Need a Bike

Hello,

well Im in need of a decently powered dual purpose bike.

The wr450f has my eye. Fuel injected. 

Found one on my local craigslist for 6k. Has new knobbies,street tires ,race tuner from yamaha included,new front brake pads as well as new battery. 

6k a good deal or should I negotiate? 

What year - where are you located - how many other wr450f's are for sale?

8 hours ago, TX-SANDMAN said:

What year - where are you located - how many other wr450f's are for sale?

It is a 2012. Im in El Paso. Just one locally. 

Found one on craigslist Phoenix for 4200. But then I need a uhaul ,doesnt have the tires,etc. 

That price is high.  You say it has street tires.  Do you mean it has an extra complete set of wheels and tires?  That's worth $1,000 but the price still sounds high, even for a like new, low hours 2012.  I would offer no more than $5,000 for the one in El Paso.  The key to negotiating is being able to say no when they counter you.  Just tell them to let you know if they change their mind.  

Just what 4Sevens said... To often we "Have to Have it" and many times its not a good deal. You are in the buying seat as long as you are willing to drive for that deal elsewhere or wait to find another machine. See if he will take a lower offer, do your research. $6K is a bit high for a machine almost bike 5-6 years old as compared to the original price unless great condition, low miles and those extras add value to you but what do I know, my last 3 bikes were new off the showroom floor and the previous 2 were vintage/retro collector machines. Now here in Cali having a plate makes the machine worth about $1K more minimum, I am seeing 2016 WR450's new at the dealer for $7049.00 - $7700.00 OTD pricing just to put things in perspective.

Edited by Diamond-Dave
1 hour ago, 4Sevens said:

That price is high.  You say it has street tires.  Do you mean it has an extra complete set of wheels and tires?  That's worth $1,000 but the price still sounds high, even for a like new, low hours 2012.  I would offer no more than $5,000 for the one in El Paso.  The key to negotiating is being able to say no when they counter you.  Just tell them to let you know if they change their mind.  

Hence what I did. He offered to show me the bike SAt. Yea a bit high.

Set of both streets and dirt tires. 

I offered 4500 but he stated no way it ost him 8 k to buiild the bike. 

Im assuming he also means the price of the bike when he says that. lol

1 hour ago, Diamond-Dave said:

Just what 4Sevens said... To often we "Have to Have it" and many times its not a good deal. You are in the buying seat as long as you are willing to drive for that deal elsewhere or wait to find another machine. See if he will take a lower offer, do your research. $6K is a bit high for a machine almost bike 5-6 years old as compared to the original price unless great condition, low miles and those extras add value to you but what do I know, my last 3 bikes were new off the showroom floor and the previous 2 were vintage/retro collector machines. Now here in Cali having a plate makes the machine worth about $1K more minimum, I am seeing 2016 WR450's new at the dealer for $7049.00 - $7700.00 OTD pricing just to put things in perspective.

Yea indeed. I was also thinking about the drz 400sm. Found one new in Phoenix for 5800 plus tax etc. Might go that route. Little less power but still decent. 

Quote

   22 hours ago,  4Sevens said: 

That price is high.  You say it has street tires.  Do you mean it has an extra complete set of wheels and tires?  That's worth $1,000 but the price still sounds high, even for a like new, low hours 2012.  I would offer no more than $5,000 for the one in El Paso.  The key to negotiating is being able to say no when they counter you.  Just tell them to let you know if they change their mind.  

Hence what I did. He offered to show me the bike SAt. Yea a bit high.

Set of both streets and dirt tires. 

I offered 4500 but he stated no way it ost him 8 k to buiild the bike. 

If the bike is mint I would have told you the same thing.  You get what you pay for.

What a person spent on a bike has no bearing on what the bike would sell for used. I've seen many guys try to recoup every penny spent, which is absurd. New tires are not a plus, bald ones are a negative. Any servicing done is expected, otherwise it is neglect.

In my next of the woods, a 2012 WR450F is worth about $4,500. Spare set of wheels adds about $600, full lighting and road legal title, adds another $300. That is for a perfect bike with proof of all servicing and verifiable runtime hours.

On 11/11/2017 at 2:53 PM, William1 said:

What a person spent on a bike has no bearing on what the bike would sell for used. I've seen many guys try to recoup every penny spent, which is absurd. New tires are not a plus, bald ones are a negative. Any servicing done is expected, otherwise it is neglect.

In my next of the woods, a 2012 WR450F is worth about $4,500. Spare set of wheels adds about $600, full lighting and road legal title, adds another $300. That is for a perfect bike with proof of all servicing and verifiable runtime hours.

Exactly.  No one gets what they have in a bike when they sell unless they bought low and did nothing to it and sold it fairly soon after.  As soon as you start modding you are going in the hole and if you buy new you are in the hole as soon as you roll out of the showroom.  The seller in El Paso is living in a fantasy land.  Then again, most are in El Paso.  I lived there for 17 years and got out as soon as I graduated high school.

On 11/13/2017 at 8:49 AM, 4Sevens said:

Exactly.  No one gets what they have in a bike when they sell unless they bought low and did nothing to it and sold it fairly soon after.  As soon as you start modding you are going in the hole and if you buy new you are in the hole as soon as you roll out of the showroom.  The seller in El Paso is living in a fantasy land.  Then again, most are in El Paso.  I lived there for 17 years and got out as soon as I graduated high school.

Yep. True ever so true. I trip out on the people here,and I am from here.

He text me today asking how about 5800. I said no 4500 still. He didnt text back.

I think I am just going to finance something this summer. IDK yet. Thanks for the replies and advice guys.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now