ktm 250xc vs yz250x

Ok im debating on getting a trail 2 stroke. Now i want some opinions on what you guys think of the ktm250xc vs yz250x. Also what are some good years for the ktm? and what would have to be done to make a yz250 into a yz250x?

The yz250x is the best all around dirt bike ever built.  Period.   Track or trails the bike will do everything. The suspension is both soft and takes hits well.  Good luck finding a used one.  

So buy an older ktm 250xc they are nice bikes too.   You never even mentioned your price range. 

• Like 1

Buy the yz if you're racing harescrambles, buy an xcw or Beta if you're trail riding.

Edited by TheLastByte
  • Like 1

The yz250x is the best all around dirt bike ever built.  Period.   Track or trails the bike will do everything. The suspension is both soft and takes hits well.  Good luck finding a used one.  
So buy an older ktm 250xc they are nice bikes too.   You never even mentioned your price range. 

I don't have a price range. If I can save money and buy something used I would rather. What did they do to the forks on the yz250x to make them softer?

On 11/9/2017 at 6:46 PM, johnny125aao said:

Ok im debating on getting a trail 2 stroke. Now i want some opinions on what you guys think of the ktm250xc vs yz250x. Also what are some good years for the ktm? and what would have to be done to make a yz250 into a yz250x?

On the YZ250X Yamaha revalved the KYB SSS suspension for off-road and did a great job btw.   Has a different cylinder, powervalve, CDI, head, 18” rear wheel, and wide ratio tranny.  That’s what is needed to convert a yz250 to the X.  Any suspension shop can revalve the MX variety suspension for off-road...   Myself and many others already had off-road modded yz250s and still bought a new YZ250X as it is that good.   A lot of guys have good luck just putting wr 3-5 gears in and using a 250X CDI and head. 

IMO, The only KTM 250s that would best or equal the performance of the YZ is the 2017 and up models..  Mainly because of suspension issues and handling.  

On the YZ250X Yamaha revalved the KYB SSS suspension for off-road and did a great job btw.   Has a different cylinder, powervalve, CDI, head, 18” rear wheel, and wide ratio tranny.  That’s what is needed to convert a yz250 to the X.  Any suspension shop can revalve the MX variety suspension for off-road...   Myself and many others already had off-road modded yz250s and still bought a new YZ250X as it is that good.   A lot of guys have good luck just putting wr 3-5 gears in and using a 250X CDI and head. 
IMO, The only KTM 250s that would best or equal the performance of the YZ is the 2017 and up models..  Mainly because of suspension issues and handling.  

So if you can convert a yz to a yz 250x Tehran why would you still buy a yz 250x. Can a yz never truly be converted? Or is it just the fact that's is already done and new that makes you choose the x model

If I could go back to all the time and money I have spent converting motocrossers, I would consider either one of them new. Used yzx's rarely show up. 

Yes you can..  In my case, I bought my X for 6800 OTD before tax pus got a $300 blu-crew rebate afterwards.  Then sold my 05 yz250  that was well maintained but had 600+ hrs on it for $3400.  Could I have upgraded to all the X specific parts on the old bike, yes.  Would have cost est. $1800 cash to do it.   But I got a brand new bike with all new parts, frame, tranny, forks, swing arm ect ect.. and had cash on hand to boot after selling the y250.  

I now have almost 200hrs on the 250X and have done no maintenance besides top ends, fork service.  I love it but it too will be upgraded after another 200hrs or so..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nevada Al said:

Yes you can..  In my case, I bought my X for 6800 OTD before tax pus got a $300 blu-crew rebate afterwards.  Then sold my 05 yz250  that was well maintained but had 600+ hrs on it for $3400.  Could I have upgraded to all the X specific parts on the old bike, yes.  Would have cost est. $1800 cash to do it.   But I got a brand new bike with all new parts, frame, tranny, forks, swing arm ect ect.. and had cash on hand to boot after selling the y250.  

I now have almost 200hrs on the 250X and have done no maintenance besides top ends, fork service.  I love it but it too will be upgraded after another 200hrs or so..

New bike minus old = $3100, Less $1800 in upgrades, Less a lot of time and hassle, less all conceivable old parts in the YZ that have have passed their half-lives, making the oldster an ongoing project. More I type, the more I'm thinking new.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ventabular said:

New bike minus old = $3100, Less $1800 in upgrades, Less a lot of time and hassle, less all conceivable old parts in the YZ that have have passed their half-lives, making the oldster an ongoing project. More I type, the more I'm thinking new.

Nice used one in Issaquah WA at the dealer.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcd/d/2016-yamaha-yz250x-m1429/6363347649.html

One advantage of the ktm is the adjustable power valve. You can make th bike fit you from wild to mild. You can have a hard hitting power band or a make it as linear as any 4 stroke.

One advantage of the ktm is the adjustable power valve. You can make th bike fit you from wild to mild. You can have a hard hitting power band or a make it as linear as any 4 stroke.

Is that similar to buying a aftermarket ecu? Or does that not have any adjustability? And what bike do you guys think handles better? I've heard the air forks suck but I'm willing to give them a try unless everyone thinks the Kyb Yamaha is much better.

Have owned both but sold my X to go back to a hydro clutch and estart which IMO makes getting the KTM worth it. That said the X was a great bike and if you don't care about those 2 items I mentioned then you'll love it and save some coin.

• Like 1

One more thing I for you guys. I ride with my girlfriend a lot and she's not very fast. Do the 250 2 strokes foul plugs pretty easy. Cause I have a 125and it seems to foul half way through a day when I ride with her. But it's an 02 cr125. Not sure if any of the new ones have gotten better or if a 250 is better for lugging

One more thing I for you guys. I ride with my girlfriend a lot and she's not very fast. Do the 250 2 strokes foul plugs pretty easy. Cause I have a 125and it seems to foul half way through a day when I ride with her. But it's an 02 cr125. Not sure if any of the new ones have gotten better or if a 250 is better for lugging

Mine does, but that's because I suck at jetting. A properly jetted two stroke should be able to be started and idle until it runs out of gas.
  • Like 2

Here is an example. My old 2005 yz250, I changed the plug 1 time after I got the jetting dialed in. About 60hrs on that plug. Ive never actually fouled a plug in any 2t I’ve owned, ever. All I do is putt around in the woods. If you are fouling plugs and the engine doesn’t have any issues, your jetting is way out.

Ive ridden both.  A lot.  Both were 2013 250 smokers with 18" rear wheels.  Same protaper handlebars. Otherwise both are stock.

KTM has a touch more power everywhere and seems to float over choppy rough stuff incredibly well.  The YZ hooked up better and was better when shit got REALLY REALLY rough. Like wheelying over downed trees at speed. The KTM ass end wanted to hop left and right if you went over sharp boulders or logs.  When it comes to stuff that you can't just "float" over, the yz was way more predictable and stable.  

The KTM was excellent at the tight technical stuff.  The YZ was better at taking the major obstacles and maintaining composure in awkward situations.

Neither bike was bad at anything.  

Pick your favorite color and go ride.  Unless ur a lil puss boy, then u better get the KTM with lectric start.  Or if ur a broke boy, you have to get the YZ because of your financial weakness.  

If ur both broke AND  puss boy like me you better get both..