Fuel tank problem

does anyone have any tips for when you try to take your radiator shrouds off say a 2011 YZ250f and the round nuts molded into the gas tank is just spinning with the bolt? this happened on my 07 YZ450f and i just ended up buying a new tank just wondering if there is a different method for fixing or reusing this without buying another tank?

That happens to my old RM125 and we used Plasti weld and that held it in pretty good. Sounds like you might be over torquing your shroud bolts if that has happened on two bikes. 

• Like 1

it's a used one that we just purchased for my girlfriends boy so as of now we are just figuring out all the things that the previous owner had done to it..  i would think that epoxy or superglue around the outside of the hold might hold it just enough to get the bolt out if only i could get to the top of the hole without destroying the side shrouds as we were only trying to remove it to put a couple new radiators on there. so i just pulled the whole tank outa there, i just know that this is only his second year of racing and first year on a big bike so i'm sure those shrouds are gonna be having to come off sooner or later for one reason or another this year.  lol..

Edited by jamiehughes

I've had this happen also. The nut insert is brass and the bolt is steel. this will cause corrosion which results in what you have happening. Once you get it free, make sure you put some anti-seize on every bolt.

I ended up having to buy a new tank also.

With a cordless drill, spin the stuck assembly until plastic tank melts. Pull out the stuck assembly.

Repair using JB weld (waterproof version) and new fasteners.

As mentioned, YOU MUST USE ANTI-SIEZE on ANY fastener combo of two un-like metals. The next one you should check is your swingarm axle adjuster. They need re-anti-siezing quite regularly...

• Like 1

On 11/22/2017 at 4:13 PM, THE KRAN said:

as mentioned, YOU MUST USE ANTI-SIEZE on ANY fastener combo of two un-like metals. The next one you should check is your swingarm axle adjuster. They need re-anti-siezing quite regularly...

yep, already did that and installed a set of the "bolt" brand adjusters.  thanks for the info on removing the bolt

• Like 1