Aircooled vw

56 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

I saw that thing on Craig's a week or two ago I think.  Small world.

Must have been a different bug, this was my girlfriends dads car he built 30 years ago before she was born. His wife would only let him fix it if it was broken so he's giving it to me so I can put all the money in it. I think he's more excited then I am hahaha

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vanillagurilla said:

Any aircooled vw guys here? Just picked up a 69 baja and need some good advice on a carb setup.

7017.jpeg

Nice, a billion years ago, in a land not very far away, I owned one of them boogers! They are lots of fun. As for carbon-nators, I found a Delorien worked very well. I don't know all the specs, model number other than it was a Delorien, which I'm sure is speeeleded wrong. Keep in mind the fun police are watching you.

1 hour ago, irme42day said:

Nice, a billion years ago, in a land not very far away, I owned one of them boogers! They are lots of fun. As for carbon-nators, I found a Delorien worked very well. I don't know all the specs, model number other than it was a Delorien, which I'm sure is speeeleded wrong. Keep in mind the fun police are watching you.

Well I can't make everyone happy, if there can be a random pics thread I can ask couple questions lol. I think you mean dellorto carbs. Hard to come by now and when you do there expensive. If I had the money i would go with dual webber 40s but that's  $1200, even dual empi 40s is $600. A single empi 44 kit I can get this month for $300. If I was building a new motor it would be a different story but I think this has a stock cam and just needs the heads gone through, new carb and a distributor. It runs as is but the power is lacking for an 1835.

Edited by Vanillagurilla

17 minutes ago, Vanillagurilla said:

Well I can't make everyone happy, if there can be a random pics thread I can ask couple questions lol. I think you mean dellorto carbs. Hard to come by now and when you do there expensive. If I had the money i would go with dual webber 40s but that's  $1200, even dual empi 40s is $600. A single empi 44 kit I can get this month for $300. If I was building a new motor it would be a different story but I think this has a stock cam and just needs the heads gone through, new carb and a distributor. It runs as is but the power is lacking for an 1835.

Dellorto, OK I was wrong but it's the first time in my life, well unless you ask either one of my ex-wives.

I do remember when someone took the dellorto, without asking, and I replaced with a Webber setup it lost half it's pazaz.

Edited by irme42day

Go with a single 4 barrel barb with larger secondaries, they work great that way, less fawking with tuning duals and better mileage due to the smaller primaries, and when you want the power open the secondaries by mashing the throttle!

Edited by Speed-Freek
  • Like 1

40 yeas ago I think I had a 4 barrel Weber on mine with the stock manifolds. 64 Baja body, bus steering column, 1835 73 Super Beetle motor, custom oil cooler, full interior roll cage,  square back wide trans axle with a beef a dif,  30 Gal tank instead of the back seat and a bad to the bone paint job, mural and stripes.

My first real job was at an aircooled VW shop . Rebuilt around 50ish motors while working there .  Keep telling myself I am going to pick up another . 

69 was a great year , first for independent rear axle and dual port heads .

This was my 69 with 1776 dual 44 idf' s,  120 cam , $1500 heads with enormous valves , full port and polish.  Rancho built close ratio trans , super diff and welded 3rd & 4th .  

Damn it was fast at low 14 second quarter mile times .    The van next to it was my Dads and it was fast too with 2200cc's and 48 IDF's , would lift the front tires off the ground . 

My first set of dual carbs were Kadron single throats and added a lot of power over the stock single carb with dual port manifolds .  Easy to tune and easy on the wallet .  Or you could go dual 40's from Weber or Delorto . With a carb sync tool it's pretty easy to balance them . 

FB_IMG_1505458515067.jpg.33a4fbe463e6ca8e6fbb12ce70663733.jpg

Edited by still2smokin
  • Like 2

Maybe try a "buggy" forum. Or go to DRZ section, there is a 'Random pics' thread..

4 hours ago, Vanillagurilla said:

The heads are cheap to replace but if it really is a 1835 the heads will need to be cut for that .  

Have you adjusted the valves yet ?  Needs to be done often and really affects how well they run .  Seems odd that an 1835 doesn't already have dual carbs as that's really choking it off.  Even on a stock motor dual carbs add quite a bit of punch .   Maybe eBay a used dual weber/del setup and rebuild them .  Back in the day Dellortos were cheap and Webers were king . 

Edited by still2smokin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Speed-Freek said:

Go with a single 4 barrel barb with larger secondaries, they work great that way, less fawking with tuning duals and better mileage due to the smaller primaries, and when you want the power open the secondaries by mashing the throttle!

I actually got better mileage when going from stock motor and carb to adding dual single 40's .  Weird,  but think it was around 25mpgs. 

12 hours ago, Vanillagurilla said:

Must have been a different bug, this was my girlfriends dads car he built 30 years ago before she was born. His wife would only let him fix it if it was broken so he's giving it to me so I can put all the money in it. I think he's more excited then I am hahaha

Ask him if he put it on Craigs for a minute...  it suuuuuuure looks familiar.  LOL

4 hours ago, still2smokin said:

My first real job was at an aircooled VW shop . Rebuilt around 50ish motors while working there .  Keep telling myself I am going to pick up another . 

69 was a great year , first for independent rear axle and dual port heads .

This was my 69 with 1776 dual 44 idf' s,  120 cam , $1500 heads with enormous valves , full port and polish.  Rancho built close ratio trans , super diff and welded 3rd & 4th .  

Damn it was fast at low 14 second quarter mile times .    The van next to it was my Dads and it was fast too with 2200cc's and 48 IDF's , would lift the front tires off the ground . 

My first set of dual carbs were Kadron single throats and added a lot of power over the stock single carb with dual port manifolds .  Easy to tune and easy on the wallet .  Or you could go dual 40's from Weber or Delorto . With a carb sync tool it's pretty easy to balance them . 

FB_IMG_1505458515067.jpg.33a4fbe463e6ca8e6fbb12ce70663733.jpg

Wish my motor looked that clean lol. 

3 hours ago, still2smokin said:

The heads are cheap to replace but if it really is a 1835 the heads will need to be cut for that .  

Have you adjusted the valves yet ?  Needs to be done often and really affects how well they run .  Seems odd that an 1835 doesn't already have dual carbs as that's really choking it off.  Even on a stock motor dual carbs add quite a bit of punch .   Maybe eBay a used dual weber/del setup and rebuild them .  Back in the day Dellortos were cheap and Webers were king . 

It is an 1835, 92x69 I believe. I haven't done anything to the motor yet. It's still sitting at my father in law's house, I have been building shelfs in my garage to make room for it too come home. We have to replace a hub bearing in the rear before I can move it which sucks because my old lady's cousin is cutting apart his bug and giving us all his stuff. Trailing arms with dual shock mounts that go up into the cage, front beam, disc brakes, all 5 lug and possibly a trans. If I do get the trans then I will probly tear down the motor completely, put a cam in it and port the heads or get some cb 44s depending on cash at the time. I did come across a thanksgiving sale for a dual empi 40 kit for around $459 with no tax or shipping so I think I'll do that.

9 minutes ago, Vanillagurilla said:

It is an 1835, 92x69 I believe. I haven't done anything to the motor yet. It's still sitting at my father in law's house, I have been building shelfs in my garage to make room for it too come home. We have to replace a hub bearing in the rear before I can move it which sucks because my old lady's cousin is cutting apart his bug and giving us all his stuff. Trailing arms with dual shock mounts that go up into the cage, front beam, disc brakes, all 5 lug and possibly a trans. If I do get the trans then I will probly tear down the motor completely, put a cam in it and port the heads or get some cb 44s depending on cash at the time. I did come across a thanksgiving sale for a dual empi 40 kit for around $459 with no tax or shipping so I think I'll do that.

Dude...  VWs are 2 strokes...  they don't have cams.  :facepalm:

30 minutes ago, Vanillagurilla said:

Think those empi carbs are the same as what where called Kadrons back in the day .   If you tear apart the cases be sure to get it align bored and thrust cut while it's apart and maybe add some case savers for the head studs.  

Shit , back when I was a teenager I used to be able to pick up a complete motor off of the ground and put it on the engine stand by myself . Pretty sure I would need an amber lamps if I tried it now . 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, still2smokin said:

Think those empi carbs are the same as what where called Kadrons back in the day .   If you tear apart the cases be sure to get it align bored and thrust cut while it's apart and maybe add some case savers for the head studs.  

Shit , back when I was a teenager I used to be able to pick up a complete motor off of the ground and put it on the engine stand by myself . Pretty sure I would need an amber lamps if I tried it now . 

From what I gather there webber copies, all the parts are supposed to be interchangeable. I'm hoping the dual carbs and fresh heads help with the power because it's pretty sluggish for an 1835.

• Like 2