Tips to selling a dirtbike?

It’s for this reason I have stopped dealing with complete machines and just deal with parts now (both bikes and atvs). Yours is at the age where it’s worth more in parts than whole. The motor, carb and front suspension are worth the same as if you sold that whole bike ($1500-$1900 around here). These guys aren’t steering you wrong.

Rob

Edited by rdlsz24

As a wise old salesperson once told me, "the market will tell you if you are priced right".  The market is telling you are priced too high - plain and simple.  If you are priced right, you will get interest because someone will see value in what you are offering.

First of all, your looking at retail value of the bike.  Your not a retail establishment, you are in fact selling wholesale.  Big difference.  Second, you have the bike listed as Excellent condition.  Sorry, but the rear tire is shot, the rear sprocket is shot, the seat is worn, rear fender graphic looks to be shredding, those white spoke things are ugly as hell and is that rust on the chain?  Your seriously over-estimating the value.

As a prospective buyer, my first thought when I look at a bike, and I buy and sell pretty frequently, is: "how much money am i going to have to put into this thing right away?"   OK, so yours needs at least a tire, sprocket, chain and that seat would have to go too.  So I'm immediately adding $350 onto your asking price for the cost of what I have to put into the bike after I buy it.  That makes your $2600 asking price now $2950.  No 2006 250f is worth $2950.

Ya, no offence but it's priced to high.  

Up here in Ontario Canada it would be worth probably about 2200 (can$) right now.

If i were to buy it....at the viewing i would notice bald back tire, goofy seat, worn chain/sprocket,  mangled back fender etc etc and i would probably find more things wrong with it in person. Ie, bearings fork seals etc b/c apparently you don't keep up with your maintenance.  Agian, no offence it's just priced way to high and its the end of the season so its no wonder it wont sell.  I've been in the same boat?.

Have you tried kijiji?  Things will sell faster on there and its free.

Good luck with your sale and....

PS. :loweryourprice:) 

Suspension work means nothing. Unless the new rider is the same weight you are, they will have to redo the work.

I never understood the argument that a bike is more desirable because it was trail ridden. When you take an MX bike on tight technical trails, you are more likely to abuse the clutch and overheat it than you would riding it on an MX track. 

• Like 1

Interesting thread here, but I have to fully agree with most as well.  Several ~2006 YZ250F bikes in SW Idaho for sale right now for ~$2k, but they are in excellent shape.  This one needs about $400 put into it just to bring it back to "excellent" condition visually.  (tires, chain, sprocket, frame guards, etc.)  Who knows how much longer the engine/trans will last if someone rides this thing like it was meant to be ridden.  $1,600-1,800 listing, expect offers at $1,500 at best.  Sorry but this is likely the worst time of year to sell too.  Good luck! 

3 hours ago, motocrotts said:

I haven't had a problem selling any yz's.

it depends on where you live, but even then...  mx bikes are never going to sell as well as trail bikes, for whatever reason there are just more mx bikes for sale, and more often. at least where i live and for as long as i've been rotating bikes every 2-3 years since 2000.  last summer i sold a 140hr 2014 ktm 350xcf for $6800 in 1 day, and i had 5-6 people in line for it if the first guy fell through, now I have a completely pimped out low hour 17 yz250f that i doubt i could get $6500 for it if i tried to sell it.

it depends on where you live, but even then...  mx bikes are never going to sell as well as trail bikes, for whatever reason there are just more mx bikes for sale, and more often. at least where i live and for as long as i've been rotating bikes every 2-3 years since 2000.  last summer i sold a 140hr 2014 ktm 350xcf for $6800 in 1 day, and i had 5-6 people in line for it if the first guy fell through, now I have a completely pimped out low hour 17 yz250f that i doubt i could get $6500 for it if i tried to sell it.

That's because the buyer market is flooded with orange koolaid consumers. It boggles the mind why someone would pay 10k plus for a ktm much less 6800 for a 3 yr old one that has maybe 60hrs left on the motor. Not saying yours wasn't in great shape but their usually worn out at 200hrs.

10 minutes ago, motocrotts said:

That's because the buyer market is flooded with orange koolaid consumers. It boggles the mind why someone would pay 10k plus for a ktm much less 6800 for a 3 yr old one that has maybe 60hrs left on the motor. Not saying yours wasn't in great shape but their usually worn out at 200hrs.

yes, the market is flooded with noobs entering the sport, and most do not want to hit the tracks, they head into the woods..  trail bikes are just more universal, and the big 4 trail bikes are just starting to make a comeback.   but worn out is very different than approaching the time where a rebuild is necessary.  plus 350f's don't not get ridden nearly as hard as 250f's do, 40 hours on a 250f moto bike is considered a lot.  

A. Don't make a big long write up about the other day when you were riding or how many aftermarket parts you have and when and why you got them.

B. Don't max the amount of pictures you can post... it looks desperate.

C. Make sure the bike is clean clean clean. That's the biggest thing.

D. Bikes are hard to sell in the summer let alone winter.

3 hours ago, Hudson Charlton said:

A. Don't make a big long write up about the other day when you were riding or how many aftermarket parts you have and when and why you got them.

B. Don't max the amount of pictures you can post... it looks desperate.

C. Make sure the bike is clean clean clean. That's the biggest thing.

D. Bikes are hard to sell in the summer let alone winter.

I agree with everything you said except "B".  I've found pics sell and when I'm looking for used, I want to see everything you can show me with out wasting my time going to look at it.  YMMV.

• Like 3