Why don't new bikes come sprung and valved for YOU?

This has always got me. Considering it is quite a simple process, why can't bike manufacturers provide your new bike with the springs and valving to suit your style? You always have the options of a tarty exhaust, sump guard etc. But sorting your suspension out is out of the question? Just imagine if one brand started the trend, it would be a revolution in customisability and customer services, and considering the costs rise every day for bikes that become cheaper to produce every day, it would be very welcome...

Semi-rant over ?

• Like 1

I'm pretty lucky I guess...I weigh 165lbs (no gear) and my manual for my 16 crf250R says it's set up for a 170lb rider. Just a couple clicks softer and it feels pretty good.

I'm sure if I took it to a proper suspension guy they would do a better job and I would realize how much better it could be.

In a high level indirect way the bike manufactures do consider riding style. That's why there are bikes purpose built MX, Enduro, EC, Trail, etc with sizes 50cc up to 500+cc

However I do understand your point. Most of the time the stock valving/springs just won't work for most peeps.

So when dropping $12K on that new KTM 450 it would be great if you could choose the setup. First pick the style SX, XC, EXC, etc and engine size. Then add the suspension components in fast food like categories such as Small 120-140lbs, Medium 140-160lbs, Large 160-200lbs, or XL >+ 200lbs.

Personally I am 6'1" and 240+ lbs with gear and have to supersize the suspension on every bike I own. Having to eat another $500 or more on suspension for a new bike are the days when I wish I was 5'9" and 160lbs =)

• Like 2

BETA...  this revolution comes with a premium, that many won't pay, many can't articulate what they need versus want, etc. It would be a timing issue more than likely and can only imagine the complaints if things aren't what the buyer thinks they should be. The last line has me thourghly confused.

Let's see.

You know enough about your riding style and ability that you know exactly what you want in the suspension. Being the bike is custom configured, you must pre-pay in full (premium price for custom build) to place the order. It goes to the factory. When your build turn comes, your bike is built. Special shipping must be done to ensure it arrives at your dealer. Figure it will take at least six months. So if the new bikes hit the show room in October you might get yours in May. Or... You could buy a bike at the dealer and have your local suspension guru who knows what you like have it ready in a week.

Cars used to be custom built all the time. That stopped that, though you can still get 'specials' but it costs you both in money and wait time.

• Like 2

I am heavy so bikes are never even close to right for me.

They always need heavier springs. 

I would like to order a new bike set up for me, and would gladly pay extra for the factory to send it sprung for my 220 lbs.

Also wish the bars were always available taller by order as well.

They may fit someone only 5'10 and 170 lbs okay.

But at 6'2 and 220 lbs they never fit me. 

On the other end of the spectrum is my wife and daughter who need things lowered and softer springs because they are much to small for stock set up. 

• Like 1

I wonder what it would take to offer 2 versions of a bike one for guys 180 lbs +/- 15 lbs and one for 210 +/- 15 lbs . You would probably cover 75% of riders that way. Every bike I buy needs to be sprung heavier for me. Or at least let you exchange you're springs within 30 days for the proper weight. 

1 minute ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

I wonder what it would take to offer 2 versions of a bike one for guys 180 lbs +/- 15 lbs and one for 210 +/- 15 lbs . You would probably cover 75% of riders that way. Every bike I buy needs to be sprung heavier for me. Or at least let you exchange you're springs within 30 days for the proper weight. 

A lot. Doubling dealer stock. Doubling left overs sprung wrong. Are you willing to pay $2K more for a 'custom bike'?

Most of these bikes are race bikes, designed for guys that race. They are typically 5'9" tall and weigh about 160. Most of the buyers are tall and over weight (me included, though I am really short and devastatingly handsome)

1 minute ago, David C said:

BYOB..order what you need, new bike shows up at dealer. Heck they even put your name on it.
Why no one has ever come up with this before is beyond me, should be a gold mine for after market companys.

It was called 'Service Honda'. Out of business due to unable to make expenses and low demand.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, William1 said:

A lot. Doubling dealer stock. Doubling left overs sprung wrong. Are you willing to pay $2K more for a 'custom bike'?

Most of these bikes are race bikes, designed for guys that race. They are typically 5'9" tall and weigh about 160. Most of the buyers are tall and over weight (me included, though I am really short and devastatingly handsome)

Really 2k more for different springs? I guess they would have a lot of leftover stock. They could offer a heavy-duty  package and charge $200 more . Then you could drive your special edition heavy duty 450 around and feel special. 

The program Beta has is the next best thing. It's pretty cool you can order a bike with the options you want.

Not just springs/valves/oil. It is labor as well. You have to place an order. That order has to go to the OEM purchasing. Springs/parts for YOU need to be ordered and stored, tracked. When build time comes, someone has to find YOUR springs and other special parts and ensure they get onto YOUR bike. Then YOUR bike must be specially shipped to ensure it gets to YOUR dealer. That costs a lot of time and money.

Beta is a boutique manufacturer. They are also very expensive.

2 hours ago, moto_psycho said:

This has always got me. Considering it is quite a simple process, why can't bike manufacturers provide your new bike with the springs and valving to suit your style? You always have the options of a tarty exhaust, sump guard etc. But sorting your suspension out is out of the question? Just imagine if one brand started the trend, it would be a revolution in customisability and customer services, and considering the costs rise every day for bikes that become cheaper to produce every day, it would be very welcome...

Semi-rant over ?

Why the rant? You can get anything but it cost money. You don't have to get it straight from the manufacturer too. It's like cars.. guys that want to bling out their cars with big buck wheels and stereos and whatever take their cars from the showroom to a specialized car company. 

The same goes with dirt bikes. Stillwell will build any bike you want. Slavens will too.   Boano racing in italy will build the trickest race bike for you and pit for you in certain races. I think Beta is the only one that has a BYOB build your own bike program to custom build your bike. I don't know if TM or sherco does that. I don't think so.. but there's nothing to rant about.. you just pay more for customized services.. You can probably do it cheaper yourself. That's why lots don't do it. It's a specialized service. It depends on what you are buying too. Some things might be cheaper for Beta to do but of course the cool thing is you just get the bike and ride it with way less personal setup.

https://betausa.com/content/welcome-byob

I'd like this... This has just about everything. I wouldn't want an auto clutch though.. and the trials tire.. just personal preference...but everything else is over the top awesome dream bike status.

https://slavensracing.com/video/project-bike-videos/

http://www.betaboano.com/ita/isde_2016.asp

slide_2017_1.jpg

http://www.betaboano.com/ita/Beta Boano RR Six Days Limited France.pdf

I just rode my bike first and then decided how far I wanted to go with the suspension and setup. I got my bike faster and it's a little cheaper. 

If I'd do it again..Through Beta BYOB.. I'd get a race edition 300 rr.. have it revalved and choose the suspension.. and that's about it. I'd put on the guards myself and different tires.. oh I'd have them put a kick start kit on.. I'd do the guards when I got the bike. I could have them do everything too but I have certain wants for the guards that I'm not sure Beta has in their Beta program.. oh.. I might order stainless steel spokes for the wheels.. and maybe a wider rear rim.. 2.5".. 

Maybe for some just buying the bike and going to stillwell or whatever company might be good enough. Actually lots of dealers just will set up the bike for you. You just order the parts and pay for them to install.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, William1 said:

Not just springs/valves/oil. It is labor as well. You have to place an order. That order has to go to the OEM purchasing. Springs/parts for YOU need to be ordered and stored, tracked. When build time comes, someone has to find YOUR springs and other special parts and ensure they get onto YOUR bike. Then YOUR bike must be specially shipped to ensure it gets to YOUR dealer. That costs a lot of time and money.

Beta is a boutique manufacturer. They are also very expensive.

Wow, William.  You sure are a Donnie-downer.  $2K to grab spring A instead of spring B?  They already stock them.  Fork "D" has 2 less shims in it.  Even if they told you to a fork oil change, People could deal with that.  If they sell enough, an individual dealer could order some of each.  I think you're exaggerating the situation, really.

23 minutes ago, motoxvet said:

Wow, William.  You sure are a Donnie-downer.  $2K to grab spring A instead of spring B?  They already stock them.  Fork "D" has 2 less shims in it.  Even if they told you to a fork oil change, People could deal with that.  If they sell enough, an individual dealer could order some of each.  I think you're exaggerating the situation, really.

I used to work for Yamaha and then several auto manufacturers as a FSM. It is not as simple as grabbing a different spring. It is stocking perhaps 20 or more different springs. It is tracking a individual order from start to finish. Ask your dealer how many of a particular model they sell, especially dirt bikes. A huge dealer might sell a dozen a year. Many dealers only stock one of each model. They get the rest from the distributor. No dealer is going to stock any bike if it has to be a custom order.

If it is so easy and cheap to do, simply do it yourself. If you can change your springs and do your own valving, it would still be cheaper (and faster) than a custom order. Even a suspension shop rarely stocks all the parts for your job. They get your forks and shock, orders the parts, build it to spec. The only difference is that you now have a set of springs probably no one wants. But the expense of making a custom bike is not there. Think about what it would take just in paper work, let alone parts stocking on a 200,000 bike run for a year. Henry Ford used to sell you a car in any color you wanted as long as it was black.

• Like 1

I fully admit I skipped a lot of the replies BUT IMO things like suspension and for that matter handle bars/control setup and even tire pressure comes as basic setup from factory but suspension is going to come for the average weight rider and I'm not even sure Beta has spring weight options with their BYOB program.

As posted luckily I'm about 170ish LB with all my gear on and fit in to the average weight for a OEM CRF250R suspension BUT I still had to set both sags and play with adjusters etc to get the suspension set-up to where I reasonably like it for where I ride. Otherwise ya I'd be dropping $1000 plus for a full suspension rework if I could not sort it out on my own :(

Then ya I spent time getting my controls set-up and I'm constantly playing with PSI in my tires depending on tire and time of year an conditions ?

• Like 2