CRF150R forks - Tripple clamps for 230

So I ran into that problem where i purchased a XR250 steering stem to put into a CR80/CRF150R lower triple clamp to mount on the 230F but it was not a press fit. 

I drove over to a guy that's about an hour from me that makes triple clamps and sells them on Ebay - RSW Racing. He has a good sized 3 axis CNC milling machine in a small shop.

So, he changed the program on the CRF150R lower triple clamp so that it would accept the XR250 stem and have a press fit. He did it for $175 for the lower clamp. He built an

extra one. So if someone wants one of these.... it's available. Super nice guy to deal with. The upper clamp that has two pinch bolts (much beefier) with bar mounts is $150... he's adding a key holder to that too... 

So..... if interested these are available... 

AAA Triple.jpeg

Is the XR250 stem the same length as the CRF230F? 

Yes is my understanding.... it's a popular mod for the lower CRF150R triple clamp when putting the 150R forks on the CRF230F.

I'll know more tomorrow when it arrives though. I'll test fit it on the steering head and report back. 

1 hour ago, PT564 said:

Yes is my understanding.... it's a popular mod for the lower CRF150R triple clamp when putting the 150R forks on the CRF230F.

I'll know more tomorrow when it arrives though. I'll test fit it on the steering head and report back. 

The XR250 stem doesn't actually work for converting the front end of the 230F to a more modern USD MX fork from SHOWA or KYB.  It does apparently work for some Husky forks, can't remember the model or year though. 

Have other folks use the XR250 stem to mount CR80/85 CRF150R forks on a 230F?  Was your stem just unique or damaged somehow?

The XR250 stem is often used in the CR80/CRF150R lower tripple clamp to mount the USD forks from those models on the CRF230. Some end up being press fits... mine was not. Thus the modifed hole size in the one RSW made for me. 

The only thing I would add to the lower clamp would be to extend the fork clamping section down below the clamp so when you push the forks 1/4 to 3/8” down into the upper triple clamp, then you don’t run out of clamping area on the fork tube taper.  The forks need extending for tire clearance.  This is what I noticed with the cr85 lower.

I used the cr85 stem and I think it was machined .250” to make the stem effectively longer.   It might be more accurate at .200”.  

That’s good news about the key holder.  

Edited by Baja Rambler
On 11/9/2017 at 3:49 PM, PT564 said:

The XR250 stem is often used in the CR80/CRF150R lower tripple clamp to mount the USD forks from those models on the CRF230. Some end up being press fits... mine was not. Thus the modifed hole size in the one RSW made for me. 

Baja guy - I had this exact discussion with him! It's actually the other reason why I drove over there.... I think he can make that happen for sure with no additional cost. Also, the upper triple clamp is much beefier... much longer as it has two pinch bolts.. 

See pic of top clamp below from him vs the stock CRF150F.CR80 top clamp... you can certainly push the fork tubes down a bit and have a lot more clamping area. 

Top clamps.JPG

Edited by PT564

Very cool, PT.  Yes, the upper is great.  To be clear, I was thinking the same downward extension on the lower triple clamp. 

Also, I was hoping to make custom handguards to mount to the upper triple clamp like I made for my XR, since the cr85 triple has only a single bolt and it’s on the side.  

And yes, the stem was a bitch to press out of the cr85 lower.  Our buddy needed a rosebud torch in a twenty ton press to get it to release.  I think he did five of them.  There was also some lathe work on the stem.

post-334269-0-95136200-1449868426_thumb.jpgpost-334269-0-99438600-1449868389_thumb.jpg

And one more thing, it would be nice to have some bosses left on the triples for installing a custom mount for headlight.  I know a lot of people convert to street legal.  On my XR, I had to space the whole heavy headlight assembly forward an inch to make room for the oil cooler and the stock mount was funky.  

Edited by Baja Rambler

This expensive vibration damping system looks awesome and is similar to what some older bikes had.  BTR said no way he would pay $300 for an upper triple clamp

http://www.rg3suspension.com/tripleclamp.htm

Another thing to consider is the Scotts damper mounting. The lower, the better, maybe?  And where do you mount the gps unit? 

Is there no end to the design of these?

This is BTRs setup:

DAD8F24E-D9E4-4EC1-9CFA-8F642C7050F9.jpeg

Edited by Baja Rambler

Steering stop added to 230 with FCAW process, wet rag and bearing race left in steering head to control distortion. 

BEB258B5-C2E5-4604-AEE5-A7CE035EB0DF.jpeg

Steering stop added to 230 with FCAW process, wet rag and bearing race left in steering head to control distortion. 

BEB258B5-C2E5-4604-AEE5-A7CE035EB0DF.jpeg.02b8446f2da79ef874fc3a39aa55f857.jpeg

Some space age heat sink stuff going on here!

So got the lower today... it extends down in the clamping area more than the stock on.. by .41 inches... ~. So it hangs further down... thus, no problem sliding down the top of the fork tube 3/16 down from flush in the top clamp. He also made the fender mounts flush... so the fender is up a little higher. The measure meant you see is how much further down towards the front wheel the clamping area goes vs. stock. 

Top of the second picture is towards the wheel as the clamp is upside down in the photo.... thus, the extra clamping area you see is going down towards the front wheel.... not up towards the top clamp. 

Clamp - measured.JPG

clamp not measured.JPG

Edited by PT564

Wondering if he could make bar clamp rubber mounted like my wr450. 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, Baja Rambler said:

BEB258B5-C2E5-4604-AEE5-A7CE035EB0DF.jpeg

I hope you had that Trophy Truck shop weld it otherwise WE ALL GONNA DIE UP IN HERE!!!!!!!

How cool would it be if he could machine the top clamp to accept a Scott's Damper with no extra adapter needed.