Stripped oil drain bolt thread

Stripped the thread inside the case, bolt is mint, can't heli coil, rethread etc as the hole isn't vertical rather horizontally facing (14 yz450f) . Thoughts? As usual leave It with you my fellow riders....

IMG_2802.jpg

I am not 100% sure on the design of this bike but could you not pull the pan or case off, retap then put it back together?

Been there done that. It can be repaired with a heli coil or time sett. I have a 14 250f in my shop right now that I did the repair on. Step one, no short cuts. You have to pull the engine. Step 2 rig up a hose to connect to the breather on the valve cover and connect that to a source of compressed air via a blow gun. You use this to blow the chips out the hole as you drill and tap. This keeps the chips out of the inside of the engine. Try to find a bit with a square drive on it that you can use a tap wrench on a drill by hand. Don't use an electric  or air drill if at all possible. It's way too easy to wreck the case if it gets away from you. Drill it tap it put the insert in and put the engine back in the bike. Do a couple oil changes right away to verify the you got all the chip out and have fun. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

Install a time sert

I agree. Time sert is always a better option if time to get one isn't an issue. 

Been there done that. It can be repaired with a heli coil or time sett. I have a 14 250f in my shop right now that I did the repair on. Step one, no short cuts. You have to pull the engine. Step 2 rig up a hose to connect to the breather on the valve cover and connect that to a source of compressed air via a blow gun. You use this to blow the chips out the hole as you drill and tap. This keeps the chips out of the inside of the engine. Try to find a bit with a square drive on it that you can use a tap wrench on a drill by hand. Don't use an electric  or air drill if at all possible. It's way too easy to wreck the case if it gets away from you. Drill it tap it put the insert in and put the engine back in the bike. Do a couple oil changes right away to verify the you got all the chip out and have fun. 

Thanks man, Will look into this, sounds like the go.