X-Trainer Horn Mounting

I bought the x-trainer bracket to mount my horn. I was hoping someone could take a picture to make sure I've got it right.

Thanks

Heh, that bracket broke the first time I rode my xtrainer. ;)

IMG_20171108_075625444.jpgIMG_20171108_075658633.jpg

17 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Thank you sir

30 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

You should seal up your steering lock, see all that rust? Water is going to get into your steering head bearings.

1 hour ago, FUHL said:

You should seal up your steering lock, see all that rust? Water is going to get into your steering head bearings.

I agree (just in case we're voting.)  I was amazed to discover that there's a open path behind this lock directly into the steering head.  Any water that gets in here will end up sitting on top of the lower bearing.  I haven't read of anyone reporting damage due to this though (unlike some other Beta quirks.)  For less than $5 you can pick up a 4-pack of 7/8" (22 mm) rubber chair leg tips at Home Depot or Amazon that'll fit right over it.  You can use one for yourself and gift the others to your Beta Buddies.

20161112.jpg

Back to the original topic, here's a shot with my horn mount bracket still in place as a spacer under the black front fender support thingy.  After reading about so many breaking over time I took my horn off a long time ago.  There's never anyone to hear it where I do most of my riding anyway.

20170510.jpg

Thanks for the photo. I'm only mounting it so that I can get my bike street legal, otherwise I wouldn't bother. 

Mine broke last year I ducted taped it back on as I do use my Xtrainer as a dualsport.

Another issue with the horn is its +12 on one side and the button grounds the other side.  If you break it off and/or short the wire, which happens, you blow the main fuse and then no Estart.  If I REALLY needed it, I'd rewire the ckt. so it was grounded and switched the +12 with the button,  or mount it on the back of the light shell where its better protected anyway.

13 minutes ago, GP said:

Another issue with the horn is its +12 on one side and the button grounds the other side.  If you break it off and/or short the wire, which happens, you blow the main fuse and then no Estart.  If I REALLY needed it, I'd rewire the ckt. so it was grounded and switched the +12 with the button,  or mount it on the back of the light shell where its better protected anyway.

Know this from experience. Frustrating for sure

24 minutes ago, GP said:

Have you experienced this firsthand?  Looking at the wiring diagrams it appears that the lone fuse protects the 12V side of the battery, which only powers the starter motor.  Everything else on the bike appears to run off of non-fused stator power after the engine is running.  I'm not arguing that Bad Things won't happen if the 12v horn wire is shorted.  Just that I don't think the fuse will protect the electrical system if this happens.

I bought and installed one of these on my 250rr re, i use it to beep at slower riders in my XC races instead of yelling. I just used the speedo computer bracket mounting hole behind head light plate. Its out of the way and you wont smash it if you dump the bike. 

horn.jpg

3 hours ago, wwguy said:

Have you experienced this firsthand?  Looking at the wiring diagrams it appears that the lone fuse protects the 12V side of the battery, which only powers the starter motor.  Everything else on the bike appears to run off of non-fused stator power after the engine is running.  I'm not arguing that Bad Things won't happen if the 12v horn wire is shorted.  Just that I don't think the fuse will protect the electrical system if this happens.

No, and no Xtrainer here, but the RRs, at least the early ones would do this.  I pulled all that stuff off making the harness minimal.