GPI Racing Radiators- Are They Good?

And yes i know these are made in china, i heard they are thicker and heavier, and carry a bit more coolant. But are these radiators good quality? do they cool much better? I wanted to ask because my radiator is busted.

Yes,  they are good. Stronger and larger. 

Yes. Very good. Many users here. Often slightly larger and finer fins, and they cool very well (better than OEM). Very inexpensive for what you get. Spend twice as much on Mikimoto if you want name brand and better welds, and they come with braced frames. Still not expensive compared to OEM. I have Mikimotos in the box but have not needed to swap out my GPIs because they work so well.

1 hour ago, LSHD said:

Yes. Very good. Many users here. Often slightly larger and finer fins, and they cool very well (better than OEM). Very inexpensive for what you get. Spend twice as much on Mikimoto if you want name brand and better welds, and they come with braced frames. Still not expensive compared to OEM. I have Mikimotos in the box but have not needed to swap out my GPIs because they work so well.

Alright sounds like i am definitely getting this item!

Ya and IMO from the ones bought, well made and worth the $$$$$.

They fit great on my 05 CRF250R (with a larger 250X tank) and the rads are larger them OEM so added a piece to the bottom of my Devol guards and use zip ties on the lower shroud mounts.

Before the bottom extension of the guards and showing a zip tie

20160229_164518.thumb.jpg.140c95fc4fdb04226e5b17462e49a19c.jpg

20160229_171309.thumb.jpg.50fa6bbc347d3fff10234ec6ee2154af.jpg

Extension of guard

20160322_173823.thumb.jpg.81fed43446d93d32ab7d8dbdbe057a98.jpg

I dont know if id call them stronger by any means, BUT. they definitely fit good, look good, and the price is amazing.   I have bought several sets and will continue to buy them.

 

but stronger than OEM.... I honestly dont think so.

 

rad guards are only $100 anyways.   you can get GPI and rad guards for under $200.    or you can get JUST the right side rad from the stealership for $300....

The thing that turns me off about them is the usually ugly welds.  But, I guess you can't expect an 8 year old kid in China to have mad welding skills.

Meh. These aren't a sema show bike. The welds aren't that bad. I've seen ugly welds hold, and pretty welds break. They're covered in mud most of the time anyways and tbh... We've got a few Hondas and a 17 Yamahas that have some disgusting welds on the frames too right from factory.

You'd be surprised about the 8 year olds though... Those boys got 5 years experience welding!!! They can lay a damn clean bead.

1 hour ago, cdf450 said:

Meh. These aren't a sema show bike. The welds aren't that bad. I've seen ugly welds hold, and pretty welds break. They're covered in mud most of the time anyways and tbh... We've got a few Hondas and a 17 Yamahas that have some disgusting welds on the frames too right from factory.

You'd be surprised about the 8 year olds though... Those boys got 5 years experience welding!!! They can lay a damn clean bead.

Yamaha welds are ATROCIOUS. 

Oh man my gpi rads are taking an ass kicking. Still don’t leak though lol!! The branch that bit me yesterday almost broke my knee!! Bruised my LCL and tried to rip my rad open. Still rode with it like that all day.

IMG_3700.jpg

3 hours ago, cdf450 said:

Oh man my gpi rads are taking an ass kicking. Still don’t leak though lol!! The branch that bit me yesterday almost broke my knee!! Bruised my LCL and tried to rip my rad open. Still rode with it like that all day.

IMG_3700.jpg

Probably not flowing too well, though.

6 hours ago, cdf450 said:

Oh man my gpi rads are taking an ass kicking. Still don’t leak though lol!! The branch that bit me yesterday almost broke my knee!! Bruised my LCL and tried to rip my rad open. Still rode with it like that all day.

IMG_3700.jpg

Ya sounds like you have bigger problems than the rad :(

Out of interest why are you not using guards/braces?

im cheap, and lazy.  usually dont destroy rads like this... but now that im on an enduro 2 stroke im exploring way crazier places, and have progressed a lot so I guess theyre mandatory for me now. it was a 4" diameter branch about 2' long, on a 45, rad height.  I hit it hard.  speared me and lifted the rear end. hurt my knee. bruised/hit my LCL hard in my knee and I had to stay at the hotel for my last day of riding Moab. cant put any weight on my leg at all. :'(

 

going to order another set of GPIs and some rad braces and go from there. oh, and header #3... im surprised I havnt wrecked my cylinder flange yet. thanks god for the trailtech flange brace.

 

flow seems to be fine.. ive got two temp gauges on the bike.trailtech TTO digital gauge and a tusk rad cap. both very close to each other, never went over or close to boiling.

Edited by cdf450

I am impressed they weren't leaking :)

And sounds like your having LOTS of fun in Moab my friend :thumbsup:

 

On 11/14/2017 at 4:04 AM, cdf450 said:

I dont know if id call them stronger by any means, BUT. they definitely fit good, look good, and the price is amazing.   I have bought several sets and will continue to buy them.

 

but stronger than OEM.... I honestly dont think so.

 

rad guards are only $100 anyways.   you can get GPI and rad guards for under $200.    or you can get JUST the right side rad from the stealership for $300....

I put gpi's on the Husky, and removed the guards ( F1 eng) as the gpi side plates are as thick as the gaurds are ( about double the thickness of the stock rads, and much thicker than the ktm ones above). So far they've handled a few landings on 'em without bending, the stock ones with the guards bent easy. Definitely stronger in this case.

They do seem to run cooler too.

Win-win.

Edited by DEATH_INC.

They work but the welds looks like shit!, and its not super quality. But for the money they are good.

I would rather go with used OEM

Edited by skorpan777
43 minutes ago, skorpan777 said:

They work but the welds looks like shit!, and its not super quality. But for the money they are good.

I would rather go with used OEM

Less capacity, less strength, and more expensive with OEM - yes even used. 

8 hours ago, skorpan777 said:

They work but the welds looks like shit!, and its not super quality. But for the money they are good.

I would rather go with used OEM

+1, they are low quality, but work.  Used OEM can be had for the same price.  I have tried them on several different bikes, KTM, Honda and Yamaha.  1 set out of 5 actually fit without modification.  Look inside the rads, weld slag all over, and dirty right out of the box.  I recieved one set that had slag loose in the rad, part of the goober of extra weld had broke off, I bet that would be good for the engine.  I have tried to use them, but never again.  You get what you pay for.

Send them to Mylers, for close to the same price you can have yours fixed and braced as good as new. That way your money goes to a nice family business here, and their work is excellent and fast.   Or, you can send your money to China.  The choice is yours. 

https://mylers-radiators.myshopify.com/

As a small local family business owner I know which way I would go. 

Edited by poldies4
17 hours ago, cdf450 said:

Oh man my gpi rads are taking an ass kicking. Still don’t leak though lol!! The branch that bit me yesterday almost broke my knee!! Bruised my LCL and tried to rip my rad open. Still rode with it like that all day.
 

You're an animal man.   I would never let you ride my bike. ;)

 

While you're enjoying Moab, this is the current situation here.  

 

image.jpg

Edited by poldies4
3 hours ago, poldies4 said:

Send them to Mylers, for close to the same price you can have yours fixed and braced as good as new. That way your money goes to a nice family business here, and their work is excellent and fast.   Or, you can send your money to China.  The choice is yours. 

Mylers are double the price. I've only had one set of gpi for my KX. Exact fit.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now