Disappointed in the Sport! (Motocross)

These issues below really make me disappointed in our sport!   For the life of me I do not understand why this sport keeps shooting itself in the foot?

Rules:  

We all know that if tomorrow they would allow 250 two strokes in the 250 pro class that would help the sport......... yet they do not!

Allowing electric bikes to race right now can only help the sport!   Why not do it? 

More stock rules would help reduce cost of the sport and slow down speeds so why not?

Privateers struggle with the travel schedule where it goes to the east coast and then all the way to Washougal and back to the east coast again!  These tracks should take the dates given to them!   It is their biggest event of the year there is no conflicts with scheduling of the pro races at a motocross track!   It seems like the schedule was put in to hurt privateers and help the big teams.

Tracks:

I went to a track this past weekend.   They charged $20 for spectators for a practice day!    $20?   I explained to them that most of my friends, family, or new riders are not going to come here with these fees.   They explained to me that their practice turnout last year was low so they need to make more money to cover costs.  However, if your a track and turnout is low raising your fees is not going to help!    Think about it!  Get creative, communicate better with your customers, talk to different skill level riders and ask them why they do not ride the track more often!    The time to raise your fees if when you have a good turnout rather than a declining turnout.

Also over the past 8 years you watch the tracks build bigger and bigger jumps?   We all know cost is a big problem with the sport but the next big problem is safety!  Building bigger jumps is not going to help you get more riders in the future!   I have heard so many riders say "I won't ride there because the jumps are to big" or "to many riders get hurt".      I  think a track can find a middle ground.   Why not use jump combos that allow a slower rider to still jump and land on a downside yet at the same time the faster riders can just clear the whole section?    

Example:   If you want to have a 125ft table top jump then why not simply put a half hump in the middle or a small step down point?    

Example:   Instead of a 110ft triple why not make a double then a table top?   The slow riders can double and the fast guys can jump the double and land over the table?

Racing:

3 practice laps and then the motos are only 4 laps?   We paid $20 gate fee, $40 race fee, $25 membership fee and you get a total of 11 laps over a period of 9 hrs?   Tracks and promoters wonder why racing turnout is down in some areas?

Folks it just seems to me that we can do more as a sport to bring the riders in and keep the riders!   This is not that difficult to see when something is hurting the sport vs helping it.  I want my friends to go to the track.  I want to pay to support the track but pretty soon we will be seeing more riders drop out of the sport due to costs and safety.    Why would you as a business want to do something to drive away more riders when you so desperately need them?

I went through this when my oldest son wanted to race moto when he was younger. First time out with all the fees was over $100.00. He got to ride three practice laps. There were so many kids in his class that they ran a "qualifier" to get to race. Yeah my kids first time out and he has to qualify to race! Qualifier was two laps. We spent $100.00 and all day there for him to ride 5 laps! Race / ride in the woods, ride 2/3 hours (or longer) for a third of the cost! I know, woods riding ain't cool though!

2 hours ago, katoom64 said:

I went through this when my oldest son wanted to race moto when he was younger. First time out with all the fees was over $100.00. He got to ride three practice laps. There were so many kids in his class that they ran a "qualifier" to get to race. Yeah my kids first time out and he has to qualify to race! Qualifier was two laps. We spent $100.00 and all day there for him to ride 5 laps! Race / ride in the woods, ride 2/3 hours (or longer) for a third of the cost! I know, woods riding ain't cool though!

Yeah that about sums it up right there.  So many riders get a bad taste in their mouth and leave the sport.  I don't blame them though that's expensive for most people.

I completely agree with all of this. This is the reason we have always chosen woods racing, it's unfortunate but moto is a RICH mans sport and it's not getting any better

8 minutes ago, Woodsweapon350 said:

I completely agree with all of this. This is the reason we have always chosen woods racing, it's unfortunate but moto is a RICH mans sport and it's not getting any better

Seems all motor sports end up going that way, the rich guys build high dollar equipment and spend big bucks on support and the little guy gets squeezed out.  Happened with rock crawling 4x4s, late 90s the competitions were guys in locked, geared lifted Jeeps with a cage, you could race with a $1500 investment on top of your vehicle.  Now its 1/4 million dollar or more moon buggies.

Go to observed trials....doesn't matter your engine size, year of your bike or your age...it's all about your ability.
People are friendly and you can spend all day riding just for fun.

1 hour ago, Woodsweapon350 said:

For me it wasn't really about the money but more of the value we got for our money. If he could have gone out for say 10-12 laps, I probably wouldn't mind. I just hated to wait around all day, get him down there for his "qualifier" and he rides 2 laps and is done.

4 hours ago, katoom64 said:

"Nobody goes to motocross tracks anymore. It's always too crowded.".  (Yogi Berra);)

The expense of racing motocross, or riding tracks in general is what has kept me from doing so, and kept me mainly in the woods. Especially for young, self funded riders who are just getting into it, its a huge deterrent and if things remain like this, the sport will dwindle down due to a lack of new people coming. It's a huge waste of talent, but oh well... at least woods racing is cheap still!

The funny thing is that we all pretty much agree with the sport is in decline and we agree with why this is taking place.  Yet the people who run the sport claim they are doing such a wonderful job!   The tracks, promoters, and sanctioning body does not change anything based upon riders input or complaints.   Either this is one big conspiracy or they are all idiots!   Myself I am going with they are idiots!  lol     Why keep killing the sport you make your money from?   I have yet to figure that one out.  

21 minutes ago, FLMoto44 said:

The funny thing is that we all pretty much agree with the sport is in decline and we agree with why this is taking place.  Yet the people who run the sport claim they are doing such a wonderful job!   The tracks, promoters, and sanctioning body does not change anything based upon riders input or complaints.   Either this is one big conspiracy or they are all idiots!   Myself I am going with they are idiots!  lol     Why keep killing the sport you make your money from?   I have yet to figure that one out.  

I dare say its all greed, and changing would involve more effort and less money for them, even if for that drop was for a short period. 

I thought outsourcing was gunna make things cheaper? They lied?  

This discussion has been happening for as long as I can remember, i’ve moto’d since the mid 80’s and even then people made a lot of the same points. One of my trigger points is down below though...

The idea of paying a gate fee for a racer, who is already paying an entry fee has always ground my gears. My folks ran a CMC sanctioned track in the ‘90s and wouldn’t charge a gate fee to a racer & gave the rider one free pit pass. If they had more people I think they just paid a nominal fee of like $3-5 to get it to “spectate.”

People would show up and comment that they were
Paying $10-20 at other tracks to “spectate” the same way, bringing their own lawnchair/cooler, etc.... people loved it.

The flip side is, as a promoter you have to pay for insurance for the races, it isn’t cheap...and everyone wants to be a cool kid and go AMA because “thats all that matters...” AMA had super high sanction fees and liability insurance costs, thats why we went CMC. Same insurance underwriters/lower cost as a promoter, but not the “gee whiz” of AMA. It’s only gotten worse now from what I’ve seen, thanks in part to the idea of AMA Amateur national level events only being considered the cool kids places.

As far as how the nationals/supercrosses are scheduled and paid out for privateers.....I spent two years based in SoCal racing the west region supercrosses and nationals, and even went east a few times. Granted I wasn’t a top privateer, but I made night shows when you had to race your way in and made a couple 125 Mains and national motos.

I made more $ at a Wednesday night Starwest race or a Thursday night GFI Race back then then I did for a 15th-ish place at an AMA Supercross.

Those races were full of riders in all classes, and it wasn’t uncommon that I would end up racing McGrath/Antunez/Lawrence/Button/ or some other national guy that was there on a practice bike during the week, just racing for kicks.

I’m still involved in the industry somewhat and it’s a rare bird for these top racers now to ever show up at a local race to just race. My rider now just shakes his head and laughs when I tell him about some of those days and says “there’s too much risk in it”

Try forming an association in your area.

Buy 5 acres and a used skidsteer. Volunteers to build a track.

Charge people who want to ride $25 a day or say $300 for an annual pass.

Let those who volunteer a certain amount of hours a year ride for free.

Organize some races and charge $10 per spectator or $25 a family or whatever you like.

When it goes all professional it stops being fun and is just a money grab.

That gets it back to being fun.

Last year I called the owner of a local track I like to go to see if I could buy an annual pass instead of having to pay for the gate fee every time and he said no. That's pretty sorry right there, I guess you have to line someone's pockets to practice and get any better. I'll just stick to the woods and spend those gate fees on fuel and good oil... Maybe a ham sammy too...

Edited by Casing-daily

A hundred bucks for a good concert ticket, more than that for decent seats at a pro sports event,  $50 for a golf game, at least $60 for one nice dinner with a couple drinks (What,no date?), and at least a couple Benjamins to stand in line at Disney for a weekend. What's the beef?

2 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

A hundred bucks for a good concert ticket, more than that for decent seats at a pro sports event,  $50 for a golf game, at least $60 for one nice dinner with a couple drinks (What,no date?), and at least a couple Benjamins to stand in line at Disney for a weekend. What's the beef?

You must not ride very much...

To be decent at any sport it's not a once a month event... If I rode 2-3 times a week at the track thats a couple hundred a month just to park my van in there. Track owner turned down the 3-4 hundred bucks for an annual pass thinking he would squeeze me for more than that in gate fees like there's nowhere else to go and then wonders why business is down... Prolly blames it on the millennials lol

Edited by Casing-daily

Tracks are going to cater to the guys two practice twice a week rather then the people riding/racing once a month. That's just the way it is.

The barrier to entry into the sport is larger then it has ever been. Bikes are more expensive, you have to be better even at the entry level to participate. .

As for jumps, usually having enough dirt is the issue. Putting a lump in the middle of a table isn't going to solve much. You need big piles of dirt, step up's are the safest but they can take a ton of dirt if you don't have natural features to work with.

charging for spectators is lame.

I practice way more often then i race, for the reasons you stated.

Edited by temporarily_locked
27 minutes ago, temporarily_locked said:

AMATracks are going to cater to the guys two practice twice a week rather then the people riding/racing once a month. That's just the way it is.

The barrier to entry into the sport is larger then it has ever been. Bikes are more expensive, you have to be better even at the entry level to participate. .

As for jumps, usually having enough dirt is the issue. Putting a lump in the middle of a table isn't going to solve much. You need big piles of dirt, step up's are the safest but they can take a ton of dirt if you don't have natural features to work with.

charging for spectators is lame.

I practice way more often then i race, for the reasons you stated.

Many tracks are building jumps like AMA supercross tracks have. Not good for beginner/intermediate riders. You are not going PRO. Stop telling your kid he's going PRO. 

Chances are VERY SLIM he's going PRO. He doesn't need a PRO track. Charging 20.00 for spectators will close you down FAST. My local practice track is 5.00 for spectators. I can live with that.

yeah but we're the ones keeping the tracks in business, so they build it for us. Some places have vet or amateur tracks.  

Edited by temporarily_locked