• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

VIDEO RIDING TIP!   11/15/2017

How to ride rutted corners with Garrahan Off-Road Training

Bryan Bosch

Hope that all Optima batteries don't suck!

13 posts in this topic

In May, I needed a new battery for my Jeep TJ and I got sucked into the "Optima batteries are the best of the best!" talk on-line; people seem to swear by them. Got in my Jeep today and nothing... Pull out the volt meter, 4.6v. No lights left on and about the only creature comfort is a stereo that has no power when the key is in the off position and when removed.

Now, I know that nothing is perfect, but I'll admit, I'm a little sour on the brand today. When I called them about warranty (purchased it via Amazon), the lady on the phone was very indifferent, never once apologized on behalf of the brand for the failure, and made quick work of telling me that's it's not their responsibility, but Amazon's. And, even ok with that, just the indifferent attitude that is lingering. Pretty sure that caring about your brand is free.

Anyone else had an Optima battery (red top) discharge for no apparent reason? I've never had this happen with any brand of battery in my 30+ years of driving. I thought about a possible draw, but again, no real electronic accessories and with LED headlights, trust me, in the light of day, you can't miss they are on. 

So, not sure if I just got a lemon, but I just had higher hopes for such a premium battery. I certainly expected a better attitude from the mfr. 1st world problems... ;)

I've only had 1 optima battery, and it was a yellow top and I bought it in 2003ish.  But I took that truck to a lot of bonfires and left the radio running for hours and it was still going strong 3 years later when I sold the truck.

Never owned one but I read a very thorough comparison of several major brands in a mag once and they all came out about the same performance wise. No reason to spend the big bucks for an Optima was the consensus.

1 person likes this

Did you have the battery charged and then tested? A bad/leaky diode in the alternator can cause the battery to drain overnight. 

1 person likes this

I fell for the hype once and bought a red top optima and it sucked. Was in an 81 Chevy pickup super short life span wouldn't keep a charge had a brand new bigger alternator. Bought a wal mart everstart max I think and it was great for a few years.

Optima batteries were excellent before the manufacturing left the USA for mexico. I install high end batteries at my shop all the time. The only high end battery worth the money is odyssey. It's ridiculous the stuff you can do to them and they just keep on going. 

They cost about 30% more than a comparable optima, but they are 100% worth it. Still made in the USA too

On 11/9/2017 at 10:54 PM, RickP said:

Did you have the battery charged and then tested? A bad/leaky diode in the alternator can cause the battery to drain overnight. 

I tested for a draw and found that I have a .15A draw or 150mA. My understanding is that it shouldn't be more than 50Ma? So, on the smaller side, something that could draw the battery down if not driven a lot. And, i don't... It's not a daily driver. So, off to pull fuses one by one to see if affects the draw. Thx for the suggestion. Never encountered this before.

My ‘06 Silverado still has the original battery.  A small solar panel keeps it fully charged.  It’s just now showing signs of weakness.  

13 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

My ‘06 Silverado still has the original battery.  A small solar panel keeps it fully charged.  It’s just now showing signs of weakness.  

That might be a record. I bet if you sent a nice letter to the PR dept of the mfg telling them how impressed you are they would send you a voucher for a new one.  Don't ask for one, just pump them up and see what happens.

1 person likes this

I didn’t add the Shipwrecks twenty-dollar solar panel until the battery was at least five years old.  I think twenty years is not out of the question.  You just need to keep the battery from sulphating.  

I also think the panel I have could be a bit larger but if you go too big, it can fry the battery without a charge controller. 

10 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Where is it mounted?

In the back window.  Truck is usually parked with back window facing South.  Panel just plugs into the cigar lighter.

I went through 2 yellow tops in almost 3 year. Had my Costco battery in my Toyota for 10 years before it went bad.