Trade 2012 ktm200xcw for 2012 honda crf250r?

I have a 2012 ktm200xcw with 180+ hours. Runs good and has all the goodies. Ive found a 2012 honda crf250r with 110+ hours thats in good shape and runs good as well. I dont know its history though as far as rebuilds but its clean and starts easy, runs great, no smoke. Would this be a good trade? I like both bikes just kinda tired of 2 strokes. 

I've currently mover from 2 stroke to 4 stroke and have found the maintenance a lot more work compared to the 2 stroke but its worth it. Sounds like it would be a good trade considering ur bike has done a lot more hours. A good thing to ask would be if the valves have ever been adjusted or replace. If not I would do that at 150 hours. I would also ask about engine work if u are able to.

Your bike is worth more and will sell faster than a six year old 250F....

4 hours ago, nchsa219 said:

I have a 2012 ktm200xcw with 180+ hours. Runs good and has all the goodies. Ive found a 2012 honda crf250r with 110+ hours thats in good shape and runs good as well. I dont know its history though as far as rebuilds but its clean and starts easy, runs great, no smoke. Would this be a good trade? I like both bikes just kinda tired of 2 strokes. 

Keep the 200. Want more action? Get a 250 or 300 2 stroke.

No shame in wanting to try a 4 stroke. I enjoy both 2 strokes and 4 strokes.  But if you are riding trails exclusively don't get a motocross bike.  You'll be really disappointed going from something like a 200 XC-W to a 4 stroke motocross bike in the woods.  They have a tall first gear, light flywheels, can't lug up hills, will overheat in the slow technical stuff, etc.  

Get something like a KTM 250/350 XCF-W or even a Yamaha WR250F.  

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

The 200 will hold more value, longer. It will cost less to run over its lifetime, and can be tuned to either be a screamer or a lugger without much work. A bike easily comfortable in many many situations. I don't think I could say the same about the Honda. 

That being said, four strokes are very cool as well, and I'd like to have one simply for the different type of ride. But, I just don't think this particular trade is worth it. Doc made very good suggestions for a four stroke. 

Thanks for all the replys. I honestly believe my ktm is worth more than the honda and it is cheaper to maintain but it just seems like its lacking the torque im wanting. I had a 2012 rmz250 before the ktm 200 and really liked it but the thought of it blowing up is a big reason i sold it. (First 4 stroke ive owned). Ive only rode carburated hondas and did like how they rode just never fuel injected ones but im thinking they would only be better. I race hare scrambles and like to ride mx tracks whenever i get the chance. I actually enjoy mx tracks alot but im just kinda getting tired of always popping the clutch on the 200. Its either shift constantly or kill the clutch in 4th gear to keep it spinning. The lugging is whats really gettin to me. 3rd gear revs out way to fast for my liking too. My fingers hurt after ive rode the 200 from working the clutch constantly. Its also not the smoothest ride, kinda violent when im riding the edge of the powerband all the time and it throws my balance off when it finally hits often. I feel like the 4 stroke would be smoother and fatigue me less even though its heavier. If it handled just the slightest bit better than the rmz i had then i would probably go for the trade because every honda ive rode felt perfect to me ergonomically. I love the 200 but for racing 250B hare scrambles and mx tracks the 4 stroke is becoming very appealing to me. 

Ive actually been looking for a ktm250xcf and they are hard to come by around me in stock, low hour condition. Theres one i really like but the phone number to the cl post is disconnected...   For me the honda is next best in line.

Hondas are the slowest and least aggressive bike some call them a beginners bike.

There are so many things you can do to your 200 to alter its performance, all cheap, or free.  Head mod, gearing, PV adjustment. Your 200 is a sought after bike, I have had several, and still have one.  If you want to change bikes, sell the 200 and buy the bike you want.  You are getting hosed in this trade.

Another guy in the KTM 2 stroke forum just sold his 200 for over 3 grand in a week.  That was I believe an 08.  You should be able to get 4+ for yours if it is in good condition.  

In my area your ktm 200 would be worth 2x as much as the Honda. No way in hell I’d ever do that deal. The ktm 200 is an awesome bike that you can easily sell

Why downgrade to a honda

I am the guy Poldies is reffering to I think. Yes the 200 is a FANTASTIC bike and can be made to a lot of different things. Those bikes sell super quick. Especially because everyone likes to buy those bikes and keep them, add them to their arsenal, or whatever. I learned a lot from my 200. A 250f with over a 100 hours with no work done on it is a no go, especially if you feel like hes a fast guy. And a fast guy on a 250f, hes riding the bike hard and making it scream as he soars through the air or around the track.