Acerbis 4.1 vs IMS 4.5 tank

Hey guys, I have a 2017 FE450 and am considering getting a bigger tank for long dual sport rides.  Does anyone have experience with these two tanks?  4.1 gallons is plenty so I don't really need the extra capacity of the IMS.  Which one is built better?  Which one has better ergonomics? 

I'd recommend the IMS 4.5 tank for a number of reasons.  First is their support.  For whatever reason my 4.5 on my 2017 FE501 developed a leak at the left front tank bolt that attaches a small strap to the radiator.  All it took was an email and they're taking care of it with a new tank and shipping both ways.  Everyone I've been able to talk to says it's the first time they've heard of a defect like this and there are a lot of IMS tanks in use.  On my replacement I plan to snug the bolts up and tie wire them.

I also like the appearance.  It looks stock.  The tank is built to accept the stock side panels. Check the look of other brands.  

I contacted ktmandhusky.com about using their radiator guards with this tank.  They said they use an IMS 4.5 and their radiator guards on their Baja Bikes.  There's a new pic of them on their site.  I realize they are KTM bikes but they sure look similar. 

I got the tank mounted last week and left right away for a three day weekend in Moab.  The leak showed after sitting the first night with a full tank of gas and it showed up as a quarter sized wet spot on the ground.  So I rode with it.  Our second day there we rode the White Rim and the tank was a great relief.  The ride was exactly 150 miles round trip from the card gas station on the north side of town.  I definitely appreciate not having to deal with a Rotopax now for long rides and the extra weight isn't noticeable when you're riding.  

On 11/16/2017 at 11:32 PM, duggram said:

I'd recommend the IMS 4.5 tank for a number of reasons.  First is their support.  For whatever reason my 4.5 on my 2017 FE501 developed a leak at the left front tank bolt that attaches a small strap to the radiator.  All it took was an email and they're taking care of it with a new tank and shipping both ways.  Everyone I've been able to talk to says it's the first time they've heard of a defect like this and there are a lot of IMS tanks in use.  On my replacement I plan to snug the bolts up and tie wire them.

I also like the appearance.  It looks stock.  The tank is built to accept the stock side panels. Check the look of other brands.  

I contacted ktmandhusky.com about using their radiator guards with this tank.  They said they use an IMS 4.5 and their radiator guards on their Baja Bikes.  There's a new pic of them on their site.  I realize they are KTM bikes but they sure look similar. 

I got the tank mounted last week and left right away for a three day weekend in Moab.  The leak showed after sitting the first night with a full tank of gas and it showed up as a quarter sized wet spot on the ground.  So I rode with it.  Our second day there we rode the White Rim and the tank was a great relief.  The ride was exactly 150 miles round trip from the card gas station on the north side of town.  I definitely appreciate not having to deal with a Rotopax now for long rides and the extra weight isn't noticeable when you're riding.  

Hi duggram,

I'm trying to decide if I want this same tank and I'm having a heck of time finding good, descriptive photos that really show what it looks like on the bike. Is it possible for you to post a few photos to see what it looks like on your bike?