05 crf230f using a lot of fuel?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 05 crf230 and I’ve done a lot of research and people are saying they are getting at least 80 miles out of one tank!? I probably get an average of 4-5 miles out of one tank which is quite concerning. Anyone got any advice? The bike pops on deceleration if that’s any help.

Cheers Dan

1 minute ago, Dan Little said:

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 05 crf230 and I’ve done a lot of research and people are saying they are getting at least 80 miles out of one tank!? I probably get an average of 4-5 miles out of one tank which is quite concerning. Anyone got any advice? The bike pops on deceleration if that’s any help.

Cheers Dan

Check your oil dipstick, the carb float is probably leaking and all that fuel is in your crankcase, not a good thing.  You need to clean the carb and maybe replace the float needle.  Don't run the engine until you verify the oil in the crankcase isn't diluted with a gallon of gasoline.

• Like 1

It has to be a leak, no way it's burning that much fuel. Have you checked for fuel in the airbox? How many tanks have you run through that you only got 4-5 miles out of?

Dirt in the tank/lines can cause the needle to stick, then reset, Float level should be checked as well. Do you store with the petcock open?

• Like 3

You must mean 40-50 miles right? That would be bad BUT 4-5 miles? You could not move that amount of fuel through that engine with out hyd. locking the engine! Does it take you 4-5 hrs to go 4-5 miles hahaha. Sorry but I don't think you can even lose that much fuel from the float bowl vent.........

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ricky racer said:

You must mean 40-50 miles right? That would be bad BUT 4-5 miles? You could not move that amount of fuel through that engine with out hyd. locking the engine! Does it take you 4-5 hrs to go 4-5 miles hahaha. Sorry but I don't think you can even lose that much fuel from the float bowl vent.........

Is it April fools already?  

just doesn't add up,  there is a bunch of threads about float level, and excessive fuel use, leaking... just search it

70-100 miles per tank on a stock bike.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dan Little said:

I do store with the petcock open but I refill before every ride. How do I check the float height? It’s everyride that I get about 5 miles out of it

Maybe it is leaking out of the top of the tank where the cap goes, with the help of someone with a siphon hose and gas can. ?

Do you have kids or sneaky neighbors?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NEODS said:

It has to be a leak, no way it's burning that much fuel. Have you checked for fuel in the airbox? How many tanks have you run through that you only got 4-5 miles out of?

Dirt in the tank/lines can cause the needle to stick, then reset, Float level should be checked as well. Do you store with the petcock open?

A leak that big would be very obvious by smell alone.  Even burning that much fuel there would be a strong fuel smell and eyes burning, maybe even lighting the woods on fire behind you.

• Like 3

Put one gallon in when it's empty and just take off down the road for the next town....   Have your brother re set the odometer on his car and follow you until you run out of gas... Tah-Dah! There's your mpg reading...

Then re fill with the tank your bro brought with him in his car, and ride home

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mixxer said:

Put one gallon in when it's empty and just take off down the road for the next town....   Have your brother re set the odometer on his car and follow you until you run out of gas... Tah-Dah! There's your mpg reading...

Then re fill with the tank your bro brought with him in his car, and ride home

His brother is siphoning the gas out of the 230 to put in his car.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dan Little said:

Yeah I’ll do a proper test sometime, and I’ll get back to you

No no no....

That's not how it works here... Once you get members on board with problems/ questions... You have to follow through immediately!

You have 48 hours to comply...

Go go go

• Like 4