Loosening front sprocket nut

How the heck do I loosen it? I'm practically jumping on the breaker bar and it still won't come loose. I've only got cheap air tools and they don't have enough torque.

I'm assuming it's not reverse thread...

IMG_1510117298.071384.jpg

How the heck do I loosen it? I'm practically jumping on the breaker bar and it still won't come loose. I've only got cheap air tools and they don't have enough torque.

I'm assuming it's not reverse thread...
IMG_1510117298.071384.thumb.jpg.c269ba58ef5c8170f07c391d60242b88.jpg

I use a 1/2” 120v impact wrench from Lowe’s. CCW to remove. You may be able to rent from auto parts store if you don’t have a 1/2” impact.

I use a 1/2” 120v impact wrench from Lowe’s. CCW to remove. You may be able to rent from auto parts store if you don’t have a 1/2” impact.

K thanks. I've got a harbor freight 1/2" impact and it doesn't even come close. my guess is I've put 500 ft lbs of torque on the breaker bar. The nice 1/2" impacts do about 1000. I'm either gonna buy one or take it to a shop.

And by the way-I put it in 5th gear and put in a sledge hammer in between the swing arm and the spoke/nipple of the rear wheel. Broke the nipple in half and the wooden handle of the sledge... this is like the 10th time I've learned that using the right tool is always worth it
IMG_1510287284.967414.jpg
  • Like 1

A friend had a giant ass air powered rattler which he used on trucks and it didn't work on my kx450f. So I bought a $90 Ryobi 14v battery impact 1/2" wrench and it came off easy. Had that tool for years now. Love it.

• Like 1

A friend had a giant ass air powered rattler which he used on trucks and it didn't work on my kx450f. So I bought a $90 Ryobi 14v battery impact 1/2" wrench and it came off easy. Had that tool for years now. Love it.

Cool thanks for the info. Yeah I definitely need a good impact. I bought the sprocket holder tool and used the breaker bar. Bent the aluminum holder. Wish it was made of steel...
IMG_1586.jpg

On 11/17/2017 at 3:59 AM, rippedbx said:

I bought the sprocket holder tool and used the breaker bar.

If you go with the breaker bar method, then put an alum rod (1" thick") through your rear sprocket with rags to protect your swingarm. The rod might bend and the breaker bar needs to be over 6ft long, but it should work.  Or get a cheap rattle wrench. They're amazing.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:15 PM, rippedbx said:

K thanks. I've got a harbor freight 1/2" impact and it doesn't even come close. my guess is I've put 500 ft lbs of torque on the breaker bar. The nice 1/2" impacts do about 1000. I'm either gonna buy one or take it to a shop.

And by the way-I put it in 5th gear and put in a sledge hammer in between the swing arm and the spoke/nipple of the rear wheel. Broke the nipple in half and the wooden handle of the sledge... this is like the 10th time I've learned that using the right tool is always worth it
IMG_1510287284.967414.jpg

Looks like you have a nice big paddle tire. Put a bar on the swing arm and let the paddle hook onto it. Either rip a paddle off (not likely) or break the nut loose. 

Good possibility its froze up with Loctite, and with the kind of force you are using, you are stressing breaking the bolt off in the shaft.

1000 ft-lbs?  That's insane.  You certain the socket is a good fit and hard metal?  For an impact socket to work it need to drive very direct, and you need some mass to resist the sprocket rotating.  Don't use any extension shaft on the socket. Use a quality 6 sided socket on a 3/8" drive rattler. Leave the chain on. Put the motor in 1st gear. I think my rattler is rated to 270 Nm (200 ft/lbs). Need to be careful using it. It's more than enough for my needs (counter shafts, primary gears, and clutch hubs)

yeah somethings not right about that nut being so tight, try using some heat on the nut to break any adhesive that may have been placed on the threads and also to expand the nut. follow up by removing with impact.

Thanks for all the replies. I've sprayed the nut with penetrating oil a couple times. I've tried heating it up but worried about melting the oring chain. I ended up driving an hour to where my mechanic buddy works. He just bought a Milwaukee 1/2" battery powered impact and he said it hits really hard. It came off after about 2 seconds. He said with all the force I put on it before and it didn't move he was worried the shaft was going to break. But it's good to go now! Just replaced the seal behind the sprocket since It was exposed and probably heated up too much from the torch anyways. Happy that the shaft didn't break!

On 28/11/2017 at 3:49 PM, rippedbx said:

He just bought a Milwaukee 1/2" battery powered impact and he said it hits really hard. It came off after about 2 seconds.

Good stuff.  They work great.  I wrote 3/8th but meant 1/2".  With the correct 6 sided socket.