Tiger Vids from fall visit

Downieville...damn, what can you say other than...AWESOME!

If you're afraid of heights and exposure, don't even look at this video let alone go there. Had a great time in Downieville, camped on the River and we liked the burger/pizza joint so much in town, it was the only place we ate at! This is a total "destination" kind of place and the ride along HWY 49 is as good as it gets!

• Like 3

I have a video I'm working on for our day on the Woodcutter trail in Bishop. Also will post up a vid from Washington that was part of our road trip, along with a slide show of places we went. 

Once I'm done with that, I'm FULLY caught up on vid work!!!! And can get all my Snake Pit footage out for a proper film...

Fyi, already planning a Spring West USA trip. Thinking Moab, SW Colorado, New Mexico, South AZ, Havasu, Palm Desert..... Snake Pit if I'm invited.... then up 395 to ski/ride at Mammoth and Tahoe. Hopefully see some of you on the way!

• Like 1

TIGER comes to the rescue!  it was getting way Boring in here.  Thanks. Put a Tiger in your tank :thumbsup:

Edited by bigbob
  • Like 2

never been to downieville,  I would not ride the cliff walls, though I have been on very short runs of cliff wall elsewhere. had enough.  But I always heard Downieville has lots of woods true single trail... was that all BS?    cause shit, I am going to video some of Georgetown trails, like ballard loop 5's and some of 4s,  part of 6,  the 4-2 goat trail.  Heck I would rather ride all of GT then that DV divide thing, but that is me

Oh here is a question Tiger, were you riding a Husky 350 or 501?  sounded mild like a 350,. which would be easier on that wall rock ledge then the 501 I would presume

• Like 1

I was on my 450 and iceman was on his 350. Downieville had some nice high alpine moderate trails without excessive exposure. Also, tons of scenic gravel roads for dual sport. The local bike shops have maps, knowledgeable and friendly staff. 

12 hours ago, bigbob said:

never been to downieville,  I would not ride the cliff walls, though I have been on very short runs of cliff wall elsewhere. had enough.  But I always heard Downieville has lots of woods true single trail... was that all BS?    cause shit, I am going to video some of Georgetown trails, like ballard loop 5's and some of 4s,  part of 6,  the 4-2 goat trail.  Heck I would rather ride all of GT then that DV divide thing, but that is me

Oh here is a question Tiger, were you riding a Husky 350 or 501?  sounded mild like a 350,. which would be easier on that wall rock ledge then the 501 I would presume

It's a lot more than the cliff trails, you don't even need to ride those trails 

• Like 1

Come on big bob live on the edge a little its worth it. the king bee should fly right through there.

If anyone likes Downieville, then a summer trip to Washington is in order. There is enough riding to last an eternity.  The stuff isn’t hard to find either, the National Geographic maps have all the trails listed.  

If a trail in Washington is listed either most difficult or extreme, it damn sure is.  

I would love to host a group of you California guys up here next summer. Fantastic camping areas, cheap motel, also vrbo rentals   

• Like 2

My fall trip started with the super bowl of moto, Gifford Pinchot forest. Damn near killed me on day one.  

The area is monstrous size and has no gas, food or emergency services.  The riding is endless, the scenery is world class and the skill level required is expert plus. No place to mess around. 

This should be on any serious enduro riders bucket list.  

Gifford:  the first third of that video trails looks nice,  then its gets sketchy expert for the rest.  I don't need to be told not to go there.   still can not believe I am riidng the snake, where Tiger was impressed.  WTF am I doing?  probbaly just surviving and watching

Edited by bigbob

A summary of my thoughts and our agenda at Downieville

We did the Sunshine trail out of Poker Flats. Poker Flats was entered via jeep road which was very long and retarded steep with boulders....THIS big. Man, what a ride and we had roadside old timers tell us THIS big, THIS steep at both occassions.....Old Fellars not being liars. But, we ride a ton of that at home so... but we were glad not to ride up that jeep trail for sure. But that Sunshine trail is awesome, a fairly good challenging and it criss crosses a variety of creeks for a variety of scenery and challenge. If you're unsure, just be sure to bring a couple buddies and plenty to drink and eat. Fun stuff!

We exited the finale that day on Empire Creek trail, taking us all the way down to Downieville. Empire Creek is a pretty straight forward trail without exposure or crazy stuff, but not boring for sure. A great moderate difficulty trail. 

We rode up the Lavezzola trail and enjoyed that trail. But, once it got to the top right by the Pacific Crest Trail, we didn't really know what to do and hit some gravel roads that got us terribly lost and disoriented. We wound up all the way over in La Porte before getting a map and figuring our mess out, fortunately the little town had gas! From there we took some of that old timer advice until we found what was historically considered to be a true shit town during the mining days, in old Poker Flats!

The final day of riding we rode up Empire Creek, which we had gone down the day before and really liked. Up top, we then took Chimney Rock Trail to the west and that was both of our favorite trail. Great scenery with moderate difficulty and just some good cruising. We stopped at the Saddleback Mtn Lookout and chatted with the USFS guy there and enjoyed the view. We went down the Fir Cap trail which was pretty easy and lame until we got to gravel roads and couldn't find any more trails, I assume we missed a connection.

As seen in the video, we did all the divide trails and then up the Lavezzola trail. Flat out awesome stuff. Don't try unless you are cool with exposure, have a bike that you can control the weight of, and feel comfortable popping up and down various sized rock ledges while pondering a nice fall to your death/splash into the river below...

The afternoon we arrived in Downieville we were running out of daylight. We raced up to the lookout tower of Sierra Buttes. If they charged $50 to see it, would be worth it! I've seen lots of lookout towers now from moto riding, and SB is numero uno by a very wide margin. 

We spent 3 nights in Downieville at the Union Flat Campground, upon the advice of a local bike shop. Again, the local bike shops were great, especially Yuba Expeditions where we picked up a trail map and some other needed supplies, more of a bicycle shop, they had staff that had moto experience. The restaurant Two Rivers Cafe was so good that we didn't even try anything else! Very nice guys working there and the pizza, burgers were outstanding. Plus it had patio seating facing the river. There was a decent convenience store there with supplies and a nearby hardware store too. But if you plan on camping, bring your own supplies for selection and cost sake.

If you haven't been to Downieville, I can tell you that you'll love it, and it's pretty easy to figure it all out when you get there. The town is quaint and postage stamp sized and the entire economy there is based on tourism so you can expect folks to be friendly and outgoing. My only advice is to have maps and a good gps system running on a garmin or iphone or such so you don't get lost. The area is a very huge forest! 

Ok, on to finishing the Bishop video...

• Like 2

On 11/6/2017 at 2:22 PM, bigbob said:

TIGER comes to the rescue!  it was getting way Boring in here.  Thanks. Put a Tiger in your tank :thumbsup:

Damn, that is a video that I'll use going forward...Tiger in your tank...love it. What a killer concert venue, where is that Bob?

• Like 1

From Bishop, this place was super cool, think it was called Black Canyon, and was accessible after going up Woodcutter. In the 2nd pic, a cactus we spotted at about 10k feet! The only one we saw up there...a lone rebel.... The radio tower was at 10830 feet and I think they got snow that night up there... Our timing was perfect. That was on 10/3

IMG_9692.JPG

IMG_9721.JPG

IMG_9769.JPG

IMG_9798.JPG

• Like 3

Great vid of DV, thanks for posting that. Spent 2 days there in early August, awesome place.

• Like 1