IM DONE LISTENING TO MY KICKSTARTER SLAP ON MY 2T PIPE

Fo many years ive tolerated the sound of my kickstarter slapping against the top of my 2 stroke pipe. I can no longer take this. Here´s the issue explained.

Somewhere along the life of my 300 xc-w I hit the pipe on some log or rock and ever since then the pipe and tip of kickstarter have been in slight contact. When I rev or ride the bike the point of the kickstarter makes the most annoying "ching" on the pipe. 

Please help me fix this. And no, im not going to buy a new pipe. (Mine is perfect as is)

• Haha 1

I'm curious if the OP has a snug fitting carbon fiber pipe guard.  I've found that they protect the pipe from dents very well, but unfortunately the whole pipe bends when you crash. His pipe is probably like mine--nary a dent--but the whole thing is just displaced enough to contact the kickstarter.  

I would just "clearance" the pipe as described above.  It just takes a smidge.  

Sooner or later I'll smash my pipe good, and future pipes will be protected with aluminum guards like my other bikes.  They have some crush space to absorb energy.

Note where kicker touches on pipe. Dent pipe out of the way there with a heavy object and a block of wood.

On car forums they call ot "clearancing" or "massaging".

You now owe me a beer.

ding ding ding we got a winner!!!!!

Kind of

I've tried everything. I don't know wtf. It still finds a spot to rattle. Plus my exhaust takes a beating and is always bent or jammed differently

IMG_3355.jpgIMG_3356.jpg

• Haha 1

On 11.11.2017 at 6:49 PM, cdf450 said:

ding ding ding we got a winner!!!!!

Kind of

I've tried everything. I don't know wtf. It still finds a spot to rattle. Plus my exhaust takes a beating and is always bent or jammed differently

IMG_3355.jpgIMG_3356.jpg

Have you take your pipe off since you smacked it? Big possibility that it is eating your exhaust flange. Just sayingm you should check it out...

Ugh. I looked. This is a brand new pipe that's already destroyed. Even with a guard it has a giant dent. And it's also bent so bad that jts wanting to pop out of the exhaust flange. First pipe got super bent. I straightened it so many times it finally broke. This new pipe is already mangled and needing its first bend back. This sucks. Looks like I'll order the pipe plug dent kit. And bend it back straight. And maybe rebuild kick starter. And and and and...

IMG_3365.thumb.jpg.21257ab4030436a90922fb81330e0e75.jpgIMG_3366.thumb.jpg.6fae022424f909e165994f0c0585eabd.jpg

That pipe is tweaked a bit. ? Try pacific pipe repair. Note that pipes on the two smoke should be regarded as a consumable because you'll be whacking it many more times. Count on it. Shop for used OEM take offs on eBay and just rotate a stock of 3 or so pipes. 

• Like 2

consumable is right. ive had that pipe for like 6 rides!!!!!

with the amount that I go through them, I gotta fix em myself.  bending them in the vice is easy.  I just gotta bite the $60 plug kit to deal with dents... not that they bug me/affect performance.

https://www.frankmxparts.com/epages/62910900.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62910900/Products/1450

Edited by cdf450

On 11/12/2017 at 5:38 PM, cdf450 said:

Ugh. I looked. This is a brand new pipe that's already destroyed. Even with a guard it has a giant dent. And it's also bent so bad that jts wanting to pop out of the exhaust flange. First pipe got super bent. I straightened it so many times it finally broke. This new pipe is already mangled and needing its first bend back. This sucks. Looks like I'll order the pipe plug dent kit. And bend it back straight. And maybe rebuild kick starter. And and and and...

IMG_3365.thumb.jpg.21257ab4030436a90922fb81330e0e75.jpgIMG_3366.thumb.jpg.6fae022424f909e165994f0c0585eabd.jpg

I'm trying to determine if that is a Jack Pine, Lodgepole Pine or Black Spruce stem in there?

http://www.insideeducation.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/TreeShrub.pdf

• Like 1