CRF250X and KX250F

I have had my 250X for about 4 months. I ride only trails also coming off an RM85 racing 2 stroke. I have to say, I miss the snappiness of tje race bike. People say the KX250F will perform great in the trails and still have good low end. What do you think? Keep the 250x or get a KX250f?

Although it will never compare to a KX250F in snap or acceleration, there are simple things you can do to un-cork a CRF250X.

Airbox mod, re-jetting an R pipe and silencer will wake up the engine.     R or Stage 1 cam, "CCC" mods, etc. if you still need more.

Don't focus just on engine performance, the overall package makes the difference as the 250X's

torque curve, wide ratio gearbox, e-start, lights, magneto (to power a cooling fan) and suspension settings all favor trail riding versus an MX race bike.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Don't know where you're at (location not showing), but can depend on your trails. If you're mainly riding open, non-technical stuff, the KX will work. Tight woods with a lot of rocks, roots, and big hills, the 250X is going to shine in spades. I had an '09 KX250F for a little while that I did a bit of MX on, learned early on, it wasn't any kind of a woods bike. I could have modded it into one maybe (couldn't put a FWW on it though), but the effort would be on the level of making your 250x into an MX bike. 

Boils down to where you're riding and what the terrain is like..

Ohio terrain, pretty mild. Some hills here and there but the trails move quick. That is why I missed the snapiness of a race bike.

On a budget get a YZ250 and set it up for woods riding.  If budget isn't an issue get s KTM 300 XC-W.  4 strokes have linear power.  If you want snap, go to a two stroke.  They're lighter and more nimble too.

I have a KTM 350 and it is flat out fast.  But it has no snap.  It's just a huge broad power curve that makes it so fast.  If I want to get over a log I have to clutch up the front wheel whereas on my two-stroke a throttle blip gets the front wheel up.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

On a budget get a YZ250 and set it up for woods riding.  If budget isn't an issue get s KTM 300 XC-W.  4 strokes have linear power.  If you want snap, go to a two stroke.  They're lighter and more nimble too.
I have a KTM 350 and it is flat out fast.  But it has no snap.  It's just a huge broad power curve that makes it so fast.  If I want to get over a log I have to clutch up the front wheel whereas on my two-stroke a throttle blip gets the front wheel up.
Doc

What about a kdx 200 or 220. I have heard those are great bikes.

1 minute ago, dsbeast17 said:

What about a kdx 200 or 220. I have heard those are great bikes.

I only rode a KDX once a very long time ago.  I don't really remember much about it.  But I know people love them.  As two strokes go they are setup to have softer and more linear power than something like a YZ250 but I still suspect they'll still have considerably more snap than your CRF250X.

Doc

• Like 1

I currently ride a kx250f and previously owned a crf250x. If you just change the gearing on the crf it's a whole new bike. I went from the stock gearing to 13/50 and it woke the crf250x up pretty good. But the kx250f is way more powerful and I have a lot more fun on the kx,  I ride woods and sometimes pretty tight stuff. 

I currently ride a kx250f and previously owned a crf250x. If you just change the gearing on the crf it's a whole new bike. I went from the stock gearing to 13/50 and it woke the crf250x up pretty good. But the kx250f is way more powerful and I have a lot more fun on the kx,  I ride woods and sometimes pretty tight stuff. 

Do you have any overheating problems?

Just now, dsbeast17 said:

Do you have any overheating problems?

The crf250x boiled over like crazy and the motor squealed. I never had a bike run as hot as that one did. Nothing I did kept it cool even if I got into 5th gear and got a lot of air going. My kx250f runs super cool, it rarely boils over, granted I have the boyesen supercooler on it. 

The crf250x boiled over like crazy and the motor squealed. I never had a bike run as hot as that one did. Nothing I did kept it cool even if I got into 5th gear and got a lot of air going. My kx250f runs super cool, it rarely boils over, granted I have the boyesen supercooler on it. 

Any problems you have found on KX, I dint know as much about Kawis?

Just now, dsbeast17 said:

Any problems you have found on KX, I dint know as much about Kawis?

Loves to have a high idle or it doesn't want to stay going, 2000 rpm or so idle. Not really a problem it's just different and with the high idle it constantly keeps momentum with no throttle. But I love my kx250f. It always starts first kick and snaps into wheelies hard when you rev the piss out of it. 

Loves to have a high idle or it doesn't want to stay going, 2000 rpm or so idle. Not really a problem it's just different and with the high idle it constantly keeps momentum with no throttle. But I love my kx250f. It always starts first kick and snaps into wheelies hard when you rev the piss out of it. 

I am going to look into it more. But thank you for all of the info.

The 250X overheating issues may be due to extremely lean factory carb settings.

Myself have added a cooling fan and no signs of overheating even when slow technical trail riding,

to the point I even removed the coolant recovery tank to un-clutter the bike and save some weight.

Edited by mlatour

2 hours ago, mlatour said:

The 250X overheating issues may be due to extremely lean factory carb settings.

Myself have added a cooling fan and no signs of overheating even when slow technical trail riding,

to the point I even removed the coolant recovery tank to un-clutter the bike and save some weight.

I do remember the 250x having lean symptoms like crazy, and the notorious accelerator pump bog. 

How do you compare a stock EPA compliant trail bike to a motocross bike? The Honda problems can be jetted away as well as the closed course competition only mods also installed. The Honda will still be down power wise but deliver a better ovetall trail experience than the kx250f unless you're hare scramble racing or riding quad trails and calling them single track. 

21 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

How do you compare a stock EPA compliant trail bike to a motocross bike? The Honda problems can be jetted away as well as the closed course competition only mods also installed. The Honda will still be down power wise but deliver a better ovetall trail experience than the kx250f unless you're hare scramble racing or riding quad trails and calling them single track. 

The crf250x was a blast in the trails. But the power of the kx250f is a lot more usable for the hills and what not. On the crf it's always be hitting the end of its powerband and I'd end up washing out and crashing on hills. 

5 minutes ago, Brad04 said:

The crf250x was a blast in the trails. But the power of the kx250f is a lot more usable for the hills and what not. On the crf it's always be hitting the end of its powerband and I'd end up washing out and crashing on hills. 

If you still have the X then do the CCC mods and try that hill once more. 

2 hours ago, shrubitup said:

If you still have the X then do the CCC mods and try that hill once more. 

Don't have it anymore. Got the kx250f and I love the bike. Super light fun throw around bike that conquers all hills and trails. Haul ass with the throttle wide open and control the brakes baby