Eric Gorr YZ144 Setup ?

Just bought an Eric Gorr 144cc 58mm 2006 YZ125 OEM cylinder and head from someone that had it 'sitting on the shelf'. It didn't come with setup instructions.

What is a good piston to run and why? Anyone make a good twin ring? Are all YZ144 pistons that I'd want to run, flat topped? Cast or forged? Leaning toward cast for lightest weight and quicker revving.

What is a good squish number?

I'll be running at sea level, so some recommended jetting would be much appreciated.

Is the timing adjustable on these, like a YZ250? If so, zero advance?  

I assume these kits come with setup instructions, and I emailed Eric to ask, but he hasn't got back to me for a couple of days.

I wish I had answers to your questions, but one thing I know, call him.  He isn't that good at responding to email, but he almost always answers his phone and is a very nice, and helpful guy.  

If you can, buy the piston from him.  If I remember correctly mine was a Weisco twin ring.

I had an EG 144, it was an 02.  Loved the bike, 125 on steroids!  Good luck with it.

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 1

I run the yz 144 58 mm wiseco piston with ti nitrate coated ring. 

Thanks, Joe!
Do I need to order the ring separately?
You running the Racers Choice, GP Series $162, or the Racers Elite, $172?
Looks like the Elite piston is only available as a single piston, whereas the GP Series is available as a kit. I guess I would need the kit to get the TiNi ring, gaskets, clips, small end bearing.
Need to drill the front, shorten the skirt or modify the piston?
Anyone heard of a ProX 58mm Yz piston?

I found I had to go right down to a 25 pilot to get my 144 crisp at of idle conditions

• Like 1

You will need to grind the cases, never heard of anyone shortening the piston skirt?  I've been out of the 144 loop for a while, is that really what guys are doing now?  Seems risky to me??

Edited by poldies4

Don't shorten the piston and yes you'll have to order the ti nitrate ring separate but it's worth it. 

Yes don't forget that the cases need to be clearanced for the piston at bdc. 

Once you get it going the other must do mod is a 14 tooth front sprocket.

• Like 2

Don't shorten the piston and yes you'll have to order the ti nitrate ring separate but it's worth it. 

There was a previous thread about Gorr selling a special piston with a shorter skirt and a stronger pin box. Anyway, I ordered the Wiseco piston and small-end kit. If anyone has a part no. For the TiNi ring, that would be appreciated.
Any suggestions on final drive for good second and third gear spacing? 14/48 for an expert vet?
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Swappa said:

There was a previous thread about Gorr selling a special piston with a shorter skirt and a stronger pin box. Anyway, I ordered the Wiseco piston and small-end kit. If anyone has a part no. For the TiNi ring, that would be appreciated.
Any suggestions on final drive for good second and third gear spacing? 14/48 for an expert vet?

I'm no expert vet, but 14/48 is what I ran.

• Like 1

2284cs = 58mm standard ring

2284csa = 58mm ti nitrate coated ring aka tin ring. 

Standard rings usually cost $15

Tin rings usually cost  $30

Totally worth it standard ring will last 10 to 15 hrs the ti nitrate coated ring will go double that. 

• Like 2

Swappa:

Page 12 of the Carver timing thread in the sticky has the YZ 125 timing information.

I use 1 degree retard for desert racing mostly for dependability on long races You may want to start a 0 or 1 degree advance depending on your Squish set up and fuel quality for an MX set up.

Let us know know how it goes as I have a stack of bad 125 cylinders I want to turn one into a new 144 soon?

• Like 1

A timing advance is a must do on the 144 over the 125 as a start due to the increased bore area....that and race gas equal more power as they go hand an hand..

Edited by 455
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:02 AM, SmokinJoe said:

FYI, Wiseco top-end kit arrived with the TiNi CSA part number.

Also, Eric Gorr recommended pilot jet size main jet 440, so that's where I'll be starting out. Needle in clip pos 3 and AS adjusted for fastest idle.