DRZ400s 14 / 47 - 112 or 114 chain ?

I am thinking about going to 14/47 gearing on new to me DRZ, but not quite sure what chain lenght would be a better fit 112 or 114.

I have read here that 112 will work, but as I am getting new chain and it makes no difference in price I would like to know if it will fit and have enough slack or am I better off with 114 link chain. I do fair bit of off-road and wouldn't like chain to be too tight.

Thanks in advance!

112-link and 14/47 was the factory setup on the E model.

I was told 15-44 or 14-47 was 112. But I haven't tried it yet.

Edit I meant I haven't tried 14-47 with my 112 chain. I have 15-44 with 112, installed currently.

Chain are almost always sold with 120 links. Cut the chain to the appropriate length when you get it.

I should add that most high quality chain have a very tight fit for the master link side plate. A breaker/ press tool such as the Motion Pro PBR makes the job simple.

Waste of money and time.

This is from TT, quick Google search

Ummm, yup,,it does :cheers:

Both the DRZ S and DRZ E use the same chain 112 links PN 27600-29F10-112.

The DRZ S comes with 15/44 gearing the DRZ E comes with 14/47 gearing .. the Chain fits BOTH sets of gearing as I listed.

If your not getting it to fit, your doing something wrong

Waste of money and time.
This is from TT, quick Google search
Ummm, yup,,it does :cheers:
Both the DRZ S and DRZ E use the same chain 112 links PN 27600-29F10-112.
The DRZ S comes with 15/44 gearing the DRZ E comes with 14/47 gearing .. the Chain fits BOTH sets of gearing as I listed.
If your not getting it to fit, your doing something wrong

What's a waste of time or money?

Buying to long a chain and spending time breaking it down to right lenght. When correct info is available that saves both.

Buying to long a chain and spending time breaking it down to right lenght. When correct info is available that safes both.

I give you a 8.5 on the Noob scale.

Walk into any dealer or order a chain on line, it will be 120 links. Any rider over the age of 12 should be able to cut a chain to length. In 25 years of riding I have never installed a chain without cutting it.

How long have you been buying "precut" chains? IMO it's a waste of money to pay someone to do such a basic task.

You are calling this old lady a noob? That's funny, no noob and have broken many a chain. But why when getting the correct lenght is easy. And since I've bought 2 this year with the correct link count I disagree that they will all be 120. Yes you can get 120 or 112 or 122, being the 2, I've bought this year.

you'll be alright with a 112 .. still its good practice to mock a new chain/sprocket combo up on the bike and see where it works out  .. it could be 114 or 110 may fit better in some cases, theyre all alittle different .. buying long and breaking it after you check it is the right way to do it ..

You are calling this old lady a noob? That's funny, no noob and have broken many a chain. But why when getting the correct lenght is easy. And since I've bought 2 this year with the correct link count I disagree that they will all be 120. Yes you can get 120 or 112 or 122, being the 2, I've bought this year.

Madam with all do respect, I would prefer to select my chain based on factors other than available length. I'm sure you're aware not all chain are readily available in different lengths.

As I've aged, I've become more fond of using the correct tool for the job. Installing a press fit side plate with vice grips sucks. So does using a ballpeen hammer on a rivet style master link. Tools such as the PBR should be in every motorcycle mechanic's box. No offense OP, but especially true for someone who has to post on the internet to figure out proper chain length.

The question that was asked was 112 or 114. This has been asked about as long as the DRZ has been around. The info to answer question asked is what I posted. And easily found with a quick search. Suggesting breaking a chain to someone who may not be capable or want to isn't what id call helping a "noob". And since we are apparently one upping. I've ridden 45 years, and mini bikes before that. Heck even had one bike for 25+ years, sold it to a young friend. Bike is older then he is. Only those last 2 chains have been correct length. Why, because it's much easier on my old broken arthritic body.

I use a cheap 1" c clamp to press my master links on. Small light weight and fits in stock tool kits.

I've also clarified my first response.

The question that was asked was 112 or 114. This has been asked about as long as the DRZ has been around. The info to answer question asked is what I posted. And easily found with a quick search. Suggesting breaking a chain to someone who may not be capable or want to isn't what id call helping a "noob". And since we are apparently one upping. I've ridden 45 years, and mini bikes before that. Heck even had one bike for 25+ years, sold it to a young friend. Bike is older then he is. Only those last 2 chains have been correct length. Why, because it's much easier on my old broken arthritic body.
I use a cheap 1" c clamp to press my master links on. Small light weight and fits in stock tool kits.

Ma'am I encourage people to learn to do things on their own, the correct way. To think on their own instead of looking for hand outs or the easiest possible way.

We shall agree to never agree.

You guys bicker like a couple of old ladies! No offense, Padilen. I've bought chains that required cutting and I've bought chains that came the length I needed. If I can get a chain at the length I need I will. I don't need practice cutting chains and, when possible, like to work smarter, not harder. But chain quality is certainly higher priority than a pre-cut chain.

Personally I have always bought 120s. Never more than a few bucks difference, and you get to save the links and o-rings if needed. I never bought to the tool to cut it either, just rode to the shop and they do it in 10 seconds.

On 11/13/2017 at 10:29 AM, HansLanda said:

Personally I have always bought 120s. Never more than a few bucks difference, and you get to save the links and o-rings if needed. I never bought to the tool to cut it either, just rode to the shop and they do it in 10 seconds.

For free?

3 minutes ago, ptgarcia said:

For free?

I've never been charged by a shop for cutting a chain, trading shims, or helping me get a stuck bolt out with their impact. It's nice to have a good relationship with a dealer or shop. Win win. YMMV. 

Lucky you, that certainly isn't the norm. 

I've never been charged by a shop for cutting a chain, trading shims, or helping me get a stuck bolt out with their impact. It's nice to have a good relationship with a dealer or shop. Win win. YMMV. 

Racer privilege. Same here.