Iffykid

Transit or Promaster Pro, Motovan/Dailydriver/Camper

Thinking of a newer van to replace my 2015 Transit Connect, Not tall enough to fit bike inside not enough power to pull a 5X10' enclosed trailer easily.  99% of time I am driving solo.

Long wheel base standard height Promaster Pro is 90" inside height should be ok for my towering 5-7" stature, Hightop would probably over kill and more wind resistance.  Slightly wider than the Transit might allow me to build a bunk width wise.  FWD might be nice as a daily driver during a Mn winter. Minus points for the fugly front end but I could live with it.  Also slightly less expensive than the Transit.

Long wheel base mid height Transit 100" would allow for not having to stoop over 5-7" but being narrower would likely need to orient a bunk lengthwise.

Both vans have app 12' length cargo capacity which should allow me to eliminate my 5X10 vnose enclosed trailer or easily pull it if chose to keep it.

Which one why?

Edited by Iffykid

I met a guy from AL who rented a ProMaster  to haul his bikes to a big vintage meet here in TX and he was very happy with it. Said he got excellent MPG and it was very nice on the road. As far as looks, none of the new vans are going to win any awards.

36 minutes ago, harnessthegnarness said:

ProMaster was the only choice for me due to FWD.

some jobbers around here have had traction issues going up steep driveways with heavy cargo in back causing front wheel spin, especially  when wet.

• Like 1

some jobbers around here have had traction issues going up steep driveways with heavy cargo in back causing front wheel spin, especially  when wet.

RWD would be good with 4,000lbs in the back. FWD is awesome for hauling dirt bikes and snowboards.

Winter time daily driver load would be mostly empty with the typical accumulation of odds and ends maybe 100-200 pounds at most.

Summer time motovan camping gear and a couple of bikes.

Edited by Iffykid

On 11/12/2017 at 6:56 PM, highmarker said:

V8 nissan if you wanna pull that enclosed trailer

Promaster has a tow rateing of 5100lbs, I think it should be capable of pulling a 1000lb 5x10 with a couple of bikes in the back.

I believe the Transit has a tow capacity of around 7,000 lbs

Edited by Iffykid

25 minutes ago, nocturnal said:

Will a low roof Promaster fit in a standard garage?

7' door no

8' door yes

• Like 1

Promaster is the better value imo and has better ergonomics for the driver also.

If you are referring to the RAM Pro Master City, this is the size of the Ford Transit, they have reliability issues. Full disclosure, the newest is 2015. Dodge may have fixed these issues.

I have a service fleet of 9 Pro Master Cities, FWD, 4 cyl, 9 spd.  We run these trucks 8-10 hours a day during the work week.

Here are the issues we see;

Transmission module - mounted low on the outside of the transmission. when it goes bad, it feels like someone hitting the rear bumper with a sledge hammer.

Fan switch - electric fan only, if the switch goes bad you will overheat (back ordered nationwide, I have one truck waiting at the dealer for 6 months)

Low Oil shut off - If you are low on oil the engine wont start, good idea but...if you run low while driving then shut off, you can't restart. Solved by keeping 2 qts in the truck.

Cabin is very odd shaped like a "V". Foot well is very narrow and arm rest area is very wide.  

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, snb73 said:

If you are referring to the RAM Pro Master City, this is the size of the Ford Transit, they have reliability issues. Full disclosure, the newest is 2015. Dodge may have fixed these issues.

I have a service fleet of 9 Pro Master Cities, FWD, 4 cyl, 9 spd.  We run these trucks 8-10 hours a day during the work week.

Here are the issues we see;

Transmission module - mounted low on the outside of the transmission. when it goes bad, it feels like someone hitting the rear bumper with a sledge hammer.

Fan switch - electric fan only, if the switch goes bad you will overheat (back ordered nationwide, I have one truck waiting at the dealer for 6 months)

Low Oil shut off - If you are low on oil the engine wont start, good idea but...if you run low while driving then shut off, you can't restart. Solved by keeping 2 qts in the truck.

Cabin is very odd shaped like a "V". Foot well is very narrow and arm rest area is very wide.  

Pro Master City is the same size as the Transit Connect not the Transit.

Wouldnt it make more sense to check the oil and add needed oil in the engine, instead of keeping 2qts in the van and waiting for the low oil shutoff.

Edited by Iffykid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am referring to the full size promaster, the little ones are a bad joke in my eyes. Both brands.

1 hour ago, Iffykid said:

Pro Master City is the same size as the Transit Connect not the Transit.

Wouldnt it make more sense to check the oil and add needed oil in the engine, instead of keeping 2qts in the van and waiting for the low oil shutoff.

:facepalm:  :lol:

1 hour ago, ring ding ding said:

:facepalm:  :lol:

Guess some are using the low oil shutoff in place of the idiots light:thumbsdn:

i own one of the smaller promasters, the design is great for bikes and stealth camping...

Unfortunatly its a product of FIAT and the repairs are on-going and constant. The engine is extremly powerful and very advanced,  once your off warrantee sell that turd quick!!!!..

If i was to do it again i would have bought the Ford...

Edited by Fred Wendel