Quietest exhuast for 2005 yz125

Ok, So I have a 2005 yz125 with a pro circuit platinum expansion chamber and a 304 shorty pipe. This bike is incredibly loud. The noise doesn't bother me, I actually love it. However, the people around me do not appreciate it much. I am looking for the quietest exhaust with out loosing performance. The pro circuit isn't bad when your not on the pipe, but its  125, so I'm always on the pipe. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

How about a stock silencer,

in 2011 or so Yamaha switched all YZ125's to the quieter 'world spec' silencer which is about 3" (75mm) longer than the

previous '06-'10 silencer (which is regarded as one of the best size for overall performance).

Performance wise versus your current shorty, you'll perhaps loose just a bit of 'hit' but more importantly gain more top end & overrev.

I tried a shorty once, IMO not a good combo for a MX track ridden high revving 125. Switched back to the stock silencer the very next ride.

I'm sure you could easily find a pre-owned but still like new OEM silencer for cheap as many feel

the need to add a shiny aftermarket $$$ pipe & silencer the minute they buy a new bike.

As with any silencer, making sure the packing is fresh makes a notable difference.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

A different silencer will help for sure, and make sure you keep the packing fresh.  I have also seen pipe wraps used successfully to dampen noise. Two stroke pipes don't get real hot, so even rubber can be used if it's not right at the head pipe. Finally, check for other sources of noise as it all adds up.  Rev the bike and look for rattles.  Do your brakes squeal?  My son had a CR85, and the pads the bike came with were louder than the exhaust.  You could hear the brake squeal more than the pipe in the woods.

Start with checking the exhaust packing in the pipe you've got as that's potentially the most cost effective solution. FMF turbinecore 2.1 silences is a quiet pipe. All of the shorty pipes are going to be loud. If your bike is under 90db then you should be happy as that's what all the Enduro races require. 125s naturally have that awesome sound as they are always on the pipe.

• Like 1

Usually, silencers with a spark arrestor choke the bike up a bit but are pretty quiet. I would try to find a longer silencer like the stock or a FMF and keep good packing in it as said above.

15 hours ago, mikedabike said:

I have a FMF Q on mine. Still not close to trail bike quiet.

Really? We ran FMF TurbineCore 2's on our YZ125s on woods rides, and they were soo quiet the sound check guys would just wave 'em through.

http://store.fmfracing.com/Product/Detail/62?Make=YAMAHA&Model=YZ125&Year=2014&ItemID=''|'0'

I'm surprised your Q is loud; maybe needs repacking?

I didn't see a "YZ125" listing for the "Q" on FMF's website; did you mount a YZ250 unit on your 125? If so, were there any tricks to it?

I have a FMF Q on mine. Still not close to trail bike quiet.

Really? We ran FMF TurbineCore 2's on our YZ125s on woods rides, and they were soo quiet the sound check guys would just wave 'em through.

http://store.fmfracing.com/Product/Detail/62?Make=YAMAHA&Model=YZ125&Year=2014&ItemID=''|'0'

I'm surprised your Q is loud; maybe needs repacking?

I didn't see a "YZ125" listing for the "Q" on FMF's website; did you mount a YZ250 unit on your 125? If so, were there any tricks to it?

Not sure came with the bike. It passes all sound requirements but not as quiet as say a stock crfx or wrf.

20171107_193934.jpg

• Like 2

That picture reminded me a of a silencer I ran on my RM 125 years ago.  It was definitely labeled a "Q", but it was not large diameter like the ones you see now.  Rather, like in the picture above, it was the same diameter as a regular silencer, but really long.  I was unimpressed with the sound reduction over stock, but what I remember really hating was the way the extra length interfered with the grab point on the rear fender.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rpt50 said:

That picture reminded me a of a silencer I ran on my RM 125 years ago.  It was definitely labeled a "Q", but it was not large diameter like the ones you see now.  Rather, like in the picture above, it was the same diameter as a regular silencer, but really long...

The silencers with the larger diameter canister is the Q Stealth, which came along well after the regular TurbineCore "Q". I guess there is still a market for the (less-expensive) TC Q, so FMF continues to offer it.

But yeah, the TC Q's are long. :shocked:

• Like 1

I ended up going with the pro circuit 296 with the built in spark arrestor. I already have a pro circuit platinum expansion chamber so the new silencer should just slip on. I only need it for when I do trail riding. When I’m at the mx track I’ll put the shorty back on.

Edited by SeaworthyPACMAN

On 2017-11-08 at 11:50 AM, SeaworthyPACMAN said:

I ended up going with the pro circuit 296 with the built in spark arrestor. I already have a pro circuit platinum expansion chamber so the new silencer should just slip on. I only need it for when I do trail riding. When I’m at the mx track I’ll put the shorty back on.

cool sounds good