Ball Creek GPX - Burlington, NC

November 18 – November 19

Ball Creek MX Park 2031 Hughes Mill Rd. Burlington, NC 27217

Great new facility in central NC and the landowners are top notch. The race is being put on by Off Road Arrow GPX Series which is the same people that run the VXCS. This facility has it all. Great dirt, well prepped mx and turn tracks and some fun flowy trails. It should make for a great venue to race at. 

Post on the Ball Creek GPX Event Page on Facebook for more details. 
https://www.facebook.com/events/1128952100573474

Edited by StretchASU

I’ve been wanting to check their trails out for a while.  Looks pretty sweet.  Their schedule is hard to come by so it’s made setting up a day to ride difficult.  

2 hours ago, Zurich said:
I just rode at Ball Creek today. Nice set up. Something for everyone.20171112_133913.jpg.8536fb92743f5a43431f6b99a42830a3.jpg

I would like to ride their trails next Saturday if they are going to be open.  How much is the daily admission cost for trail riding?

Edited by ron_m

Just now, Zurich said:

$25

Did you just ride the MX tracks or did you also ride their trails?  If you rode the trails, how were they?  One-way, two-way, double track or single track?

May go ride this place also.. closest place I've seen that looks decent

Are they open all weekend or what?

17 hours ago, Schpenxel said:

May go ride this place also.. closest place I've seen that looks decent

Are they open all weekend or what?

Follow their social media. Schedule is weather and event dependent. They shoot for both weekend days and 1-2 days per week in the afternoons. This weekend may be a modified schedule and I am unsure if it will be open unless you're racing. The series that is doing the race usually holds Saturday practice so riders can check out the course for Sundays. 

18 hours ago, ron_m said:

Did you just ride the MX tracks or did you also ride their trails?  If you rode the trails, how were they?  One-way, two-way, double track or single track?

Trails are 1 way, easy to follow the main loop. One creek crossing that can get you if you don't keep the momentum up the far side but there are plans for a bridge there eventually. There are other trails looping within the main if you know where they are. This is an upstart thing and Moto was their first focus but they love the woods riders and plan to make more progress on the trails this winter. It is primarily "wide" singletrack. Only a few trees on the whole loop that can sneak out and getcha. One section is a fire break through some pines that you can really haul ass on and its bermed up nicely. Flow is good and there are some good, short, rocky sections that you can hit to make the loop a little more of a challenge. 

To break it down, this is how we normally run "a lap": Go past the AX/SX track and down to the wood line, there is a truck road that goes to the creek they use to supplement the water truck. You'll see the trail starting out on the right after a pile of sand. Go right: this snakes around the edge of the creek. You'll make a hard left down a hill to the creek. Another entrance branches in here from above the AX/SX track so go hard left. Right will just take you back out to the field. Drop into and across the creek. Once you are in the creek, KEEP YOUR MOMENTUM, pick a rut and look ahead. Its all flagged and the trail is burned in so its easy to follow. Out of the creek, left, across two downed logs, still following the creek. Out of a right hand corner it goes straight then you'll make a left through a small gully (just before this gully is actually a log bridge, take that, as the gully can get rutted and wet) its not bad but the bridge sneaks up on you. Once you know where it is, its hard to miss. Keep going, a few more turns then another log crossing and a quick hillclimb. Momentum will carry you right up it. Then you come to a wider section of 2 track that is ATV width. Rocky in places, some dips that can get ya so be careful the first lap and make a mental note. This section is fast and brakes hard into a few little rollers and a hard left across a rocky section of the creek. DO NOT MISS THIS LEFT TURN. lol. Its a 3 ft drop into the creek if you do. More singletrack, a few stubs and rock piles to dodge then a hard right up a hill into the pine fire break. This stuff flows awesome but there are a few chicanes to keep your speed in check. More singletrack, a few more turns and across a future access road into more singletrack that flows well but is a little tighter. You'll come over a big roller, here is where you have another option. Go straight and follow blue arrows or go left at the bottom of the roller and it snakes back toward the national MX track and is a little tighter. These two trails converge again at a bridge just before you get to the actual road going to the National Track. If you went straight (which we normally do), you can actually skip the bridge to the left where they come together and drop into the creek and out the other side. Cross the road, down the hill and through a rocky bed again and either go straight and make the hillclimb a bit of a sweeper or square it off to the right and shoot straight up a rocky hill back into the trail. Hard left and then a right out into the field again at the water truck road and that's a lap. There are a few options I left out but that's how we typically run 1 lap (Mid 5 min avg for a mid pack Vet B rider, low 5 min for a Vet A and 4:45 for a local AA/Pro when we are hauling the mail) 

On 11/13/2017 at 3:42 PM, StretchASU said:

Follow their social media. Schedule is weather and event dependent. They shoot for both weekend days and 1-2 days per week in the afternoons. This weekend may be a modified schedule and I am unsure if it will be open unless you're racing. The series that is doing the race usually holds Saturday practice so riders can check out the course for Sundays. 

Will do thanks. Yeah just wanting a practice day, not wanting to race or anything like that. 

Me too, just waiting on a beginner practice day on a date I can actually make it.. I am going to make it out there sooner or later though 

Just messaged them and they said they’ll be open Saturday noon-4 and the trails open at 11. I’ll be there at 10:30 hahaha. I’ll be in a white Silverado riding a yz250x.  I’m 6’9” so you can’t miss me.  If anyone else is going to be there riding let me know.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adhorne1775 said:

Just messaged them and they said they’ll be open Saturday noon-4 and the trails open at 11. I’ll be there at 10:30 hahaha. I’ll be in a white Silverado riding a yz250x.  I’m 6’9” so you can’t miss me.  If anyone else is going to be there riding let me know.  

So weird, I was trying to find their instagram account to see if there was any news about this weekend when I saw you respond here.

Did they say anything about Sunday?  I'd like to get out there but can't Saturday.  Are they doing practice for everyone or just A/B or what?

I didn’t check about Sunday, and I’m pretty sure it’s open practice.  I messaged them through Facebook.  

Ok thanks I'll shoot them a message and check on Sunday and report back in case anyone else here is wondering about Sun.

Would have liked to meet you I just can't get out there Saturday 

• Like 2