New fmf exhaust causing blinker problems

So i recently picked up an fmf powerbomb for the WR and my bike has managed to melt my blinker then proceed to blow it off my bike. would it melt it because there's no spark arrestor in the exhaust? Anyone had any problems similar to this? i've never experienced this and it's a really stupid problem.

Carb or fuel injection? If it's carburetor did you change your jetting? That would cause your bike to run hot.

I just threw A JD needle in for now until the weekend comes when I have more time. Would the fact it's still lean be the main culprit? 

Totally normal using a FMF muffler. Use flush mount rear turn signals. Problem solved. 

9 hours ago, Amity said:

So i recently picked up an fmf powerbomb for the WR and my bike has managed to melt my blinker then proceed to blow it off my bike. would it melt it because there's no spark arrestor in the exhaust? Anyone had any problems similar to this? i've never experienced this and it's a really stupid problem.

I made this heat shield from this: https://thumpertalk.com/shop/Moose-Racing-Heat-Shield-1-1-2in-x-3ft-Strip-401-1300-p4165138.html

Works flawlessly...

The shield is a good idea, but I would still check that your not running to lean. The new needle will work instead of rejetting the carb if it's shorter than the stock needle.

Jetting will not 'solve' the problem. It is simply because the exhaust gases (they can be as high as 1200 degrees leaving the head!) are aimed at the light. The stock can faced a different direction. Move the light or try a heat shield.

Keep in mind, my can has a passive catalyst, so it runs way hotter than your typical MX can. I used an IR gun on my side panel near the catalyst and if memory serves me correctly it was 25-30 degrees cooler. Before you could put your hand on the plastic, but wouldn't hold it there. Now you can. I swear by that Moose shielding. Forms to shapes well and sticks really well.

20170515_213127[1].jpg

Awesome info guys, appreciate it!

9 hours ago, stevethe said:

Totally normal using a FMF muffler. Use flush mount rear turn signals. Problem solved. 

Totally normal, I have a collection of burned turn-signal art from high speed runs in Baja! Use flush mounts for many reasons!

 

18 hours ago, Amity said:

So i recently picked up an fmf powerbomb for the WR and my bike has managed to melt my blinker then proceed to blow it off my bike. would it melt it because there's no spark arrestor in the exhaust? Anyone had any problems similar to this? i've never experienced this and it's a really stupid problem.

I suspect that you are using the wrong grade of blinker fluid - maybe some of that imitation Chinese crap? If you refill your blinkers properly, with attention to the thermocoupler assembly, there should be no problem as you describe it. Top them up at midnight with a leveler so that the fluid just touches the brim of each blinker.

Anything else I can help you with?

Flush mounts on all the bikes. 🤗

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_4236.JPG

1 minute ago, Byron Allen Black said:

I suspect that you are using the wrong grade of blinker fluid - maybe some of that imitation Chinese crap? If you refill your blinkers properly, with attention to the thermocoupler assembly, there should be no problem as you describe it. Top them up at midnight with a leveler so that the fluid just touches the brim of each blinker.

Anything else I can help you with?

Also, it occurs to me that since the problem seems to originate with the exhaust system, you might want to get your muffler bearings aligned. That's something you should never attempt - leave it to an authorized dealer.

23 minutes ago, Byron Allen Black said:

Also, it occurs to me that since the problem seems to originate with the exhaust system, you might want to get your muffler bearings aligned. That's something you should never attempt - leave it to an authorized dealer.

Yeah top notch tips 10/10 would recommend the above

In australia they have to be 13 centimetres apart for them to be road legal so it's hard to find a pair that wont cause me problems with the fmf or the boys in blue unfortunately 

46 minutes ago, LJRAT said:

Totally normal, I have a collection of burned turn-signal art from high speed runs in Baja! Use flush mounts for many reasons!

 

These are some of the best. Installed them on a buddy's 701 when he knocked his off... DMP Fuse Flush Mount. I also like how the front tip has a light in it that can be seen from the side. A little added visibility never hurts.

0000-DMP-Fuse---Flush-Mount-LED-Turn-Signal.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now