Rotella 15-40

Works for me, just make sure you KEEP IT CLEAN. It's a lot cheaper to change oil than rebuild the motor.

• Like 2

I have been using T6 full synthetic in all my four strokes for years street bikes and dual sports, Never tried it in 2 strokes.

I had heard somewhere recently that Rotella had changed there formulation lately but didnt follow up on it because I have about 5-6gallons of the old formula sitting on the shelf,  When I run out I will investigate more.

Edited by Iffykid

This was just discussed. Most on this forum are older guys that still ride for fun. 

At a pro racers stand point the rotella is not good.  It breaks down quick!  So if you are a fast rider that gets full rev out of your machine then rotella is not good. This is what you should try in your 250f.  Try it and abserve yourself.  Not sure on your 125 since it revs to the moon.  Might be a good oil in that machine also.  Test it

IMG_5422.PNG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yz250f 78 said:

This was just discussed. Most on this forum are older guys that still ride for fun. 

At a pro racers stand point the rotella is not good.  It breaks down quick!  So if you are a fast rider that gets full rev out of your machine then rotella is not good. This is what you should try in your 250f.  Try it and abserve yourself.  Not sure on your 125 since it revs to the moon.  Might be a good oil in that machine also.  Test it

IMG_5422.PNG

From a Pro racers standpoint, I disagree... 

• Like 5

IMG_5422.thumb.PNG.e9fc225a0df6ed8a139886daf06b2f57.PNG

I’m not a pro racer by any means. I race C class. I was thinking since I run stock internals in both bikes (except the 125 will be bored out to a 144 next year) 15-40 conventional wouldn’t be a problem to run. I run 10-40 belray right now in my 250f.
  • Like 1

I propose any poster who starts a new Rotella thread gets 5 demerits and put on double secret probation for a month.

• Like 21

I propose any poster who starts a new Rotella thread gets 5 demerits and put on double secret probation for a month.

my bad ‍♂️
  • Like 3

My point flew right by you. 

Ya rotella my work for someone that isn't on the motor. But for a racer, as I speak through experience, one race and it's beat down and thin like water

if rotella doesn't withstand a single race then I ask you, why would you use it anyway.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hpsailer124 said:

Keep it clean?

Don't use foul language around it!

I don't ride hard and change oil quite often, 200 miles or so and it's not black gunk, still looks like oil.

Call rotella and have them tell you it's great for MX or dirtbikes. They won't!!   But let me guess, your gonna say, but but it says it on the bottle, JASA-MA.    DOESNT SAY ITS FOR MOTOCROSS OR EVEN DIRTBIKES!

and rotella is dirty! It leaves a black residue all over the inside of your motor. 

Could that over time be called sludge????

go ahead use it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yz250f 78 said:

IMG_5422.PNG

This looks like the automotive formulation and not the motorcycle specific formulation, Makes me wonder if it meets the JASO standard for use with wet clutches?

My point flew right by you. 
Ya rotella my work for someone that isn't on the motor. But for a racer, as I speak through experience, one race and it's beat down and thin like water
if rotella doesn't withstand a single race then I ask you, why would you use it anyway.     

I’m just tired of buying small jugs of belray 10-40. So would you consider mobile 1 10-40 synthetic comparable? Sorry for all the dumb questions just like getting as much research and info as I can before I make a switch.

8 minutes ago, Iffykid said:

This looks like the automotive formulation and not the motorcycle specific formulation, Makes me wonder if it meets the JASO standard for use with wet clutches?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I looked up the specs on the Mobil full synth and it doesn't have a JASO rating for wet clutches. Use a your own risk.

I will tell you that I have put Rotella 5-40w T6 in all of my wet clutch bikes and have not had any issues albeit I am not a full on racer. If you are full time racer I know that Royal Purple 2-stroke oil has a good reputation

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/hp-2c-2-cycle-engine-oil/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, yz250f 78 said:

Call rotella and have them tell you it's great for MX or dirtbikes. They won't!!   But let me guess, your gonna say, but but it says it on the bottle, JASA-MA.    DOESNT SAY ITS FOR MOTOCROSS OR EVEN DIRTBIKES!

and rotella is dirty! It leaves a black residue all over the inside of your motor. 

go ahead use it

OK...but you'e wrong... 

• Like 13

Don't use Rotella especially if you have a ktm. They have wet clutches and require synthetic oil. If you can afford to run decent oil in your bike then your in the wrong hobby. Rotella is designed for diesel engines.

What are you people doing to these oils to break then down in a day or two?  These oils hold up to extreme duty high heat diesel turbos but a single cylinder dirt bike engine destroys it? This whole "good for someone who doesnt race" stuff is nonsense. Theres zero non-anecdotal evidence to back that up.

If you've never done a blackstone labs (or similar) test - youre guessing at best.  I would love to see broken down rotella as it would be a first. 

32 minutes ago, DEMI said:

I know some forums force a "Are you sure the information isnt in these threads?" Search suggestion before someone posts.  We need an all out ban on "Rekluse Engine Brake" and "Rotella" - at least until the next reformulation. Funny story Rekluse used to recommend Rotella, now they recommend more but still have Rotella on the table.

OP - Google Blackstone Labs Bobistheoilguy Rotellta and have fun.  Compare it to other oils new and used with VOA or UOA tests.  That site will have more information then you'll want to know.  On top of that, send your samples off to blackstone.  They will tell you everything you want to know about the oil and internal engine wear.  

Spoiler Alert: OCI (Oil Change Interval) is more important then the oil you run.  If you change your oil every ride you'd be fine with the cheapest walmart dino oil.  If you run a high end synthetic, its likely that the filter will go bad before the oil.

2 minutes ago, yz250f 78 said:

go ahead use it

Yea, because they have these guys called lawyers that dont allow them.  Funny story, if its not good for motorcycles why did it carry JASO MA2 certification? :thinking:

Stop trying to be clever and actually look up or post facts.  Seriously you believe oil left black stuff?  How is that even possible?  Oil just picks up the carbon  from combustion and removes it from the engine - oil turning black has little to nothing to do with quality or anything!  Have you ever actually had your oil tested?  Theres plenty of people that do and seem to say otherwise and have non-empirical data to back it up... https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2015818-Oil-Analysis-12-500-miles-Shell-Rotella-T6-5W40

3 minutes ago, Dirtshark808 said:

Don't use Rotella especially if you have a ktm. They have wet clutches and require synthetic oil. If you can afford to run decent oil in your bike then your in the wrong hobby. Rotella is designed for diesel engines.

Ugh.  "Especially if you have a KTM"?  Yea, because Yami, Suzi, Kawi, Husky, or any other motorcycle in the history of motorcycles rarely use wet clutches :rolleyes:.  Also it used to be rumor that synthetic was bad for clutches because it was too slick, how you're saying they require it?  I also assume you mean "Cant afford".

Rotella T6 goes in everything I own.  Been doing it for years.  Its a wonder how I havent blown anything up considering its a diesel oil and i dont own anything that burns diesel.

1 minute ago, theBIGnaud said:

ATF!

PLEASE DONT TELL THEM IM USING DIESEL OIL IN MY MOTORCYCLE!!!!  I DONT WANT THEM TO SHOOT MY DOGGO!

Blank+_d89752fd3a54f82d28badeb53e9d27c9.

• Like 12

I ust to run Rotella in my 250f and had clutch slipping all the time. The second I switched it fixed all the issues. Obviously everyone has their own opinions so what ever works best for you then run it. If you want to run a cheaper oil and do more oil changes then that's your choice.