IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×

? for the supporters of Off Road Riders For Veterans

? for the supporters of Off Road Riders For Veterans.
The purpose of the charity is to raise money to buy disabled veterans tracked mobility chairs. Your generous support has allowed us to buy two chairs and give them to two local veterans. I have been presented with the next veteran. He was disabled when he stepped on a IED in Afghanistan. He does not need a tracked chair but does need a utility vehicle so he can keep up the maintenance on his home. The utility vehicle he needs is about the same cost as a tracked chair. Before I say yes I need your approval because you are the ones that have made this charity work. Please send me a personal pm saying Ya or Na.

• Like 3

What is the stated mission of Off Road Riders for Veterans?  That should give you your answer.  If you don't have one or it doesn't help you decide, then ask yourself why you chose to do the tracked mobility chairs?  Is that reasoning applicable in this case as well?  For future situations, it might be a good idea to better define what the mission is so that it will be easy to make a determination for an out of the ordinary need.  If the current stated mission is to provide tracked mobility chairs then there is your answer.

Edited by 4Sevens
  • Like 2

Here is my take and a question,  where do you draw the line. Im sure there are many disabled veterans that could use something to help them get around.  Where do you stop. What if one could use a utility tractor for a farm do you buy them a tractor. What if they really just need basic transportation, do you by them  a van that is set up for a wheel chair?  There are a lot of worthy vets that need financial help just to pay the bills and live a life out of poverty do you help them?

You set this up to by tracked chairs so vets can get out and enjoy nature. My thoughts are for now keep it that way.  You will never be able to help everyone at some point you need to keep a focus goal.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 4Sevens said:

What is the stated mission of Off Road Riders for Veterans?  That should give you your answer.  If you don't have one or it doesn't help you decide, then ask yourself why you chose to do the tracked mobility chairs?  Is that reasoning applicable in this case as well?  For future situations, it might be a good idea to better define what the mission is so that it will be easy to make a determination for an out of the ordinary need.  If the current stated mission is to provide tracked mobility chairs then there is your answer.

Edited by Russ Henry

6 hours ago, Russ Henry said:

? for the supporters of Off Road Riders For Veterans.
The purpose of the charity is to raise money to buy disabled veterans tracked mobility chairs. Your generous support has allowed us to buy two chairs and give them to two local veterans. I have been presented with the next veteran. He was disabled when he stepped on a IED in Afghanistan. He does not need a tracked chair but does need a utility vehicle so he can keep up the maintenance on his home. The utility vehicle he needs is about the same cost as a tracked chair. Before I say yes I need your approval because you are the ones that have made this charity work. Please send me a personal pm saying Ya or Na.

Absolutely yes! It’s about mobility for wounded veterans. Russ, you are a real hero and Patriot. 

Youve single handedly raised my confidence in charity. 

5 hours ago, 4Sevens said:

Great reply. Russ’ mission and vision has no doubt made some adjustments since the beginning. Now with experience, sharpen the objective and focus to what works best. 

All the points made in this thread so far are valid considerations. 

A sad fact is that the tremendous number of veterans in need is only surpassed by the amount of lip service they get from the majority of Americans.  The supporters of Off Road Riders for Veterans are among a minority who are willing to put their money where their mouth is and actually do something for a disabled veteran.

If I understand correctly Russ, the reason you formed this NPO was to give disabled veterans the means to independently move over ground doing things they simply can't do or can't do well in a wheelchair, and that you felt that many in the  off road rider community would step up to support this effort.  With that in mind I see no difference in buying a Trackchair or a quad for this veteran.    If a quad is what he wants to improve his enjoyment in life, so be it.  Lets bust our ass to make it happen for him.

That said, it is a hard core fact that the wide range of needs for the vast number of veterans in need is way beyond our ability to address.  Lets focus on helping disabled veterans to enjoy independent off road mobility.  

• Like 3

Russ Henry I appreciate everyone's input and I have decided that for the long term success of the charity is that we need to stay focused on the original purpose. A "house divided will not stand and a double minded man is unstable in all of his ways". We will stay focused on providing tracked chairs only. Since the last event in Ellensburg. We have raised $7k. I think this weekends Veteran day ride is going to be great. Hope to see a lot of you there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Absolutely yes! It’s about mobility for wounded veterans. Russ, you are a real hero and Patriot. 

Youve single handedly raised my confidence in charity. 

Thank you for the nice compliment. It has been the support of you and the others that has given me hope . This has been an incredible learning experience and the unexpected blessings have been worth the journey

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:50 PM, oldgrunt said:

The supporters of Off Road Riders for Veterans are among a minority who are willing to put their money where their mouth is and actually do something for a disabled veteran.

At the Auburn Veteran's Day parade yesterday there was a group doing something similar. They had two large recreational fishing boats towed behind pickups and handing out business cards to Vets who were interested in a free fishing trip aboard their boats. Perhaps a small contingent of the ORRFV group could organize something for the parade and have either a tracked chair or a few dirt bikes rollin' down the Ave promoting the cause and handing out business cards to those who would like to attend events/help raise money. It'd be a welcome site to the loud ass Harley riders who roll down the block in the parade. 

• Like 2

I appreciate your asking this question Russ ... and would've accepted the other "vehicle" requested as it helps the vet get off road ... but I'm also fine with your decision to stay the course.  And I don't think you risk losing the donor base by asking.  You're doing great work and I'll continue to support you ... and the other heroes you're supporting.  Keep up the good work!