2017 250fx disc guard

they collect mud and other crap, try to get along without it. i ride/race woods/hs/enduro, and get roosted all the time with everything but the kitchen sink, i've never had an issue with a dinged/bent front rotor.    rear is another story, that thing gets dragged on rocks and other crap all the time.  TMD makes a nice lightweight one if you are in the market.   

cheers...

• Like 1

I'm running the Acerbis X brake front rotor guard. I'm very pleased with it. I have them on two race bikes, one for two years and have never had any problem with it "collecting mud and crap".

I bent the front rotor on my 18 X the first weekend out on it. Of course, the rotor guard hadn't arrived yet. I was so pissed.

• Like 1

Plastic will have little to no protection. After a bent rotor during a race i figured sturdy rotor gaurds will pay for itself in time.

IMG_20170809_195931_201.jpg

• Like 1

Plastic guard 100x over metal, if you bend that metal guard at all good luck getting outta the woods. A plastic one with flex and will never get caught up in the rotor. They don't collect mud as the back side is completely open, and they protect the rotor from dings and dents. For $30 you can't go wrong. I drill a few small holes in mine to let it cool down better as I'm hard on the brakes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, indy rider said:

I'm running the Acerbis X brake front rotor guard. I'm very pleased with it. I have them on two race bikes, one for two years and have never had any problem with it "collecting mud and crap".

I bent the front rotor on my 18 X the first weekend out on it. Of course, the rotor guard hadn't arrived yet. I was so pissed.

how did you manage to bend you front rotor that you feel a disk guard would've protected it? they are plastic, they protect against rock dings, not being slammed against rocks.

Edited by talkingrain

7 hours ago, talkingrain said:

how did you manage to bend you front rotor that you feel a disk guard would've protected it? they are plastic, they protect against rock dings, not being slammed against rocks.

Hard Enduro rock trails. Didn't have the rotor guard yet. :banghead:

It was only like $40 and they look good too. I like the plastic better than the aluminum versions, they flex but don't bend and are much lighter. I had a plastic Cyrca on a previous bike. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it was bigger, more flimsy and it warped over time.

Edited by indy rider

8 hours ago, talkingrain said:

The plastic absorbs a lot of energy from the impact.

The EE billet guard is the way to go if you want to protect the rotor. I ran the acerbis and although it looks nice did nothing to keep my rotor from bending when hitting a rock at speed.

people believe what they want to justify purchases, it's decent protection if you toss your bike down a lot but not really for anything else. i've never felt they did anything, and i've not bent a front rotor in 40+ years of riding, but i don't crash much anymore either.  i have friends that are newer'ish to riding that throw their bikes 10-20 times a ride on rocks/roots/etc and just thrash their bikes.  regardless of anything else, some people just like them for added protection and styling, while others just need more armor if they are going down a lot.

Just an update on what I did.......I ordered the Acerbis one. It was not listed for the 250fx but for the 250f. I looke dup parts numbers and the wheel spacer for the disc side was the same. Mounted up perfect. Just wanted to let you know in case anyone ran into the same issue for their 250fx. thanks again.