Yz250 3gallon tank question

So I am going to be buying a 3 gallon tank for my yz250 but curious if I will lose access to the spark plug. Worried if I'm on the trails and foul a plug I'm screwed unless I pack even more tools. Screenshot_20171106-081537.png

So I am going to be buying a 3 gallon tank for my yz250 but curious if I will lose access to the spark plug. Worried if I'm on the trails and foul a plug I'm screwed unless I pack even more tools. Screenshot_20171106-081537.thumb.png.df3add6886c5f7b9b75451718d301b15.png

I have a acerbic 3 gal on my yz .. It’s definitely more difficult to change the plug but it is doable .. I do find it easier to use slip jaws instead of a box wrench due to the angle of the head of the wrench

Hardest part is usually getting the plug cap on and off .. tightening u can only do about 1/4 turn at a time so u have to be patient

I have a Clarke 3.2 and it's pretty easy to access the plug on the left side.  Their gas caps are terrible, though.  I should have gotten a metal one from the start.

I have a acerbic 3 gal on my yz .. It’s definitely more difficult to change the plug but it is doable .. I do find it easier to use slip jaws instead of a box wrench due to the angle of the head of the wrench

Hardest part is usually getting the plug cap on and off .. tightening u can only do about 1/4 turn at a time so u have to be patient

How many miles can you get out of your tank? Planning on doing the desert 100 this next spring and need to be able to go 50miles before refueling.
10 minutes ago, seanomono said:

How many miles can you get out of your tank? Planning on doing the desert 100 this next spring and need to be able to go 50miles before refueling.

All depends on the type of riding.   I ride lots of tight woods and could easily get 50 miles on my Clark 3.2 gal (which as bg10459 mentioned offers reasonable spark plug access).   I've done GNCCs which are 3 hrs w/o refueling. 

But you're asking about desert, if that means lots of wide open, then mileage will be considerably less.  Why don't you do a 25 mile ride that's representative of the terrain type and your race-pace riding speed and see what your fuel consumption is? 

Edited by R and D Marine
All depends on the type of riding.   I ride lots of tight woods and could easily get 50 miles on my Clark 3.2 gal (which as bg10459 mentioned offers reasonable spark plug access).   I've done GNCCs which are 3 hrs w/o refueling. 
But you're asking about desert, if that means lots of wide open, then mileage will be considerably less.  Why don't you do a 25 mile ride that's representative of the terrain type and your race-pace riding speed and see what your fuel consumption is? 

That is my plan and was going to do that today but it decided to snow yesterday ha. Negatives of this race being early in the year. Not much time to ride before big event.

I jet and tune my bikes proper so I don't fowel a plug. I run the IMS ZipTys that takes a 10mm socket and 5 minutes to remove if I did.

Had to change one plug once in 6-8 years, had to remove sons (same tank) because his plug came out. Yah, he doesn't maintain his bike, but it wasn't fowled. LOL

I jet and tune my bikes proper so I don't fowel a plug. I run the IMS ZipTys that takes a 10mm socket and 5 minutes to remove if I did.
Had to change one plug once in 6-8 years, had to remove sons (same tank) because his plug came out. Yah, he doesn't maintain his bike, but it wasn't fowled. LOL

Haven't fouled a plug yet but figured I would ask about tank and if it's possible to replace the plug without taking bike apart if I do foul one.

Generally 60-70 on a tank but that’s in slow single track .. these bikes are totally drunks when u get on them so like others mentioned if ur wide open for long periods it’s guna drop a lot

But I’d feel comfortable doing 50 on mine without stopping

Around 75 miles on a 3.2 IMSZipTy w/130# rider.

1 hour ago, 2 STOKE YZ DOC said:

IMO Having to remove a fuel tank on a modern 2 stroke to access the spark plug is a sub-optimized design.  Plain and simple.  Quite frankly, it is a failure to consider all scenarios when the product was in it's design and prototyping phase.  Mechanical failures can and do happen, I think the saying goes, "if it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're gonna have problems".  Consider large elevation changes and the temperature changes that can be found in western mountain long distance endurance races can make achieving the perfect jetting calibration impossible.  Or on the east coast, deep-creek water crossings or bottomless swamps.......when you drop the bike in the creek.  

It reminds me of the conversation I'd like to have with the engineer at Subaru who decided it was a good idea to remove the front wheel and plastic wheel-well liner only to find myself in some sort of contorted position to emulate a double jointed human with miniature appendages just to change a H7 headlight bulb on the wifey's Outback.

1 hour ago, R and D Marine said:

IMO Having to remove a fuel tank on a modern 2 stroke to access the spark plug is a sub-optimized design.  Plain and simple.  Quite frankly, it is a failure to consider all scenarios when the product was in it's design and prototyping phase.  Mechanical failures can and do happen, I think the saying goes, "if it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're gonna have problems".  Consider large elevation changes and the temperature changes that can be found in western mountain long distance endurance races can make achieving the perfect jetting calibration impossible.  Or on the east coast, deep-creek water crossings or bottomless swamps.......when you drop the bike in the creek.  

It reminds me of the conversation I'd like to have with the engineer at Subaru who decided it was a good idea to remove the front wheel and plastic wheel-well liner only to find myself in some sort of contorted position to emulate a double jointed human with miniature appendages just to change a H7 headlight bulb on the wifey's Outback.

Yah, Ty Davis designed it through IMS so the fuel would sit lower on the bike. He must be in it for the money and not a very good rider/racer/tuner. :)

My elevation gains are not that drastic in SoCal. Might be when I move to Prescott full time but I doubt it. I'll tune/jet to 5-6k and above and probably only piddle with the air screw. 

Edited by 2 STOKE YZ DOC
Spelling
I have a Clarke 3.2 and it's pretty easy to access the plug on the left side.  Their gas caps are terrible, though.  I should have gotten a metal one from the start.

You're right! I purchased a billet aluminum gas cap for my Clarke Mfg. aftermarket fuel tank. The gas cap I ordered was made by Tusk Off-Road and it works great.
17 minutes ago, 2 STOKE YZ DOC said:

Yah, Ty Davis designed it through IMS so the fuel would sit lower on the bike. He must be in it for the money and not a very good rider/racer/tuner. :)

You're right, I was wrong.   We should continue make things harder to service.  Especially 50 miles from the truck.  :facepalm:

(there is a great need for a sarcastic font)

1 hour ago, R and D Marine said:

You're right, I was wrong.   We should continue make things harder to service.  Especially 50 miles from the truck.  :facepalm:

(there is a great need for a sarcastic font)

I was looking for :rolleys: but emoticons wouldn't open.

Peace, Gary:rolleyes:

To answer your question, my zip ty tank does block access to the plug, enough to where I'd pull the tank to make it easier. This doesn't bother me at all because...

I can remove my zip ty ims tank in about 5 mins with just a 10mm socket, which is part of my standard kit (why pack a plug wrench and not a 10mm?). I've also never fouled a plug, after riding 2 strokes exclusively for 7 years now. I also don't rejet, and ride from sea level to 5,000 ft in the sierras regularly. And yes, at 5,000 ft my bike runs noticeably rich. 

I would never trade a worse center of gravity (carrying the fuel higher) and worse ergonomics that negatively effects your ride 100% of the time for easier access to the spark plug, which would save me 5 minutes .001% of the time. I change plugs with top ends, when the tank is already off.

I’ve been thinking about which tank to buy for a while. The biggest negative about the zip ty tank is the price. I only see one place to buy it and it’s a little more than most plus they charged me $45 to ship. (To ca from ca) In the end I decided the best ergos are worth the price. I was able to change the plug on my old bike by removing my seat and right side bottom shroud bolt. Then I lifted the tank and put the kick starter under it to make room to work above the pipe. If you buy one do yourself a favor and google zipty racing discount code.

If access to the plug is such a huge deal and/or deal breaker for others. The Acirbis tanks give you the biggenst acces available. But, that being said, you must sacrafice something because they are Fuggly. I have one on the UK boys bike I built for him 2-2 1/2 years ago. Incidentally, he has over 35 hours on it in that time frame, and has never replaced the plug riding from 0 to 5500'. He rides it, cleans it up, I drain all the fuel, and I roll it to the back of my shop and cover it. He gets here, pulls it out, puts fresh fuel in and fires in first or second kick, (three trips thus far). Now that I have said this, the next time he comes out (will be 5300' 7500' AZ) he will probably foul a plug. I am not goin to jet it for him, he needs to learn this stuff on his own. 

I'll have my 04 dialed in by then I hope, and can give him what he needs, then watch him spend some time wrenching as a drink a coldy. 

If access to the plug is such a huge deal and/or deal breaker for others. The Acirbis tanks give you the biggenst acces available. But, that being said, you must sacrafice something because they are Fuggly. I have one on the UK boys bike I built for him 2-2 1/2 years ago. Incidentally, he has over 35 hours on it in that time frame, and has never replaced the plug riding from 0 to 5500'. He rides it, cleans it up, I drain all the fuel, and I roll it to the back of my shop and cover it. He gets here, pulls it out, puts fresh fuel in and fires in first or second kick, (three trips thus far). Now that I have said this, the next time he comes out (will be 5300' 7500' AZ) he will probably foul a plug. I am not goin to jet it for him, he needs to learn this stuff on his own. 
I'll have my 04 dialed in by then I hope, and can give him what he needs, then watch him spend some time wrenching as a drink a coldy. 

Yeah with this bike I need to learn jetting. Negatives of used is who knows what is exactly done. I ride from 800 to max of 6,000ft and it hasn't given me a fouled plug yet. It was a local used bike so I'm sure the guy had it dialed just right for the same stuff I do on it.
2 minutes ago, seanomono said:

Yeah with this bike I need to learn jetting. Negatives of used is who knows what is exactly done. I ride from 800 to max of 6,000ft and it hasn't given me a fouled plug yet. It was a local used bike so I'm sure the guy had it dialed just right for the same stuff I do on it.

Well, like I said.... It's all up to you and what you wan't to do. More stuff packed is not even in the cards. I have the little motion pro multi tool pouch and it reaches the one on the frame. A 10mm does it all except the plug. And the Acirbis is the only large 3+ tank that gives you access but it does have a saddle horn on it, and the fuel is higher on the bike. Ty designed the IMS to sit lower because of slow technical riding in the desert of CA, and Baja. If he thought about plug access I am sure it would probably be only a 2.8 or 2.9 gallon, and not the 3.2. The tank only uses one of the frame mounts (left side). So 5-10mm bolts and the rubber tank strap and its up and out of the way. You can leave the fuel line as the tank will give you access on the right side with a slight lift. 

If you are a racer, and need the extra fuel, get the Acirbis so you can get to it without removal. 

But you have some good comments in here and something to go off.

I just sold my left over 3.2 IMS ZIP TY to the guy buying my last 02 build. He seen my bike and the UK kids bike so he knew the looks and access.