Throttle is "tight" but not sticking

I've noticed that my throttle on my 16' YZ450FX takes a lot more to twist verses my prior KTM or some of my other buddies bikes. When I was at the National last year, Corey McDonald felt it was fairly tight too. He suggested I clean it and see if that helps. I did and it's still tight. Not ridiculously tight, but enough to cause fatigue during a hare scramble (I know... I know, I sound like a wuss! haha). Almost like the return spring is too tight. Is there a fix for this? Anyone else have this issue?

uummm, maybe the plastic throttle tube is broken?

Clean and lightly lube the throttle tube.
Then lube the throttle cables.

Does the tube turn smoothly and easily without cable connected?
Can you actuate the throttle body by hand easily?
Can you pull the cable back and forth easily without anything connected to it?

Long as the tube turns easy and the throttle body isn't binding, your culprit is likely the cable(s).

Pinched cables

T

Thanks guys, I’ll check the routing and if not pinched all go through the checklist above... Is there a special oil or is there something I can pickup at a hardware or automotive store to lube the cables?

Thanks guys, I’ll check the routing and if not pinched all go through the checklist above... Is there a special oil or is there something I can pickup at a hardware or automotive store to lube the cables?

Not sure that a hardware store would have but there defintely is special cable lube you can buy from a dealer or online. Napa or autzone or something might have but I don't think they do.

I'd suggest you follow the steps that @MCahill highlighted, as a visual inspection of the cables might not be enough. It could be something as simple as the tube being jammed against the bar end, causing friction. In that case, loosening the bolts of the throttle assembly will free it up immediately.

I'm sure you can find some specialized oil, but I always had good luck with generic oil, as long as it's very light (3-in-1 oil, suspension oil, even WD40): I position the cable so it's more or less straight and vertical, then put in a few drops from the top and wiggle the cable up and down (first drops might take a while, then it gets easier as the lube starts to go down the cable and "sucks" even more from the top). Put a small rug at the bottom of the cable and let it drip overnight, as you don't need the cable to be soaked in oil.

Edited by 120CCPM