Street legal 450xcf?

How would the 450xcf fair as a street legal trail rig? Looking for something I can ride to the trails on and found a seemingly good deal on a '09 450xcf. My main concerns are gearing and the stock stator making enough power for putting on lights. Anything else I should be weary of?

Thanks

I would love to hear some input also. Just bought a 2016 350 xcf. I am considering doing the same. I’ve had several conversations with Slavens racing, trail tech, and Baja designs regarding lights, signals, kits, stators, etc. Worth giving them a shout. Each aftermarket stator manufacturer offers different options with different wattage. I live in FL, so turn signals are not needed, so traveling to another state to ride is acceptable.

I have a 16 450sxf and have plated it. I live in Georgia and was able to take the title in with insurance and walk out with a plate. I left the gearing stock since still want to ride tracks and also mainly ride tight woods. If I gear it for the road, it will suck on single-track. I use first a lot while my offroad only buddies are in second or third. For quick blasts down the road to connect trails, it is fine. I wouldn't take it on a long road ride, it's just not fun. We trailer up and then can connect trails legally. If you want to ride on the road a lot, forget about it. But it is really cool to have such a capable bike that is legal. I raced a muddy creek this year the day after the national. Although my lighting kit was off the bike, my horn still worked! I was beeping on my way over the jumps, lots of weird looks.

Oh yeah, I installed a sicass lighting kit. Didn't do anything to the stator. I only use the lights when on the road and haven't had any problems.

On 11/26/2017 at 1:45 PM, gyodock said:

I would love to hear some input also. Just bought a 2016 350 xcf. I am considering doing the same. I’ve had several conversations with Slavens racing, trail tech, and Baja designs regarding lights, signals, kits, stators, etc. Worth giving them a shout. Each aftermarket stator manufacturer offers different options with different wattage. I live in FL, so turn signals are not needed, so traveling to another state to ride is acceptable.

TrailTech offers 'total' wattage and doesn't include what the bike itself uses on their data sheets. Ricky Stator gives you 'useable' wattage, after what the bike uses. No clue about the others as those are some of the best two. I use a combo of a battery operated horn and blinkers that are independent of the bikes system and a MotoMinded headlight that is run off the stator. I also have the IMS OS tank good for 200+miles of continuous riding. That being said, the 350xcf is terrible for long 'smooth' road duty. Great for single track, quad, rough fire roads etc... 

IMG_20170330_201746_959.jpg

IMG_20170331_150122_759.jpg