Will cleaned Parts rust?

I disassembled my engine and cleaned the parts with a degreaser. I touched them with my fingers before putting them into ziploc baggies. Unfortunately I will probably not get around to rebuilding the engine for a few more months.

I know from experience touching a gun or table saw and not wiping it down afterwards can lead to rust ... will leaving these parts in baggies in the garage over winter, or even in the basement, cause them to rust since I cleaned them and then touched them?

No they should not. They are most likely made of aluminium and aluminum does not rust. If they are made out of steel thats a different story

you will be fine just make sure you make sure the bags are sealed if anything does rust you can always remove the rust before you put it back together 

Thank you. As far as the cases are concerned, I’ve not cleaned them yet. I will replace main bearings but not the others, can I wash those bearings with mineral spirits, etc, and they still be fine?

Aluminum will not, if a magnet sticks it will definitely rust in time. Any oil of any kind is better than none

If you have room, use a large plastic container w/lid. Put all your hard parts (steel) in the container & fill with oil.

I save all those "do not eat" packets from vitamins and a lot of work items we get. Put one in each bag and forget about it. I have them in my gun cabinet, toolboxes etc..

• Like 1

I save all those "do not eat" packets from vitamins and a lot of work items we get. Put one in each bag and forget about it. I have them in my gun cabinet, toolboxes etc..

You can buy these in bulk from McMaster Carr. They don't last forever though. Only way long term is to keep the steel bits in oil.