Where to store my registration?

I have a plated 2005 KTM 300 EXC.  This is pretty much a race bike with lights. The seat is bolted on, there is no storage anyplace on it. The bike is used like it was meant to be used. It tumbles around, it goes in the water, it get's ridden in the rain.  I'd like to store the registration someplace  that I can get to it that will not get lost.  At this point I've tried shoving it behind the headlight and other places but it always seems to get lost or wet.  It's an abusive environment.  Does anyone have a solution that worked for them? 

Have an adventure jacket with some pockets in it?  I stash everything in there.

Comes out and goes in my pack when I switch to dirt mode.

IMG_20171018_205242054-L.jpg

IMG_20171018_205257099-L.jpg

I'm not familiar with your model but if it's like my bike, a side panel comes off with without tools. It's just snapped in. It's an 17 FE 350, pretty much the same set up as the KTM panel. I put the registration in a ziplock taped upside down on the airfilter side panel so no water can get in it. If I need to present it to law enforcement, I just pop off the panel, open the ziplock and thats it. 

Do you have a crossbar pad?  If so, just put it in a baggie and roll it up in there.

I made a little panel pop riveted inside a side plate. That made a thin slot, in it is a zip lock with my papers and a $10 bill.

Some who do not have an easy to open side panel put it in a zip lock and then that inside the cross bar pad.

I don't have a crossbar pad, and I want the registration permanently stored on the bike. I had thought of storing it in the side panel but not attaching it to the removable panel.  I like the idea of attaching it to the panel itself.  Taping a zip lock upside down or epoxying some sort of container seems like a winner. 

Went out to take a pic and after pulling off the panel I realized I put the zip lock folded over on the top. Still works but it's a little harder to get out. I used a heavy plastic zip lock and wedged it inbetween the plastic on the bottom. 

I'm glad I took the pic. I rode sweep on a little ride 2 days ago, only 50 miles and saw my air filter needed to be changed. 

IMG_4005.JPG

If your bike is plated, that means you carry your drivers license with you when you ride? Whatever you do with that, stick the registration with it

2 minutes ago, Dmouse said:

If your bike is plated, that means you carry your drivers license with you when you ride? Whatever you do with that, stick the registration with it

I carry it in my wallet, but I don't want my registration in my wallet the 99% of my life when I am not riding the bike. 

39 minutes ago, MotoXImage said:

Went out to take a pic and after pulling off the panel I realized I put the zip lock folded over on the top. Still works but it's a little harder to get out. I used a heavy plastic zip lock and wedged it inbetween the plastic on the bottom. 

I'm glad I took the pic. I rode sweep on a little ride 2 days ago, only 50 miles and saw my air filter needed to be changed. 

Thanks for taking the time to photograph it.  Very generous and helpful.  Problem solved. 

1 minute ago, Adam N. said:

I carry it in my wallet, but I don't want my registration in my wallet the 99% of my life when I am not riding the bike. 

I carry my license and registration both in my wallet, no biggy

I bought a few "Cell phone protective bags", or something like that, on ebay.  They are very thick plastic.  The I used "Snap-Loc" plastic fasteners to put the back behind the headlight/numberplate.  Very durable, and resuseable.

Store inside your helmet. Lots of room to tuck in under foam padding.

I toss mine in a ziplock and tape to side panel.  On my sleds in the past I've used "packing slip" bags that have the stickum on the backside. It's sealed so once you open it's got to be taped but I've never had to open one, following year I peel away the old and tack on a new one somewhere on the bike/sled. I had a huge inventory of leftover bags otherwise likely not cost effective but they are usually lying around most places that ship.

I keep a laminated photo copy of my license and proof of insurance in my fanny pack (which I never ride without).  I recently ran into a DNR office on the trail who was giving out warnings for riding on the wrong trail (two trails side by side), sincde I was on the right trail he didn't stop me. Anyway he told me that , at least for him, the photo copy was fine and he understood not taking the original.

By the way I also ride a plated 300;  so I'm rarely riding around town, mostly on the trail.

This is a very common problem, and like you I do not want to store "another" insurance and registration in my wallet ~ with 3 bikes this would turn my wallet into a George Castanza wallet (see video below).  Normally I just hide my insurance and registration (in a zip lock) along with my wallet in my camel back.

I take clear wide packing tape and laminate both sides sealed tight and then trim about 1/4" oversize. I put mine under the crossbar pad, do the same with my insurance. I like the helmet idea as well.

When I ride my CRF250R I always wear my hydration pack so registration/ORV insurance is always in a zip lock in the pack. Then phone in a zip lock and I don't carry a wallet so cards/cash in the pack.

On my plated DRZ, reg/insurance papers in a zip lock always under the bar pad cover.

Edited by filterx

I scan mine and keep all of them in my phone.  I also do the zip lock bag thing and just toss it in the bottom of the airbox as a backup, it's not like it's a hostile environment where water continuously flows through, unless you're my friend George.  I've been doing it for years without issue

I put my registration and insurance card into one of those waterproof fishing license holders.  Then put Velcro on the license holder and on the inside of the airbox cover.  Waterproof and easy to remove.