Oil Recommendation for 1996 Honda XR250R with Big Bore Kit

Hello all. I have a 1996 Honda XR250R that I'm seriously thinking of boring out. Looking at doing the 77mm (277cc) kit for it. After I complete the break-in period after the rebuild, I was leaning towards using a good full synthetic or at least a synthetic blend oil, instead of the conventional Honda oil. Especially since I assume the engine will run a little hotter with a big bore kit. However, I'm not sure what I should go with. What is y'all's opinion on this? Thanks in advance for the replies!

Edited by Rambler88

You will see a BILLION different answers to this.  I would recommend checking out Bobistheoilguy (google it) and looking on their forums for test results of any oils you're considering.  I personally use AMSOil because it performs very, very well and I don't want to change oil as often.  But that's just my opinion based on the bit of internet sleuthing I've done.  Everyone has their reasons for the oils they use, those are mine.  I'm sure others will chime in with theirs.  ?

Brandon

• Like 1

I appreciate the feedback. Something else that was ran by me earlier today was that I might should consider using 20w-50 instead of 10w-40. They suggested this due to the possibility of the engine running hotter with the Big Bore Kit. I assumed a good quality synthetic 10w-40 would have been fine. Anyone have any opinions on the using of 20w-50? I value all honest opinions and reasons for them.

I will always run 20w50 in any air-cooled engine, and especially oiling an overhead cam.  I would only switch to 10w40 or 5w40 rotella below freezing when the oil gets too cold and thick to start the motor. . . . and on an air-cooled motorcycle, full synthetic motorcycle oil, rated for a wet clutch.

Look at the graph in the owner’s manual.  

post-334269-0-24676000-1358786960_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I've tried a variety of oils in my 277 03.  I've settled on Lucas synthetic motorcycle oil.  Clutch works great, shifting is great, and the engine runs quieter than with any other oil I've ever used.  20W50.

I really like the Lucas semi synth 10W40. Been using it a while now, bike seems really happy. Oops, air cooled thread, disregard my worthless 2c.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, creeky said:

I had two XR280s, an 87 and a 96. I used Rotella 15-40 exclusively, never blew an engine although I tried. 

The secret with rotella is to adorn the 5 quart jug with motorcycle stickers. This makes it work great in motor bikes.

• Like 2

I have never understood the rationale for running car oil in a motorcycle. Bikes are a whole diffetent environment with unique needs in the formulation. Several companies make high quality synthetics withe the proper JASO ratings to run in a bike.  Amsoil and Lucas are 2 of those companies with high quality motorcycle oils. You may pay a bit more than the giant jug of Rotella (which for some reason is popular here), but you are getting an oil made for your bike.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

Rotella is not a gasoline car oil.

Its for diesels isn't it?  By car oil I meant oil intended for a 4 wheel conveyance.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Why question an oil thread?
ALL our machines have oil. Even if you go electric, you're going to have battery threads...
I mean the science of oil is different in diesel motors than gasoline motors. Rotella is Jaso-Ma and everything done to it to work well in diesel motors makes it an excellent oil for wet clutch motors.
Yes. I'm a cheapo. But everything about this switch was worth it. I've been using Rotella in bikes for 20 years. And I got a GN4 and HP4 hookup...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

Why question an oil thread?
ALL our machines have oil. Even if you go electric, you're going to have battery threads...
I mean the science of oil is different in diesel motors than gasoline motors. Rotella is Jaso-Ma and everything done to it to work well in diesel motors makes it an excellent oil for wet clutch motors.
Yes. I'm a cheapo. But everything about this switch was worth it. I've been using Rotella in bikes for 20 years. And I got a GN4 and HP4 hookup...

Ask your hookup for the Honda chemical labels so you can affix to the Rotella. Sleep better at night fo sho. 

5 hours ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

Rotella is not a gasoline car oil.

Rotella is API rated for gas and diesel. The big difference is the specs for 15w-40 and thicker oils are much better than thinner oils for cars, just what is needed for air cooled engines or HD use. Rotella is also usable for wet clutches while energy efficient car oils are not.  What more do you need?

• Like 4