concern. 

Pretty normal if the bike is cold. Double check your clutch lever free play, warm up the bike and test again.

last oil change was done less than 500 miles ago, i commute to work on it so i try to keep up with the maintenance, the bike was warm after i tested the clutch with the bike running and i had the same issue.

The biggest thing is that its grabbing so hard that the chain jerks from getting sudden tension, its acting just like its in gear but the clutch isn't engaged, i can move it forwards and backwards a short distance before the resistance kicks in, then it hits like a brick, the first time i tried it i thought i had left it in gear.

Just wondering if the clutch basket 'fingers' have developed notches...

How long have you had the bike? I noticed back in 92 that my XR100R was harder to push around in gear vs neutral. I found this to be true with every bike since. Unless you feel like this is something new and there are other issues I would caulk it up to normal drag.

***Do you have the correct free play at the lever?***

It's normal don't sweat it, will be far less resistance warm. Dry sump bikes also have a lot less cltch drag when pushing

7 hours ago, hackisackkid said:

last oil change was done less than 500 miles ago, i commute to work on it so i try to keep up with the maintenance, the bike was warm after i tested the clutch with the bike running and i had the same issue.

The biggest thing is that its grabbing so hard that the chain jerks from getting sudden tension, its acting just like its in gear but the clutch isn't engaged, i can move it forwards and backwards a short distance before the resistance kicks in, then it hits like a brick, the first time i tried it i thought i had left it in gear.

So you attempted to push it in gear with the clutch in while the bike was running? Or after it was warm? 

Have you double checked the cable isn't frayed at either end and has correct free play in the lever? 

You haven't dropped it or had anything happen to it prior to this starting? 

5 hours ago, Diverdown said:

Just wondering if the clutch basket 'fingers' have developed notches...

This is where I'd put my money.
Assuming this is a new and sudden behavior, and you've ruled out the other obvious culprits. (cable issues, etc)

I'd pull off the clutch cover and inspect the basket for grooves where the clutch plates contact the basket.

If this is the case it causes the plates to get stuck in the "groove" and not fully release.
Again assuming that's the case, it's time for a new clutch basket.
Some guys can get away with filing down the grooves, but it'l likely come back pretty quickly.

Edited by MCahill

Also wouldn't hurt to make sure the arm is tight, and the thing capturing the cable right next to. Probably not causing, but can quickly be out ruled.20171106_165202.thumb.jpg.c5ee420b76cb346c4a7fb98d959f5189.jpg

How about the barrel end of the cable, where it goes into the hand lever. The little plastic sleeve around it. Has slowly rolled it's way into a position where it could 'give'? Would cause what you're describing..

First off thanks for all the responses.

This is a new and sudden thing, ive had the bike for 2 years and its always been easy to move just by pulling in the clutch.

When i was testing this i first tested it cold with the bike off, then i turned the bike on and all the symptoms went away, even was able to coast backwards on a slight slope but as soon as the bike was turned off it stopped coasting.  i rode it a bit then came back home, turned it off, left it in gear and tried to roll it inside the garage and it had the same resistance.

Cables are good, the lever arm is good, the free play is good, but im thinking that it could either be the clutch basket or possibly fibers considering the bike has about 16k miles.

Once again thanks for all the ideas, im gonna have to wait till friday to dig into it to see what is really going on.

Any issues with the cable or adjustment , I'd think is null and void because it works fine when running plus the free movement for a little distance before the resistance. I'd say even the clutch finger grooves isn't the cause as it would do the same running or not and the freeplay thing. The strange part is the slight "slop" where you can roll it forward or back a short ways before the sudden grabbing , the clutch would be doing it at all times, not just after a certain amount of movement. However what is the issue ,I can't think of one offhand .

Edited by jjktmrider

I had this exact issue. I replaced the clutch plates and filed and polished the notches out of the basket but the issue remained. In the end I put the front wheel against the wall,  gave it some revs and loaded up the clutch pretty hard a few times. That fixed it for me. 

First off thanks for all the responses.

This is a new and sudden thing, ive had the bike for 2 years and its always been easy to move just by pulling in the clutch.

When i was testing this i first tested it cold with the bike off, then i turned the bike on and all the symptoms went away, even was able to coast backwards on a slight slope but as soon as the bike was turned off it stopped coasting.  i rode it a bit then came back home, turned it off, left it in gear and tried to roll it inside the garage and it had the same resistance.

Cables are good, the lever arm is good, the free play is good, but im thinking that it could either be the clutch basket or possibly fibers considering the bike has about 16k miles.

Once again thanks for all the ideas, im gonna have to wait till friday to dig into it to see what is really going on.

What did you find?

Colder weather or different oils can increase drag. Keep in mind, some 4 stroke mx bikes won't even start in gear do to clutch drag.

Worn fibers generally cause the clutch to slip. A notched basket or warped plates could cause the plates to hang up a little but you would also experience a very grabby feeling releasing the lever while riding.

After checking out the clutch it seems that the fibers n steels were just really stuck together, the basket doesn't have any grooving the fibers look fine and the steels are good enough for government work, only one of them had a slight shade of blue but it looks good enough for me (gotta love being broke).  Also after pulling them all apart and examining them the issue has gone away.  I appreciate all the help.