Preferences for dirt rider elbow/forearm & knee/shin guards?

Even after decades of dirt riding, I’m still not satisfied with the guards I’m using.  What are your preferred brands/models/sources?

Elbow/forearm guards:  I’m looking for ones that protect both “upstream” and “downstream” from the elbow, probably secured by straps instead of “sleeves”, and allowing good ventilation between the guards and skin.

Knee/shin guards:  I’m looking for guards that extend “upstream” a few inches from the knee to protect the lower thigh (my current guards stop very close to the knee).  I’m also looking for good ventilation between guard and skin, and securing/adjustability using straps.  (For now I’ve decided against knee BRACES because of what I understand about problems with fit, movement restriction and even causes of injury using knee braces.)

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

ps.  I ride about 95% off road, mainly using roads to connect trails.  My trail riding is mostly under 30mph, of the slower and a bit technical kind.

Edited by BSAVictor

I like it simple.  For forearm/elbow protection I use mtn. bike style ones from TLD:

troy-lee-designs-elbow-lite-guards15var.

For the knees I have Thor's most inexpensive ones and they actually do the job, I have a review in the reviews section somewhere.  $14, they have held up for over a year and taken some good hits:

jpeg

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Elbows: Paintball elbow pads.  Not as protective as the MX stuff (no hard-plastic), but enough for most tip-overs/gravel-slides.  Thin/comfortable enough to wear all day, which I can't say for any of the MX elbows i've tried.

DSC_5877-L.jpg

Knees ... i'm still figuring out.  Bought a pair of Leatt Dual Axis last year, didn't care for them (cheaply built, lightweight but I call into question their durability/protection in a crash).  Don't offer as much coverage as the Thor Force's i've been wearing.

Most of last year on the sled I was wearing hockey pads, but those won't fit in moto boots (fit great in my sled boots though). 

IMG_20170711_191652776-L.jpg

(the shitty red ones I used for remodeling/tiling my kitchen floor...)

8 minutes ago, SnowMule said:

Elbows: Paintball elbow pads.  Not as protective as the MX stuff (no hard-plastic), but enough for most tip-overs/gravel-slides.  Thin/comfortable enough to wear all day, which I can't say for any of the MX elbows i've tried.

That's why I like those TLD ones.  Soft padding on a sleeve, don't even know you have them on.

14 hours ago, DaveCR said:

I really like my Alpinestars Reflex elbow guards. They have been discontinued, but are still available on ebay.

Can't recommend a great knee guard as I haven't found one myself.

Knee protection doesn't have to be complicated or expensive, unless you are going for support, too. ?

I don't wear any elbow guards as it seemed that if they were tight enough to stay in place they would cause me arm pump, and if I left them looser they would migrate down my arms. For knee guards I use these https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2229/7566/A.R.C.-Pro-Flex-Knee-Shin-Guards. They're cheap enough and they do the job. I've had the same pair for about 6-7 years now and the elastic is giving out so I'll be ordering a new pair soon.

CJ, I think the operative word here is, great. I have found good guards, but none that I can whole heartedly recommend. For example:

EVS SC06 - comfortable, not the greatest for gripping the bike, too hot

Thor Force - very uncomfortable (the joints of the guard didn't match up with the motion of my knee) however, my riding buddie likes his

Fox Pivot (circa 2002) - still wearing these; kinda hot, OK for gripping the bike, no protection above the knee.

ARC Pro Flex - very bulky, painful when gripping the bike