DRZ400SM Adventure Build

Hey guys,

I have a DRZ400 SM and wish to convert it to a dual sport adventure bike

Do you have any suggestions?

I was thinking of changing the wheels to 18" & 21" and getting Michelin T63s as a start

It already has the 3x3 mod and 434 mod and a LeoVince X3 Exhaust

Do you think the USD forks are good enough to leave as is or does it need the standard forks to perform well for adventure riding?

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated as I am new to this :thumbsup:

DRZ400SM.jpg

• Like 1

How adventuresome do you plan on getting?
Just doing forest service roads, or are you going to get into some real rough off-road sections?

• Like 2

Thanks for your comments, Well the idea is to do sections of  the TET (Trans Euro Trail) bit by bit over the years which is kind of like saying the TAT you've got in the USA.

I wouldn't say the off road riding is too technical as some people do it on the large adventure bikes (1200's & 990's etc)

What do you think? Also what mods would you guys add?  Cheeeers:ride:

3 hours ago, Dirk Scerri said:

Thanks for your comments, Well the idea is to do sections of  the TET (Trans Euro Trail) bit by bit over the years which is kind of like saying the TAT you've got in the USA.

I wouldn't say the off road riding is too technical as some people do it on the large adventure bikes (1200's & 990's etc)

What do you think? Also what mods would you guys add?  Cheeeers:ride:

For that TET you will appreciate the 21/18 combo and tires are such a compromise. As much as I like a more knobby tire, I've been leaning more toward the more 50/50 tires, maybe if I ever get stuck somewhere I may go back to more of a knobby.

The suspension is good on the SM, but if you start doing some higher speed rough off-roading your going to want a revalve and spring up grade.

Everyone likes the seat upgrade, love my Seatconcepts saddle from long adv. rides.

Your bike looks well setup, the rest is just adding personal stuff, like how much luggage and stuff you want to carry on your bike.

Gearing is always a conumdrum on these bikes, I don't like the engine screaming if I have to do some hiway cruising, so I gear mine high (16/42) and just put up with the tall first gear. But I usually carry a 14T sprocket with me I case I have to do lots of real tight stuff.

you have an idea what you might use for navigation?

• Like 1

I'd just keep this bike and get a drz400s model. That way you can ride what ever mood your in street or trail. You can never have too many bikes. :ride:

• Like 3

Nice looking bike.

The SM forks would be fine, but for serious ADV type stuff may need a respring/revalve (but then again, they may be just fine).

21/18's are a mandatory.

• Like 2

Thanks guys  Im thinking of going for 21/18s Talon Excel Wheels with Michelin T63s, larger 4 gallon fuel tank, Seat concepts seat,  Tusk racks, and maybe if I feel like spending more a Lynx Fairing from Britannia Composites

That adjustable Lynx fairing would be cool. I like my Parrebellum wind screen, but on the hiway i wish it was a few inches taller and in the trails i wish it was a few lower.
  • Like 1