to clutch or not clutch

i've pretty much always pulled in the clutch to shift up and down on my dirtbikes. But i've stopped using the clutch when shifting up or down, with exceptions of when starting from a standstill or when a trail is gnarly.

The shifting feels positive and is never harsh feeling. I definitely would not do this if it felt like it was damaging anything.

My question, is this ok to do or do you think it will cause premature wear on components? 

2014 xcfw250, using the ktm type synthetic oil.

I can only speak from personal experience. 

All my Honda 2 and 4-strokes, I used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the gear boxes, and other than starts out of the gate, I shifted with no clutch.

Both my 13 and 14 250 SX's also used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the gear boxes, and also shifted with no clutch.

My 17 350SX-F motor and gearbox are the same fluid, and I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 20-50 motor oil, and shift with no clutch.

No gear problems with my Hondas.

My 13 SX has 62 hours with no gear problems and original clutch.

My 14 SX has 220 hours with no gear problems and original clutch.

My 17 350 SX-F has 65 hours with no gear problems and original clutch.

I'm going to lean towards it shouldn't be a problem, but it's your call.

Keep an eye on the magnet and make sure there are no chunks of metal, only the normal grey mush.

All my bikes are Mx hours.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
  • Like 1

As long as you're blipping the throttle between shifts, you're ok. Shifting up or down under load can have unfortunate and expensive consequences...

My son has been racing for 15 years and never had a problem. Hold wide open and bang the gears, it's the only way to get the holeshot. The clutch is only really needed for taking off