Air Filter Oil Market size

Hi, kind of a moto industry question but didn't find a more specific category to ask the question so I thought it might get the most views here.  I was wondering if anybody has some information or people to talk to about the size and the air filter oil business specifically for dirtbikes.  I had some ideas on a new recipe but trying to gauge just how big the market for air filter oil is today?  Anybody can see the brands that are out there today, but what is specific volume of these oils that are sold per year.  Anybody has some inside knowledge they could share?  Can I make an approximation based on the number of dirtbikes produced per year by the major manufacturers in Europe and Japan?

Some clean their air filters, some do not. Some waste a lot of oil when they re-oil, some do not. Many different suppliers of air filter oil out there. You compete, you get a bite of the pie. You get a full slice if there is something about your product that makes it sell. If you have something special, make it and give to some racers and have them spread the word. That is how it works.

you mean that the factory mx teams do not clean filters at all, they just change the used filter for a new pre-oiled filter?  some teams prolly do this, they must go through hundreds of filters a year this way? (certainly if one includes practice riding)

Yup, filters cost just a few dollars wholesale and teams are supplied them by the cases. Cheaper to replace and throw away than to bother to clean and deal with. A team could go though a dozen a day easy. Time is money.

1 minute ago, William1 said:

Yup, filters cost just a few dollars wholesale and teams are supplied them by the cases. Cheaper to replace and throw away than to bother to clean and deal with. A team could go though a dozen a day easy. Time is money.

Wow, and i just paid $40 canadian for a twin air the other day!

29 minutes ago, Slicing-Air said:

Wow, and i just paid $40 canadian for a twin air the other day!

On the retail side, think about what goes into the sale. Design, testing, marketing, support of teams that advertise, shipping to distributors, catalogs, sales ect.

Actual wholesale cost is small for most stuff when mass produced. The percentage of product given to pro teams is a tiny fraction. Though manufacturers write off the retail value, so there is a lot of tax offset.

47 minutes ago, William1 said:

Yup, filters cost just a few dollars wholesale and teams are supplied them by the cases. Cheaper to replace and throw away than to bother to clean and deal with. A team could go though a dozen a day easy. Time is money.

I can't believe they are thrown out, they are property of twin air or other sponsor, but it would be too costly to have them shipped back to the factory for analysis...some buddy of the racer is getting some great lightly used schwag for sure....but this means tough competition since any air filter oil manufacturer then needs to also have a line of foam air filters as well, which obviously adds a level of industrial complexity, or try to team up with a foam company...still I'm trying to find out what the volume of filter oil sold might be for a given period of time, certainly higher in summer, lower in winter....greater on west coast than east coast....highest in California?  idk anybody got more ideas

Just now, mattydavis said:

I can't believe they are thrown out, they are property of twin air or other sponsor, but it would be too costly to have them shipped back to the factory for analysis...some buddy of the racer is getting some great lightly used schwag for sure....but this means tough competition since any air filter oil manufacturer then needs to also have a line of foam air filters as well, which obviously adds a level of industrial complexity, or try to team up with a foam company...still I'm trying to find out what the volume of filter oil sold might be for a given period of time, certainly higher in summer, lower in winter....greater on west coast than east coast....highest in California?  idk anybody got more ideas

Nothing to analyze. Dirty. Cleaning takes time. They do not have that luxury at the track. Team stuff is regularly disposed of. Guys who are friends of teams often get to 'dumpster dive'  getting van loads of tires, airfilters, cables with just a moto or two on them.

Make your oil, promote it. If it is good, easy to work with, maybe someone will be interested in it. Do not first try and see if the market is big enough to support your idea. You first have to find out iof the market is interested in your product. Then you scale. Making in a garage to having a refinery crank it out. Most race parts started (and some stayed) as a guy in a garage. Fancy websites and all sorts of corporate window dressing yet still a one man shop. Call James Dean Jetting, you might get his wife or James on the phone.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now