Tips to selling a dirtbike?

Ive posted my bike up on craigslist quiet a bit but no one seems interested. Im asking a very fair price based on whats around me and the price range. Ive tried everything. But getting no hits on it. Maybe one here and there but they fall through.

Ive posted my bike up on craigslist quiet a bit but no one seems interested. Im asking a very fair price based on whats around me and the price range. Ive tried everything. But getting no hits on it. Maybe one here and there but they fall through. IMG_0452.thumb.jpg.60a573a1a8f1755121c64886e1549605.jpg

Are people coming and looking at it post a picture of your add

1. End of the riding season
2. Craigslist prices are typically very unrealistic. Look at KBB dealer prices to get a fair value.

People have tried pulling that on me a few times. They wanna offer me 1500 for the bike. Like lmfao.

Are people coming and looking at it post a picture of your add

Dont have an ad made up. Craigslist is being stupid and taking them down when i post. Only posted the bike up twice in a week.

What year YZ?
Full service records?
Title/MSO?
Race history?
Craigslist has ads that are over priced and buyers who will offer 25% of a fair value.

The bike off of kbb is listed at 2200 and some change. Im asking 2600. Its an 06 yz250f. IMG_0459.jpg kind of a garbage pic

that looks like an 06-09 250f  with a bald rear tire and worn through frame guards........ what makes you think its worth more than 1500 bucks?

2600 for an 06 250f will never happen. that is a 1250 to 1500 bike tops

• Like 2

What year YZ?
Full service records?
Title/MSO?
Race history?
Craigslist has ads that are over priced and buyers who will offer 25% of a fair value.

Never been raced only trail ridden and VERY well taken care of. Its had valves adjusted and tranny went through and checked. nearly 1k in suspension for woods and my weight.

We can’t really help you without knowing about the bike, asking price, and seeing the ad. It could be any one or a combination of those things that are keepers by potential buyers away.

Not a good time of year to be a seller though, lot less people looking to buy right now typically than during spring and summer.

We can’t really help you without knowing about the bike, asking price, and seeing the ad. It could be any one or a combination of those things that are keepers by potential buyers away.

Not a good time of year to be a seller though, lot less people looking to buy right now typically than during spring and summer.

True. Im mainly wanting to trade it if possible for an 05+ yz250.

that looks like an 06-09 250f  with a bald rear tire and worn through frame guards........ what makes you think its worth more than 1500 bucks?
2600 for an 06 250f will never happen. that is a 1250 to 1500 bike tops

A bald rear tire and worn through frame guards? And have you seen the outrageous people asking 4k for an 02 cr250r with like 500 in addons? Please stop. Youre no help.

Title?

Service records?

They split the cases to check the trans? Why?

How many hours?

Leak down test?

Based on the picture, I'd say it is a $1,800 bike. Your grand in suspension work adds nothing. Near bald rear tire tells me the bike is not perfectly maintained. KBB DEALER price (high) is $2,200

• Like 7

1 minute ago, RidingWithStyle said:

A bald rear tire and worn through frame guards? And have you seen the outrageous people asking 4k for an 02 cr250r with like 500 in addons? Please stop. Youre no help.

no one is getting 4k for 02 cr250r's.  in CA thats a desirable bike too. they sell for 1500-2500 depending on condition

Not trying to be a dick. i buy and sell A LOT on CL. i can tell that you havent done this many times.

old 250f's have the WORST resale value of any dirtbike. that is a fact

that bike is worth 1250-1500 and it will not sell until you lower the price

• Like 4

Just zoomed in on the pic and it looks like the rear sprocket is shot, too. If you use comparable Craigslist listings to set your price, yours will be sitting there 3 months from now just like they are. Sorry, but don't ask the question if you can't live with the answer.

• Like 6

I agree that you're asking too much.

Keep in mind...when you say "Valves just adjusted" on a modern 4 stroke, that means they're starting to stretch and need to be replaced soon. If it's the second time shimming them...the new owner can expect maybe 10-20 hours before replacing them. (assuming they don't suck into the head and grenade the motor before then)

• Like 1

ill throw my 2 cents in.....
I buy and sell abit myself, and the things that make the most sense usually sell the best, what I mean is don't just look at what others are asking for their stuff that is similar to yours look at what other things can be bought for what your asking and decide if you were a buyer which one would you rather buy i.e.....yours is a 06 250 that needs a little money put into it , I would wager that there are newer bikes on craiglist in your area and bigger bikes that are priced similarly . it is a 12 yr old dirt bike, people looking will consider getting into the EFI era as well probably right around the same price, people seem to believe if you buy as new as possible there is a less chance for wear and tear.  there are exceptions to this of course, one being that a bike has meticulous service records and is in visible excellent shape(loved) .  I refer to this as pride of ownership, if the seller clearly shows pride in ownership then the bike itself probably has been well loved.  looking at Kelley blue book high retail is just that RETAIL..if bought through a dealer at retail there are some assurances that you pay for, short term warranty , point inspection, safety evaluation ect...with private party sell there are no assurances and thus price is reflective.  the biggest question I would ask myself to figure out why my bike is not selling is--- what are people buying instead of mine? somebody has bought a dirtbike for your asking price in your area in the time you have been selling yours, why didn't they buy yours? was the other one newer, nicer,titled, ect.....if you can figure this out or have a good guess you can adjust fire on your circumstance if you want, there are bikes on craiglist that stay on there forever because the person selling believes the value is higher then the market dictates, the old saying is something is only worth what some one else is willing to pay.  Gold has no real value other then the value that people place on it, and that value changes daily. your yz250f is the same, it has no value other then what some one else places on it, its your choice weather to agree or not but its not the buyers fault for holding a different value then your perception.

it looks like a good bike and in my area that bike would sell in November for 1600 ish if titled .

• Like 4

I hate to say it, but I have to agree with William and Dirtymutt. Aftermarket upgrades add nothing to the value on resale, unless you get lucky and happen upon that one buyer who is looking for your exact upgrades.

I enjoy buying, selling, and trading dirt bikes and will only buy a bike if I can get buy it between the NADA low to average retail, which in your case is $900-1185 in my area.

When I sell, I make sure the bike is clean, has no worn parts, has good tires, new air filter, new oil, new grips, and new chain (if needed). Buyers want a bike they can take out and ride immediately.

I usually ask slightly over KBB suggested retail to leave me room to negotiate and I am prepared to accept less. If you see other ads in your area asking higher than KBB retail, I would be willing to bet most of those ads are a couple months old already or will be soon enough. Most of the bikes I have sold are gone within 36 hours of posting. Six so far this year.

If people are not contacting you, it's a sure sign your pricing is way off. Remember, buyers have access to the internet also.

• Like 2

It’s the worst time of year to sell and the best time to buy. I buy and sell older 2 strokes, not as a line of work, but more of a rescue mission. An IT175 in good order can good can go for between £3500 and £4500. The same bike this time of year will only attract half that. Unless the bike is really new or really old, it’s hard to shift. But remember if you have to drop the price to shift it on, so does the guy who you buy you next bike off. :)

The time of year is the opposite here in California however. Right now...folks in CA are bringing out their "Red Sticker" bikes (race bikes) since you can only ride them from October through April. You can pretty much ride year round here.

The OP doesn't say where he's from...but now is the time to sell his bike in CA.

• Like 1