Racing on the YZ250FX

How many of you are racing on your FX? Here's a go-pro video from a recent J Day B-Senior moto. Enjoy! 

• Like 2

Of course, raced a 2015 250FX in the AMRA series last year.

• Like 1

How many of you are racing on your FX? Here's a go-pro video from a recent J Day B-Senior moto. Enjoy! 

Great vid, good to see all the blue in the woods.

On November 8, 2017 at 3:16 PM, THUMPERRIDER1 said:

Great video! Those deep woods sections must have been hammered for moto II. 

Oh it was complete gnar... a lot of bikes were clogging, bogging and blowing up from the dust... here's the 2nd moto

On 2017-11-19 at 2:31 PM, MidlifeCrisisGuy said:

Don't forget about Josh Toth.  2nd overall at one of the GNCCs this year !

He won the XC2 championship.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By John Kaveney
      Hello I am new to TT so hopefully im posting in the right spot. I have starter problems on my yz250fx. last couple months I had notice that the electric starter has taken more cranks then normal to get started, I thought the valves could be out of spec and that is the problem, yesterday I put a new piston in the bike and checked the valves everything was good, and I took the bike out to break it in the electric start struggled to start the bike all day but manage to do so after holding it down for a bit, now today I could get it to fire at all using the electric start. Note. The bike fires first or second kick with the kickstart and runs great, wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it. Thanks for reading ,John 
    • By John Kaveney
      Hello I am new to TT so hopefully im posting in the right spot. I have starter problems on my yz250fx. last couple months I had notice that the electric starter has taken more cranks then normal to get started, I thought the valves could be out of spec and that is the problem, yesterday I put a new piston in the bike and checked the valves everything was good, and I took the bike out to break it in the electric start struggled to start the bike all day but manage to do so after holding it down for a bit, now today I could get it to fire at all using the electric start. Note. The bike fires first or second kick with the kickstart and runs great, wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it. Thanks for reading ,John 
    • By Desert_DRZ400
      Hello all, I currently have a 2016 drz400s and have done all of the necessary mods to make it perform the best.  I love the capability of a dual sport but I find that I want something a little lighter and more powerful. I do have a truck to haul a dirt bike so no need to ride to the trails, that being said it would be nice to make my next bike street legal if I wanted to (short commutes, no longer then 10 miles with a 50 mph max speed limit, I also have supermoto wheels/tires). 
      I live in AZ, my average pace on the trails is between 15-30 mph.  Never got the drz over 65mph on the trails.  My rides last between 1 and 4 hours usually max 60 miles.  I'm looking at the yz250fx or the yz450fx.  I am 6'1 and 220 before riding gear.  I've read through the forums and watched all of the reviews on Youtube about both bikes, however I am still looking for answers.  How is the fuel range on the yz450fx?  I believe the yz250fx varies between 50 and 70 miles depending on how hard you ride.  Me being a bigger guy will I want the yz450fx?  Coming from a drz400 which mine has around 35 hp after my mods will the yz250fx feel the same power wise or will I want something more? 
      I keep hearing the 450 will be a handful but I'm wondering if that is something I can get used to and learn.. plus with the mapping can I temporarily detune it?  The only thing that tires me out on the drz is having to pick up up if I drop it.  Both the yz250fx and 450fx are considerably lighter.  Also what is the life of the engine?  I have 1500 miles on the drz, not sure what that is in hours.  How many miles/ hours for oil changes?  Based on the information above I need help deciding which one.  Thanks! 

• By Perattzi
      Greetings TT! Hoping to glean some knowledge from you YZ owners. This is by far the nicest vehicle of any type I have ever owned and absolutely love the bike. My experience is with street bikes and 2 stroke dirt bikes. That said, I now have about 30-35 hours on the bike. Around 5 of those hours are beginner level XC race hours, the rest is a mix of slow single track and faster double track. I realize its past time to do the necessary top end checks. It's just so damn fun to ride I kept putting it off lol. Oil change was after 1st hour, then 3rd hour and since then every 2nd ride-around 8 hours with filter every other oil change. Screen is cleaned every time, and I always crack the bleeder screw til oil runs out. I have until now been using Yamalube conventional oil that the dealer recommended. I am switching to the Yamalube synth from this point on. Air filter is cleaned oiled after every ride, I use No toil green stuff and swap between the stock filter and a funnel web filter if its going to be dry and dusty. 
      SO, just now checking the valve clearances. Clearances are good. However, I pulled the cams out anyway for a look. I'll share my findings and appreciate any insight 
      First off the exhaust lifter or bucket that corresponds with the decomp is showing lots of wear. New part has been ordered ( I also realize that my clearance on that valve should be rechecked when new part arrives), but I am curious if this type of wear is normal for such low hours? When checking by hand the weight/spring/pin all move fine and easily retracts. So I am assuming the pin is not stuck out when running. When I first got the bike it was fairly hard to start sometimes and before my first race would not stay running at all. Another racer with same your WR advised me to turn the idle up. Did the trick. I'm not used to a modern 4 stroke-or 4 stroke dirt bikes in general other than my DRZ for that matter, so I did not realize how high the idle needs to be. Starts no problem and runs great always since.
      Perhaps it took a beating early on from a low idle/ frequent cranking to start? Also, I tend to ride lots of technical trails that require lugging/clutching, perhaps the revs being low from the lugging is not overcoming decomp spring? Finally, more recently I have to doing single track trails that include gnarly engine off descents, and sometime I will just click it back into gear and pop the clutch to restart. Perhaps I'm not spinning the motor over as quickly as the starter will and the decomp pin is beating on the lifter til the motor restarts? My decomp pin has rings or ridges that look like tooling marks, but on the pics of say hot cams, their decomp pin is quite rounded and polished smooth. Thoughts on this?
      I have not yet measured anything with a mic or plastigauge, just visual checks. More wear than I was expecting, but again I'm used to prehistoric 2 strokes.
      So here's some pics: 

• By Bryan Bosch
      X‑FACTOR FOR X‑COUNTRY
      With electric start, an 18‑inch wheel, a wide ratio 6‑speed gear box, the YZ250FX is a powerfully‑built, lightweight machine engineered for cross‑country victory.

Innovative Hare Scramble/GNCC® Engine Design
      Based on the championship-winning YZ250F™, featuring Yamaha’s revolutionary rearward slanted, liquid-cooled, DOHC 4-stroke power plant with forward-positioned straight downdraft symmetrical intake, and with an added sixth gear and wide ratio transmission, the YZ250FX™ is an “out-of-the-box” Hare Scrambles/GNCC® competition machine.
      High-Spec Engine
      The engine is based on the YZ250F, and includes all the same race-winning features: an updated cylinder head, lightweight forged, two-ring, flat-top piston; a shorter, more durable piston pin with diamond like carbon (DLC) coating; a revised piston oil jet, and advanced connecting rod, crankshaft, and counterbalancer designs. Together, the result is improved peak power, power delivery and overall durability.
      6-Speed Transmission
      A wide-ratio 6-speed transmission is used to insure the right gear is available for the wide variety of terrain found in cross-country racing.
      Tuned Chassis
      Nearly the same bilateral beam frame that is found on the championship winning YZ250F is used on the YZ250FX. The forged section at the swingarm pivot and engine mounting brackets help develop nimble lightweight feeling in the tight technical terrain while still providing stability in fast sections.
      Advanced Suspension
      Industry-leading, fully adjustable KYB® spring-type fork with speed sensitive damping features revised valving for improved suspension feel and balance. The linkage type rear suspension features a KYB rear shock with settings optimized for cross country racing.
      Cross Country Features
      With the electric starting system, a 2-gallon fuel tank, rugged plastic skid plate, 18-inch rear wheel and XC racing tires, the YZ250FX is ready to win right out of the box.