Converting a YZ 450F into an FX.. Anyone done it?

Well I️ got in a pinch early in the year and had to sell my 17 450FX but am getting a good deal on a 16 450F and thinking of making it an FX. Basically.. I️ have done little cross referencing and looks like cases are the same as far as EStart stuff goes. For Estart it’s basically bolt on components like flywheel,stator, cover.. etc. does anyone know the difference in crank? Is it just weight? Tranny isn’t a huge deal because I’ll prob run a rekluse. More just want the Estart & bigger radiators. It sucks yamaha don’t do an Estart kit like Honda does.

The short answer is no. You'll need a new crank (different threads for FX flywheel), outter case, flywheel, stator, harness, rear fender, battery, relays, CDI, etc. And I haven't included all the little nuts and bolts, orings etc. I was somehere around the $2400cnd in pricing when I just gave up... 

• Like 1

I had a 450F and now an FX.  With how &%$#@!ed up the FX chassis and handling is by comparison, and how much better the power and gearbox is on the F (with the exception of 5th gear) , I would have rather just done a motor rebuild to put in the E-start.

Remember you also have 25mm clamps on the 450F and 22mm clamps on the FX.  The 22mm clamps are a step in the right direction, but there's more to it than that.

8 hours ago, GHILL28 said:

I had a 450F and now an FX.  With how &%$#@!ed up the FX chassis and handling is by comparison, and how much better the power and gearbox is on the F (with the exception of 5th gear) , I would have rather just done a motor rebuild to put in the E-start.

Remember you also have 25mm clamps on the 450F and 22mm clamps on the FX.  The 22mm clamps are a step in the right direction, but there's more to it than that.

Motor, frame, electrical, ecu, forks, are all exactly the same.

The FX has different triples, clutch springs, suspension valving, crank, electrics, and stator.

Raise the forks 12mm, and REVALVE the suspension so it is more agressive. Stock, the suspension is way to vauge.....

Ecu is different. Generator is different. Crank/balancer/flywheel are different. Gearbox is different. Swingarm is different. Forks are different, swingarm and rear axle/hub are different. Shock is different.

• Like 1

Yeah I do think this bike handles bettter than my FX did. The bike I picked up has factory connection suspension & link. It seems like it turns way better than the fx also doesn’t have the headshake. Took to the tight woods today and it worked good do need to gear for that though. Geared way too tall..

E start would be nice but it's not worth the money and work in my opinion. The 450F is plenty capable in the woods, up one or two teeth on the rear sprocket and let it eat.

• Like 1

Yes they start so damn easy!! Lol I was just spoiled on Estart ktm’s past 5 years.

I had intermittent starting problems on my F after about 100 hours or so. Couldn't iron it out - I think it was electrical. Only reason I sold the bike and got the FX. I can honestly say now that I would have rather just done a full motor rebuild on my F with how much of a hassle the setup and handling has been on the FX.

• Like 1

Yeah I did get off my F and ride a buddy’s FX last weekend for a min and it felt like I was on a WR or a XR 650.. lol