RM250 vs YZ250?

Ive been searching for a 04/05+ YZ250 with no luck in my area. If i find any they want 3k plus and anything under that is "ragged out". I searched up RM250 and found some nice bikes for less than 3k with A LOT of mods done to them. My question is what year is the RM250 "best"? And how do they compare to the YZ250? I know Suzuki's last 250 2t was 08' but whats the parts availability like with other models as well?

I ride and love Yamaha.. on a yz250x now and a had an 05’ yz250 before that..   

YZ250s are expensive here too and sell fast when they come up..  and for good reason, they are a do everything bike...

That said we just went through this with my brother and just couldn’t find a well priced good shape YZ250 anywhere.    He ended up picking up a nice 03 KX250 and off-road modded it out.   It’s turned out to very very good single track/ off-road bike..  Super smooth engine, feels a lot like my 250X actually.  I try to meet up with him to ride, just so I can rip on his KX...  lol  So don’t rule out the KX, best year engines seem to be 03-04..  Good aftermarket for them, almost as good as the YZ enjoys.

As far a RM250 goes they are good turning bikes and I would hit up the Zuk 2 stroke section for an answer on best year.. I would think anything newer than 2000 would be good.  Have a friend that’s an AA rider that raced enduro on an 03’ RM for a couple years with no complaints.  Aftermarket may be a little lacking but not sure.  Also not sure if their is a WR tranny gear swap available for the RMs..

Good deals on cr250s can be had at times and have heard rumors that guys love them as well....

2004-2006 RM 250s won bike of the year back in the day.  They were known for copying the Yamaha YZ motor, but also making it better.   in 2004 they used the upgraded showa suspension to get that perfect combination.  I recently bought a 2004 RM 250 and absolutely love it, It is the fastest 250 bike I’ve ever had. And I have had over 12 of them in the past 20 years. For motocross you couldn’t get any better. Nothing turns or feels like the Suzuki in my opinion. However the 2004 power band hits Too hard for trails. But there are some mods you can do to lessen that hit and make it more tractable. I recently installed three header washers to reduce the hit, And after messing with the power valve setting it seemed to make about a 10 to 15% difference.  Not bad for only $4.50.   I also purchased a read cage spacer and an 11 ounce flywheel weight but havent installed them yet.     I heard this will make the majority difference I’m looking for. But, I heard porting is the best option, but I don’t want to spend $300.   As for the suspension, I ride really  Rocky technical trails in Missouri, and found that if I turn the clickers 3/4 of the way out on both compression and rebound, they did quite well considering it’s got motocross suspension valving. Supposedly 2005 through 2006  Suzukis had different Porting and  heavier flywheels that made the power band smoother and more tractable. I was able to purchase my RM for about $600 less than what the YZ 250s we’re going for, and mine was mint with some great aftermarket parts, and the YZs I was seeing were pretty much ratted out.    Happy hunting .

Raced yz250s 06+ but would borrow my buddies 03 rm250 sometimes and really liked it . Think if you get one set up its a great platform can't go wrong either or

I rode a 14 yz250 two days ago.  It had tbt suspension and a heavier flywheel.  It was pretty much what I hope I can get my rm250 to feel like.  I love yzs too :-)

I actually own both bikes. 2016 YZ250X and a 2006 RM250.
The YZ is the better off road bike with more after market options available.
However, the RM is hands down more "fun". It is what a jumpy, Rev-monster 2 stroke should be. It barks and rips while wearing me out. It snorts fire and looks for lines to carve. It'll twitch it's head if you're timid.

Mark

RC rides the Suzuki!  Did you see how he beat Ronnie M on it the other day?  :goofy:  

2004-2006 RM 250s won bike of the year back in the day.  They were known for copying the Yamaha YZ motor, but also making it better.   in 2004 they used the upgraded showa suspension to get that perfect combination.  I recently bought a 2004 RM 250 and absolutely love it, It is the fastest 250 bike I’ve ever had. And I have had over 12 of them in the past 20 years. For motocross you couldn’t get any better. Nothing turns or feels like the Suzuki in my opinion. However the 2004 power band hits Too hard for trails. But there are some mods you can do to lessen that hit and make it more tractable. I recently installed three header washers to reduce the hit, And after messing with the power valve setting it seemed to make about a 10 to 15% difference.  Not bad for only $4.50.   I also purchased a read cage spacer and an 11 ounce flywheel weight but havent installed them yet.     I heard this will make the majority difference I’m looking for. But, I heard porting is the best option, but I don’t want to spend $300.   As for the suspension, I ride really  Rocky technical trails in Missouri, and found that if I turn the clickers 3/4 of the way out on both compression and rebound, they did quite well considering it’s got motocross suspension valving. Supposedly 2005 through 2006  Suzukis had different Porting and  heavier flywheels that made the power band smoother and more tractable. I was able to purchase my RM for about $600 less than what the YZ 250s we’re going for, and mine was mint with some great aftermarket parts, and the YZs I was seeing were pretty much ratted out.    Happy hunting .

Same. I just want a yz250 because of the amount of mods and support they have for them since they are literally the same bike till 2013-14. Someone wanted to trade me a 2004 yz250 for my 06 yz250f but his suspension was setup for a 125 rider and i weight 200 lbs. thats like 3-500 in suspension in which i dont have so i didnt trade. Now im wanting to sell it and its valued at 2200 stock, but im asking 2500 because the motor is extremely strong and its got alot done to it.
I actually own both bikes. 2016 YZ250X and a 2006 RM250.
The YZ is the better off road bike with more after market options available.
However, the RM is hands down more "fun". It is what a jumpy, Rev-monster 2 stroke should be. It barks and rips while wearing me out. It snorts fire and looks for lines to carve. It'll twitch it's head if you're timid.

Mark

If i rode track i would get the rm250. But i ride woods and like 1 track very rarely so the yz would be best for me. Im having no luck finding anyone to buy my 06 which sucks.

If I were to get a RM it would be the '08 so it is as new as possible.  

That being said we have a 2015 YZ250.  

If I were to get a RM it would be the '08 so it is as new as possible.  

That being said we have a 2015 YZ250.  

True. Sucks the only new companies making 2 strokes is yamaha, ktm, husky, berg. I would love to see a 2018 cr, rm, or kx

I'm hoping the other Japanese companies get back to selling 2 stroke 250s again.  Have u guys heard about the possible new CR500s that are rumored to be coming out?  If not, google it.  Sounds almost too good to be true.  However, I once had a 85 CR 500 25 years ago, and I sold it after riding it only twice.  Scary fast!

I have a 2006 RM250 and absolutely love it. Corners like a dream, motor pulls hard and smooth. Parts availability is not as good as a YZ but I’ve been able to find everything I need. Best years are 03-08. Good luck man

On 11/13/2017 at 6:12 PM, RidingWithStyle said:

Same. I just want a yz250 because of the amount of mods and support they have for them since they are literally the same bike till 2013-14. Someone wanted to trade me a 2004 yz250 for my 06 yz250f but his suspension was setup for a 125 rider and i weight 200 lbs. thats like 3-500 in suspension in which i dont have so i didnt trade. Now im wanting to sell it and its valued at 2200 stock, but im asking 2500 because the motor is extremely strong and its got alot done to it.

swap the front forks with him. it would take an hour or two.  you can find a whole rear shock for less than 100$. a rear spring probably even cheaper used. your sss front forks are worth double than his old style forks.  from 2004 up there 48mm so its an easy swap 2003 and older are 46mm, you would need new triple clamps axle, axle spacers. etc. do a search in the yz 2 stroke forum theres tons of threads on guys swapping to sss front forks.